Miami food spots?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
In Miami for my grandfathers 90th. Never been down here but cool place so far. Anyone have any interesting hole in the wall spots to grab lunch? I feel like Cuban would be appropriate.

Reactions: gbg

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
I'm not really a fan of Miami and haven't been in a while, but get out there every few years to visit family. When I visit, I always go by El Palacio de los Jugos. There's a few of them, but the one on 57th and Flagler was the best. It's basically a market that also makes some food and has seating by the parking lot.

I always get a frita somewhere and the fam usually has a new best frita spot. If you haven't had one, it's basically a hamburger with chorizo mixed in with the ground beef and julienne cut potatoes on a Cuban roll.

La Carreta was always a reliable choice for good Cuban food, but not quite a hole in the wall.

Reactions: afoaf

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Unfortunately I'm in Miami right now too. Only through Monday thankfully.

Unfortunately I lived here at a point in my life where life was one big party... I know the city + Dade County quite well.

What part of Miami? I may be able to help zero you in on something specific...

Admittedly I have not been here in about 10 years, but going on my food knowledge from back then...

As far as hole in the wall

Steve's Pizza off NE 123rd in North Miami is superb. IMO the sauce is the best I've ever had, if you consider yourself any sot of a pizza connoisseur it's worth it.

Montes de Oca (24hrs) has a few locations - I ate a considerable amount of food here while in an altered state. It is straight up reffy (refugee). Used to meet Cuban women just off the boat working there. It's the kind of place where poor Cuban families go out to eat. Authentic, grimey, mostly mediocre. You want an authentic Cuban counter experience go here. Your waitress may not speak English at all. If you are drunk order a plate of Cuban spaghetti. This is not the tourist Versailles BS.

There was a killer Venezuelan arepa place at Flagler and 107th but looking at the map it appears it might not be there anymore...maybe it is and just isn't listed. Worth checking out only if in the neighborhood.

Manolo is in North Miami Beach. It's comida Uruguaya...not exactly a hole in the wall because it's a chain from Uruguay, probably the only one outside Uruguay, so if you're in the area go there. Good empanadas too with a good variety. (I recommend this place as Lo de Carlitos appears to have closed - the lomitos and other items there were the cat's meow.)

Last edited:
Reactions: afoaf

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That is just random sh!t off the top of my head, there's so much more. I'll add more specifically for your area if you can tell me where you're located.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm not really a fan of Miami and haven't been in a while, but get out there every few years to visit family. When I visit, I always go by El Palacio de los Jugos. There's a few of them, but the one on 57th and Flagler was the best. It's basically a market that also makes some food and has seating by the parking lot.
Fvck yea, this is a good choice.(y)

Seconded on the 57th and Flagler location.

There was a time not too long ago when you could get a BJ to go along with your batido.:p

La Carreta was always a reliable choice for good Cuban food, but not quite a hole in the wall.
The Latin American chain too. Feels a little more hole in the wall. Both typical Miami.

MBP needs a trip into the bowels of Hialeah to experience the real Miami.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Thanks for suggestions so far.

staying in some over the top place in north beach. the family picked a nice spot for his 90th and he’s going to be stoked.

im open to wherever. Probably can only escape the family madness midday. Craving some good pork.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Did you bring a board?

Forecast is looking like waves this weekend...Bal Harbor can be sloppy fun when the sand is right

So North Beach. Was going to recommend a kosher vegetarian restaurant, Sara's, but It's apparently out of business as well. SAD.

Hit up Manolo and/or Little Brazil.

Perrada de Edgar = Colombian hot dogs and other unhealthy Colombian fare. A thing of nostalgia for Colombian immigrants. I'm not into it but people I know are and it is something special.

Pizza = Steve's

Across the causeway are a variety of Haitian restaurants. Pick one.

WarrenC

Michael Peterson status
Nov 30, 2008
Joe's Stone Crab, south beach
Its pricey
but worth a visit if you have time - think they open at 4pm

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I think we are hitting joes as a big family thing, looking forward to that.

casa, didn’t bring a board but kind of wishing I did. There’s some crazy sandbars right out front that look like they’ll get interesting with some swell. I’ll body surf if there’s waves. Thanks for the food suggestions thus far.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Cuban is the pick, unless you want stone crabs, then go to Joe's on south beach. Epic.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
If you end up in Orlando for some reason go to Fortuna for brunch/breakfast and while waiting for your tamale enjoy pastries and cup of Columbian coffee piping hot.