MGB-GT bonzer

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Anyone still riding these? Kind of in the market for a grovel/small wave bonzer.
I’m super minimal quiver-wise at the moment & I want to keep it that way. I have a mat, a 6’1” Mini Merk, a 6’4” Shelter, & a 9’6” log-but I’m not really a longboard guy. The mini b5/mblv never really clicked for me, but I’ve liked mini-Simmons shapes in the past, so I’m hopful this might.
Thoughts?

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
ciscojaws said:
Not to derail but how often do you get that shelter out vs that mini merk?
Admittedly not that often. Mini Merk is my go-to. I ride it 99% of the time. The Shelter is meant as a kind of step-up. I’ve ridden it twice since August & the most recent session I probably would’ve been fine on the Merk. I wish I had more cause to ride it more often. This is my second Shelter from Malcolm & I love it. If I were going on a trip someplace w/ good surf like Indo or the Maldives, I’d just order a couple more & be done w/ it.
With 2 kids under 3, I have to be choosy about my sessions...the Merk is great b/c it goes in just about everything; I’ve had it out in waist high w/ some punch to shoulder-head high. It obviously isnt the ideal board at the lower end of that range, which is why I’m asking about the MGB-GT...I’d like to spice up surfing smaller waves where I’d normally be relegated to the longboard. I figure that would round out a solid 3 board bonzer quiver.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I have a couple of friends that have this board for summer time that love it. But its kind of "off the menu" and forgotten. I don't cut very many of them. (this is GWS) That said, I was actually looking at doing one for myself this summer. Only I was thinking about putting a big rounded swallow tail or a big butt tail on it.

But yeah, not a lot of them get made. I'm not even sure if Malcolm has the design featured on his website. Another one I have been thinking of doing that isn't done all that often is a pod. A shorter than average, wider than average pod. I forget about the design. Then every time I cut one I'm going :facelick: Wayne Lynch has had Malcolm do a couple of them for him as I remember, so that seems like fairly high praise.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
i_shapes said:
I have a couple of friends that have this board for summer time that love it. But its kind of "off the menu" and forgotten. I don't cut very many of them. (this is GWS) That said, I was actually looking at doing one for myself this summer. Only I was thinking about putting a big rounded swallow tail or a big butt tail on it.

But yeah, not a lot of them get made. I'm not even sure if Malcolm has the design featured on his website. Another one I have been thinking of doing that isn't done all that often is a pod. A shorter than average, wider than average pod. I forget about the design. Then every time I cut one I'm going :facelick: Wayne Lynch has had Malcolm do a couple of them for him as I remember, so that seems like fairly high praise.
Yes, that in little round board dimensions would be awesome.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hey GWS,

How many inches from the tail would the trailing edge of rear side runners be placed on the pod pictured above?

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Thanks for the info, GWS. Much appreciated as says. The mgb-gt isn’t featured on the website, hence the post. As I’ve mentioned, I don’t really seem to jive w/ the MBLV, but have loved mini Simmons-type boards, so this type of shape appeals.
What size fin is being used in them w/ that wide tail? I seem to remember reading something about the 6.5” & 7” fins being too small & people using an 8” of their choosing.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
JKB, I don't have that committed to memory. I have some stuff written down at the shop, but I'm not there right now. I believe that the distance of the cluster from the tail is going to vary somewhat with the length of the board and I'm not sure where Malcolm makes his breaks. The stuff I have written down is for boards in the 6 foot range. Give me a length and I'l get back to you next week.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
njsurfer42 said:
Thanks for the info, GWS. Much appreciated as says. The mgb-gt isn’t featured on the website, hence the post. As I’ve mentioned, I don’t really seem to jive w/ the MBLV, but have loved mini Simmons-type boards, so this type of shape appeals.
What size fin is being used in them w/ that wide tail? I seem to remember reading something about the 6.5” & 7” fins being too small & people using an 8” of their choosing.
The 7" fin. There is a rarely seen Malcolm designed 8" fin as well. I have one. I believe it was a limited run by Rainbow fins. I've used it a few times when caught with a small wave Bonzer in bigger waves than the board should probably be surfed in. The fin rides around in my truck for that purpose. I don't think there are any 8" fins presently available from anyone though. Last I heard Malcolm was talking about seeing if he could get another run of them. The 7" fin should handle anything that you reasonably want to set out to surf that board in.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
i_shapes said:
JKB, I don't have that committed to memory. I have some stuff written down at the shop, but I'm not there right now. I believe that the distance of the cluster from the tail is going to vary somewhat with the length of the board and I'm not sure where Malcolm makes his breaks. The stuff I have written down is for boards in the 6 foot range. Give me a length and I'l get back to you next week.
Thanks GWS :cheers:

It's a 5'8.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Pretty sure Brandon snagged one off Craig’s in the last year. I regret not getting it. Was worried it would overlap my mlv. Sounds like it’s a different animal completely

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
i_shapes said:
njsurfer42 said:
The 7" fin. There is a rarely seen Malcolm designed 8" fin as well. I have one. I believe it was a limited run by Rainbow fins. I've used it a few times when caught with a small wave Bonzer in bigger waves than the board should probably be surfed in. The fin rides around in my truck for that purpose. I don't think there are any 8" fins presently available from anyone though. Last I heard Malcolm was talking about seeing if he could get another run of them. The 7" fin should handle anything that you reasonably want to set out to surf that board in.

Sounds good...7” should be the ticket then...this design & the Alpha-Omega have been on my list for years but I’ve never pulled the trigger. Maybe it’s time...

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh

I pulled the trigger on the Alpha Omega 6-4 custom order , came before i hit Cabo Monuments a couple weeks ago ,worth the wait , 5-10 200lbs paddled ran wild with or without me , Malcolm is a gem , and yes thought about this one for awhile till i said it was time finally to order

Cheers

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Ranch said:
I pulled the trigger on the Alpha Omega 6-4 custom order , came before i hit Cabo Monuments a couple weeks ago ,worth the wait , 5-10 200lbs paddled ran wild with or without me , Malcolm is a gem , and yes thought about this one for awhile till i said it was time finally to order

Cheers

Yeah Ranch :jam_on:

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
Cheers Jkb , when your daily driver is looking at black angus cows , and watching Rickyoray surf circles around me at Salt creek , the blind chicken finds a piece of corn feels good

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
10 3/4 is how far the trailing edge of the rear side flaps are from the tail