Mexico Hwy 40 - Mazatlan to Durango questions

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
A Anyone driven on Hwy 40 from Mazatlan to Durango (or vice versa)?

B How long did it take? I've read it is about 2.5 to 3.5 hrs, but curious if there is personal experience someone could share.

C The amazing Baluarte River Bridge...is there any viewing area that is better....such that if one is driving west to east, there is a better place than if you are driving east to west?

D Thank you in advance

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I wouldn't be too concerned. Drove all around Michoacan last spring and it was totally fine. Even during the night. Stick to 40 though and don't make any rouge detours.

Any drive in Mex seems to take longer than maps or stories suggest. Having boards really helps with the odd checkpoint.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
kool-aid said:
I wouldn't be too concerned. Drove all around Michoacan last spring and it was totally fine. Even during the night. Stick to 40 though and don't make any rouge detours.

Any drive in Mex seems to take longer than maps or stories suggest. Having boards really helps with the odd checkpoint.
Define all around. Lots of places I wouldn't go now that I've been before. Lots of problems in the interior of Michoacán, both on the Rio Balsas/Tierra Caliente side as will as the border of Jalisco on the other side of the state.

The Sierra Madre region in Sinaloa/Durango is traditionally one of the most dangerous areas in Mexico.

MANdingo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 18, 2009
Mexico
Did that with my wife and daughter last month (May). It was impressive to say the least. I did it from the start of the cuota to Durango in 2.5 hrs. Beat the hell out of the old 7 hr espinaso del diablo route. The ejiditarios they stole the land from had taken over the expensive toll booth and where asking for donations only.

Durango was a blast. Go and check out the old hollywood sets where the "Duke" shot a lot of film.

eLmuchacho

Michael Peterson status
Jan 12, 2002
Oops, i just posted an inquiry about Michoacan. Specifically about the Colima border and surf spots.