Mexican Food

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've eaten at Baja Fresh a few times. The salsa bar, as long as it's not torn up with everything nigh empty, IS nice. There's a very similar vibe place, Sierra Grill, at the JTB x A1A intersection here. Authentically not authentic.

Also, the times I ate at Baja Fresh, I think the deuces I dropped later singlehandedly accounted for the biggest TJ river sewage spill fecal coliform bacteria alerts in California history.

There's an Office Depot/Max Target something in Culver City where every associate has shoot-on-sight authorization, 16 years after the fact.

• Haha
Reactions: gbg and rts265

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Castaneda's in Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley. It's a smallish chain mostly based in the Inland Empire. I'm addicted to their shrimp and carne asada burrito, which comes in a generous portion for a fair price. Their salsa bar selection is unlimited and off the hook.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Legit Mexi food doesn't fvck with greasy fries. Think fresh fish and the like.

I would tell you about the best places down by the border, but they are already lined to the street.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Gringo or authentico.

Up here, I go to the Del La Colmena market. Downtown Watsonville. This place is Mexico, what Mexico should be. A little market. Veggies, a serious meat counter and shelves of everything you would find in Mexico.

Homemade tortillas. Taco counter. They have a huge sign board up above en inglese. Step up. The girls working will hit you up with "Quin Segue??? (What do you want?). If you can Hablo you gain serious points.

Real Mexican food. They will make you a Gringo burrito with all of the sour cream and queso. Real Mexican burritos are small. Solo Carne,

This place rules. The $19.95 Carnitas Special. Una libra of their home Carnitas. 1 quart beans, 1 quart rice, a dozen corn tortillas and a pimt of salsa roja or salsa verde.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Normita's in Huntington Beach. The owner, Norma, is not even Mexican, but the cooks are. Little hole in the wall that has the best fish tacos and fish burritos around. They don't skimp on the quality or volume. Cash only.
Sup with her? Those cooks are rad...but hte few times I've been there I've seen her treat those dudes like sh!t. Food is KILLER...but she tripped me out to say the least.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Gringo or authentico.

Up here, I go to the Del La Colmena market. Downtown Watsonville. This place is Mexico, what Mexico should be. A little market. Veggies, a serious meat counter and shelves of everything you would find in Mexico.

Homemade tortillas. Taco counter. They have a huge sign board up above en inglese. Step up. The girls working will hit you up with "Quin Segue??? (What do you want?). If you can Hablo you gain serious points.

Real Mexican food. They will make you a Gringo burrito with all of the sour cream and queso. Real Mexican burritos are small. Solo Carne,

This place rules. The $19.95 Carnitas Special. Una libra of their home Carnitas. 1 quart beans, 1 quart rice, a dozen corn tortillas and a pimt of salsa roja or salsa verde.
There's a zillion places like that in California. Most Gabachos never set foot in one. if you get dialed into one though, you are in for Mexican Culinary Gold.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
But this place is the bomb. Lunch trucks. All of those roach coaches that roam the daily strawberry and lettuce fields. De La Colmena (The Honey Bee). That is where the nest up. They roll in and buy meat by the hunderd weight.