Mexican cartels seize the avocado industry...

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Alcoholism is getting a bit normalized in this country.

The rates are increasing.

I think it's because many people are unaware of what alcoholism is.
IMO there's an attitude that as long as you aren't pounding multiple handles a week and getting hammered all day every day, you're not an alcoholic. There's a very fine line between 2 drinks a night and 3-4 drinks a night, and most people cannot simply cut it off at 1-2/night for 6-7 days a week.

What ifallalot described is a common sight nowadays, especially in coastal towns.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
IMO there's an attitude that as long as you aren't pounding multiple handles a week and getting hammered all day every day, you're not an alcoholic. There's a very fine line between 2 drinks a night and 3-4 drinks a night, and most people cannot simply cut it off at 1-2/night for 6-7 days a week.

What ifallalot described is a common sight nowadays, especially in coastal towns.
Beach Towns are a magnet for boozers.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What are you basing this on?
Personal observation. Most of the people I know are either occasional drinkers, as in not daily, or they have ~3-4 drinks on weeknights and more on weekends. I don’t know many who strictly have 1-2/night all week.

Even averaging 2 drinks/day puts you in the top 10% nationwide. You wouldn’t know that living on the coast, because I imagine that the Bible Belt/southern states skews that number with a lot of non-drinkers. Either way, IMO very few drinkers consistently ride that line, and most go over.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
This. Especially if you puss out and start taking a shot every morning to get rid of it like I started doing. Good thing I ran into a no bullshit doc. Might have him to thank for saving my life.
That is the sign that you must stop drinking ASAP.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Personal observation. Most of the people I know are either occasional drinkers, as in not daily, or they have ~3-4 drinks on weeknights and more on weekends. I don’t know many who strictly have 1-2/night all week.

Even averaging 2 drinks/day puts you in the top 10% nationwide. You wouldn’t know that living on the coast, because I imagine that the Bible Belt/southern states skews that number with a lot of non-drinkers. Either way, IMO very few drinkers consistently ride that line, and most go over.
I spent a few years in South Texas. Those that drank in dry counties more than made up for those that didn’t.

It’s 100 degrees back where I was just changing the oil in one of the generators and I’m enjoying a nice cold Coronita. Don’t judge.

Organized crime is involved in all levels of alki production, distribution, and sales here.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Seems to me anecdotally this is pretty accurate.

There's a significantly greater variety of alcohol available, especially wine and beer, and the marketing is clever and trendy.

The lower half of my refrigerator has become a rainbow of colors and artwork / fruity beers, IPAs, and hard kombucha. And wine. (None of it mine - all my wife's). Considering prior to 30 she never drank anything other than a Bud light a few times a year and a margarita was something she might order on her birthday...it's clear marketing works. Not an every night thing, and never more than one or two, but it's still weird she and all her friends have wide variety of alcohol they're into. Most of it disgusting.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Anecdotally my experience is the same.

And anecdotally the experience of other people I know is the same.

Often they will claim 2, but it's really 4.

Reactions: Ifallalot