Mexican cartels seize the avocado industry...

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
How do you see this developing and playing out?
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Just kidding. Its all rainbows and unicorns from here on out!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Interesting what with impeachment and ongoing criminal investigations dominating the news, not many sources mentioned Bagpipe Bill's visit with AMLO yesterday in Mexico City:

Every now and then I try to give you peeps a heads up, so perhaps now is the time for another reminder. The USA learned how effective a fascist form of government was from both Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany. There is simply no substitute for the positive economic effect perpetual war delivers from the co-operative partnership between gov't and private entities (arms producers). (In Germany, the wealthy were the "Junkers" (aristocracy, not company) who supported and financed Hitler's rise, knowing the eventual demand for "product".)

This system, as adopted (and prettied up for American consumption - read up on Edward Bernays) protects our global dollar reserve status, it employs 10s of millions, both directly & indirectly, and it drives $trillions in credit creation and financial liquidity. Once you know the fundamental factors, other trivial surface level elements can be eliminated. I speak of course in terms of general opinion as in "that's not a good thing", etc, etc. This isn't about good, bad or indifferent. This is about empire, and how large institutions control and benefit economically from these policies.

So, knowing all this, the issue isn't whether, but rather where & when? And, it's rather obvious that the where is MX and the when is now.

That's scary.

Barr is a scary, disgusting, man.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
who could have seen this coming?
Corrie. And she’s blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other. Her sense of smell and 17 years of living around cattle make her an expert bullshit detector.

The head of the LeBaron Cartel had his 15 minutes of fame y se acabó el pedo. Muchas gracias señor licenciado Barr y qué tenga usted un buen viaje de regreso. I told you from the beginning that amlo is a rascal in the order of the major league of rascals when he got elected.

My opinion of him has changed over time, he’s been around big politics for a long while, was “mayor” of Mexico City and ran for president twice before (the term here is six years, no re-election, the stories of presidents that tried to get re-elected is a tragic comedy). Up until this time he was a fist waving classic Hispanic strongman. Like a labor union thumper. Now he waits. He inherited an impossible situation no matter what he does.

Unlike Mitchell, I don’t see a major world war coming up out of this.

The doggies say hola and get well soon!

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Oh, it happened...
Yes it did.

They were everywhere around here for a while back in the late 70's early 80's. Varying quality. Some with really good weed and an opium drizzle. Some were pretty poor quality weed but still had that opium tar smeared all over them.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Yes it did.

They were everywhere around here for a while back in the late 70's early 80's. Varying quality. Some with really good weed and an opium drizzle. Some were pretty poor quality weed but still had that opium tar smeared all over them.
I’d still be interested to know how they did that. The opium drizzle.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Not sure. They were definitely a main item on the menu for a couple of years. Somebody had a real deal.T hey just seemed to show up here in the bay area. I was going to college. Then it seemed like one of the main staples for a few years. Then they were gone.

You had a handfuil of choices back then. The Mexican brown weed, full of seeds. Red hair Mex which still had a lot of seeds, the local if you had a connection, but it went quick and then the Thai.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
One of my good college friends from Oahu used to get these awesome care packages sent over from his grandma a couple of times a semester. Big box, usually with a coffee can in it. Always a couple of oz's of his cousins pakalolo. That was the good sh!t...

Times have changed. The Hawaiian was at the top of the charts back then.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Not sure. They were definitely a main item on the menu for a couple of years. Somebody had a real deal.T hey just seemed to show up here in the bay area. I was going to college. Then it seemed like one of the main staples for a few years. Then they were gone.

You had a handfuil of choices back then. The Mexican brown weed, full of seeds. Red hair Mex which still had a lot of seeds, the local if you had a connection, but it went quick and then the Thai.
Don’t know. Thanks.

Next?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the Zapatista thing in that Theroux book was really interesting

I knew the name, but didn't know the story

is there any more reading you'd recommend?

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Apparently there is now a new Fed program like the old Brasero program where US companies can sign up and get seasonal workers from Mexico. All legal. Above the board. They come here to the US to do specific work, they have their own supervisors separate from the company, they get paid subject to all applicable taxes. When the designated work is done, they go home.

Martinelli Apple juice has been experimenting with this this year. The cost of living around here is so high. The most fertile farm land in the USA. Where 99% of your veggies come from. How can we keep this area as arable, productive farm land???

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
the Zapatista thing in that Theroux book was really interesting

I knew the name, but didn't know the story

is there any more reading you'd recommend?
The Zapatista movement was a short chapter in recent history.

Sadly not in English.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
At least people in California are waking up. An avenue to be here legally, to have a job, pay taxes. Maybe after a couple of stints you get the opportunity to be a legal American???