Mess with John Palminteri and you will die!

Bearnie Slanders

OTF status
Jul 14, 2017
In North San Diego County at a beach that shall not be named: a kid with a medium sized boxer walks down the sand. The dog takes a dump and a chorus of bystanders yell "you pick that up!" The kid looks bummed. One old man shouts "if you need a bag - I'll give you a bag" The kid picks it up and leaves.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Some people don't like carrying around bags of stinky sh1t, especially for hours. Do you? If you pick it up on their way to your car, then you're not littering. Sure it's convenient to "forget" about it on the way back. I get that.

I don't go to high traffic areas anyway, that's no fun. Only place I've done/seen that is trails around Whitney. I took a deuce in those waist high rocks at the summit into the astronaut WAG bag (it was like opening the foil top orange juice at altitude on an airplane x50). Even sealed, my day pack stunk so bad and I was gagging every time I needed to retrieve something (deodorize solid waste my azz). Next time I'll probably only carry the WAG so I'm compliant and if asked by the ranger, show him my bags and say that I didn't eat, so I didn't pupu. :shaka:
Aside from the permitting lottery hell and marmots raping and pillaging my pack/tent, one of the things I dread about Whitney is the carrying in and out of poo. Not that I wouldn't do it but I would prefer not to. Usually I've just dug a hole, pooed in it, covered it up, and then just used a baby wipe, carrying it out in zip-lock bag. The ideal would be to do that as a day hike if possible.

Mt. Wilson and Black Star Canyon are on my hiking sh*t list (no pun intended) for all the litter, crap, etc. And I would wager that the same people leaving poo bags everywhere are also the same people blasting their bluetooth speakers.

There is definitely something to be said for the lesser-traveled hikes. Three Ts in Baldy area became a favorite of mine last year. Wish I had more time to savor it as I was racing daylight and fatigue attempting the 10-Peak traverse backwards (starting with Bear Canyon [5,740' ascent in 6 miles] took the **** out of me hard) on zero sleep and beginnings of what turned into a really bad cold. You only get a tiny fraction of the people up on Telegraph compared to Baldy or Cucamonga. Baldy is higher but Telegraph is the true gem in the area IMO. I am looking forward to doing that one again.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Aside from the permitting lottery hell and marmots raping and pillaging my pack/tent, one of the things I dread about Whitney is the carrying in and out of poo. Not that I wouldn't do it but I would prefer not to. Usually I've just dug a hole, pooed in it, covered it up, and then just used a baby wipe, carrying it out in zip-lock bag. The ideal would be to do that as a day hike if possible.

Mt. Wilson and Black Star Canyon are on my hiking sh*t list (no pun intended) for all the litter, crap, etc. And I would wager that the same people leaving poo bags everywhere are also the same people blasting their bluetooth speakers.

There is definitely something to be said for the lesser-traveled hikes. Three Ts in Baldy area became a favorite of mine last year. Wish I had more time to savor it as I was racing daylight and fatigue attempting the 10-Peak traverse backwards (starting with Bear Canyon [5,740' ascent in 6 miles] took the **** out of me hard) on zero sleep and beginnings of what turned into a really bad cold. You only get a tiny fraction of the people up on Telegraph compared to Baldy or Cucamonga. Baldy is higher but Telegraph is the true gem in the area IMO. I am looking forward to doing that one again.
I've only one Whitney once. Stayed at Lone Pine Lake on Friday, woke at ~3:45AM Saturday, summited (where I poo'd), hiked back to my truck at the portal, and was back in Santa Barbara, having a celebratory beer around 9pm. I don't think it's terribly difficult, just long, and easily doable in a day, but I felt the portal to LP lake was the most difficult part, so waking up with fresh legs was nice. On a side note, I stayed at LP Lake to avoid the marmot hell at base camp and upper reaches. I didn't see any where I stayed. I got in the lottery this for this Summer on opening day, and I'll probably stick around Mirror Lake which I thought was a bit prettier. Maybe one day at LP and one day at Mirror, or extend the trip and go up and over to JMW and see Guitar Lake etc.
I do a LOT of southern sierra backpacking (Sherman Pass area, Domeland Wilderness, far upper reaches of the Kern and Little Kern rivers, Golden Trout Wilderness) and I usually see very few if not zero people.

Reactions: Kento

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Ok then, fook Goleta. Is there really much of a difference between the people of SB and Goleta?
Check some pics of Arroyo Burro or Hendry's, and compare to Goleta Beach and you'll know where you were.
Was their a pier?
If y, you were in Goleta, if n, you were in SB.
Hendry's is generally more of a sh1t show with the dogs, IMO.

Reactions: Boneroni

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Check some pics of Arroyo Burro or Hendry's, and compare to Goleta Beach and you'll know where you were.
Was their a pier?
I can't recall. I don't think there was a pier, but this was 10+ years ago.

Edit: Just checked google images, pretty certain is was Arroyo Burro. I recall seeing a few guys surfing if that helps.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've only one Whitney once. Stayed at Lone Pine Lake on Friday, woke at ~3:45AM Saturday, summited (where I poo'd), hiked back to my truck at the portal, and was back in Santa Barbara, having a celebratory beer around 9pm. I don't think it's terribly difficult, just long, and easily doable in a day, but I felt the portal to LP lake was the most difficult part, so waking up with fresh legs was nice. On a side note, I stayed at LP Lake to avoid the marmot hell at base camp and upper reaches. I didn't see any where I stayed. I got in the lottery this for this Summer on opening day, and I'll probably stick around Mirror Lake which I thought was a bit prettier. Maybe one day at LP and one day at Mirror, or extend the trip and go up and over to JMW and see Guitar Lake etc.
I do a LOT of southern sierra backpacking (Sherman Pass area, Domeland Wilderness, far upper reaches of the Kern and Little Kern rivers, Golden Trout Wilderness) and I usually see very few if not zero people.
Nice! If I can every get around to climbing Whitney, I'd love to do it from the High Sierra trail side if possible. Not only has everything about that trail looked insanely awesome but I like the idea of no permit lottery needed and the ability to acclimate to the altitude over a few days. I'd really like to do more hikes around the Sierras in future. I love it up there. Hiking Kersearge pass and down the other side until reaching JMT/PCT junction was incredible.

I want to use Daylight Savings Time to get to top of Saddleback down here for sunrise but completely dependent on weather forecast as I have no desire to hike the 28 miles in mud/snow. Spousal approval too of course. :p

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Ok then, fook Goleta. Is there really much of a difference between the people of SB and Goleta?
That's the funniest thing about Santa Barbara. It's incestuous little town, where everyone claims to be friends and family with everyone else, while at the same time, thinking their little neighborhood is better the another.

The Mesa thinks it's better than Downtown. Upper West thinks it's better than lower West or East side. Everybody hates Montecito, because they are too rich.

Ventucky has nothing on Squirrel Hollow Carpinteria for being inbred mouth breathers.

But everybody is nice, as long as they think you are one of theirs.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
That's the funniest thing about Santa Barbara. It's incestuous little town, where everyone claims to be friends and family with everyone else, while at the same time, thinking their little neighborhood is better the another.

The Mesa thinks it's better than Downtown. Upper West thinks it's better than lower West or East side. Everybody hates Montecito, because they are too rich.

Ventucky has nothing on Squirrel Hollow Carpinteria for being inbred mouth breathers.

Long time ago, my friend heard SB had another name...."Santa Babylon"...that probably wasn't the first time some called it that.

....I am goingoutside now....never been....but I know people that live there.....

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Was their a pier?
If we go too long without rain the Pit smells like dog pee.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

I grew up on the Mesa and now live downtown.

Mesa is better but the people who live there now think they’re all that and then some.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
My intro to S.B. was around 2009. I was building a spec house on the upper west side. Wife was still back home. So I go into the Mesa Cafe for a burger and a b all game. I'm sitting at the bar, and a guy sits down nextg to me and says, "you know what's wrong with Santa Barbara?" Now I'm thinking it's a pretty cool place, and I might just stick around. So I said to the guy, "tell me". He replies, "All those L.A. people moving up here." I said, "Well. I guess that would be me"

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish