MEO Rip Curl Pro Portugal

tonyB

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 25, 2014
San Diego
Caio knew he had priority GM should have known that too. It’s not like the judge tricked anyone. G had one job at this point not get an int, there was absolutely no way CI would have won this one otherwise.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Wait so who should have had priority?

Looks like a poor move by Medina but they def fluffed caio score.

Brazilians are raging on Instagram, they are just as bad as they are in the video game scene. Annoying

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
The post show recap has it pretty good. They split a peak. Gabe does 1 pump and an air, lands it, kicks out. Caio get's a long wave, couple turns, few sections, basically twice the length of Gabe's ride. Gabriel is out in the lineup sitting on the peak. Caio is paddling back out for another 10 seconds? They gave priority to Caio. That's question 1 about the call.
if thats accurate, i'd expect a resurf. then madonna wins the heat, goes on to win the event, and title.
hes gonna win regardless
please jinx me

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Medina's been playing the priority game very close to the bone - totally within his right to have dropped in on Kelly on that wave back at pipe as an example. He shouldn't be too surprised if it bites him in the ass if you play the game like that.

For what it's worth, I think Medina got robbed, but welcome to Jordy Smith's world... it's just part of competing in a subjective sport.

tonyB

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 25, 2014
San Diego
A resurf? Are you kidding me? the fact that the priority call was debatable has nothing to do with the interference: a priority call is made, you look at the giant bicolor board and act accordingly, then if you want you contest the priority call and ask for a resurf. Rules are rules surfers don’t get to decide if they have priority in their heat a judge does.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
If Medina had priority I don't get why he did what he did. He was smoking Caio in the heat, do you really need to hassle him when you think you have priority? Ciao was combo'd. That wave was a closeout too. Pointless.

If he didn't have priority than makes less sense.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
The post show recap has it pretty good. They split a peak. Gabe does 1 pump and an air, lands it, kicks out. Caio get's a long wave, couple turns, few sections, basically twice the length of Gabe's ride. Gabriel is out in the lineup sitting on the peak. Caio is paddling back out for another 10 seconds? They gave priority to Caio. That's question 1 about the call.

Then Gabe is in the lead still with his one wave score. Caio needs a 2.8 or something. He takes off on a closeout, does 1 stock closeout turn and get's a 3.1? Caio wins. That's question 2. Did that one turn deserve a 3?
what happen to a good old fashion storming the judges booth disagreeing with their call. Gaby's passive aggressiveness to the judges cost him the world title ceremony at Portugal. only way he knows how to deal with is hassling in a heat. he's played with fire like that a long time and no got burned.

Reactions: Chocki

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
what happen to a good old fashion storming the judges booth disagreeing with their call. Gaby's passive aggressiveness to the judges cost him the world title ceremony at Portugal. only way he knows how to deal with is hassling in a heat. he's played with fire like that a long time and no got burned.
Felipe being fined and banned from contests happened.

also Felipe had already made it into the quarters So Gabriel couldn’t win in Portugal.

Update: Gabriel addresses interference via IG. English translation.
“I would like to explain what happened on my battle. Caio and I caught the same wave and each went one way. My wave was shorter and his was longer. So much so that while I was back outside, he was still riding his wave. When I got out the bak, I was so sure the priority was mine that I didn’t look at the priority sign. To my surprise, when the next wave came, I ended up going because I was sure the priority was mine.
“I ended making an interference. When I got out of the water I went to talk to the judges. We looked at the open images of the two of us paddling back to the bottom with an open camera angle. It was very clear that I arrived well before. And even if I had gotten along with him and had a draw, the priority would be mine by the rule. Because in the wave we surfed together before, Caio had priority one. I hope the situation will be reevaluated because an error has occurred. I am still very hopeful that my heat will be reviewed.”

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Did they catch the same wave? On the heat replay it looks like Caio makes it out before Medina. Yeah Caio's wave was longer but Medina gets a bunch of waves to dip, while Caio didn't have any to dip. Kinda looks like they make it out the same time. Hard to tell though. Also, Medina claims his wave - if he didn't do that he would have been out sooner haha.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
The wave they split (Medina goes left, Caio goes right) happened during a commercial break. I don't even see any footage of them paddling back out unless they show that later in the heat/contest. Vid below is queued up to the last few seconds of the commercial break. Int happens a minute or so after they replay the split wave.

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
Interesting re-cap on SURFER...

"Caio Ibelli is an interesting cat. The fact he missed out originally on the injury wildcard in favor of Kelly and John despite having a better claim summed it up perfectly—he’s the outsider. Even among the Brazilian guys who all run tight, he’s out on the fringes, and drawing countryman Medina was no different for him than drawing an Australian or a Hawaiian. He might be the single most annoying guy on Tour to surf against. There’s some quality you can’t quite put your finger on, but he rankles everyone he surfs against. Sends them nuts. Even the Brazilians. Even Medina surfing for a world title.

With 15 minutes to go, however, Ibelli was parked on a pair of 1s and getting smoked. Medina, as he has all event, had it dialled. Tight backhand rotors on the rights, big, drifiting straight airs into the wind on the lefts. The crowd and the judges dined out on it like a plate of barbecued sardines with a light salting. Medina had an 8 and a 6 and was not even being challenged. Ibelli needed a high 9 to take the lead, but was struggling to find a 5. Gabby was cruising to the quarters.

With 8-and-a-half minutes left, the pair sat there. Ibelli had priority. The broadcast crossed down to Strider crowd fluffing with a “pretty cool scene down here, 10,000 Portuguese fans, etc.” In the background you could see the priority boards clearly indicating Ibelli had priority. Cut back and here’s Gabby hassling Ibelli for the next wave. Huh? What did we miss? It was the most cut and dried interference you’ll ever get…but why did Gabby catch that wave? Maybe he just assumed he had priority and didn’t even look at the tower? Maybe he just had a brain fart? Whatever it was, only Gabby knew and we still don’t know, even now.

They called the interference and Gabby blew up. Joe had earlier called Charlie Medina a “really peaceful individual,” but Charlie was very fucking far from peaceful on the beach. Gabby was pissed. Ibelli still needed a 3 to win the heat, and Gabby started paddling over the top of him, windmilling him like an older brother. The judges generously gave Ibelli his 3-pointer and the world title was wide open again.

“He’s a competitive machine,” offered Pottz. “Have you ever seen him make a silly mistake like that?” Well, yes. The silly mistake is a Medina trademark. Whenever he gets lured into hassling in a heat he loses his sh!t, royally. For a guy who hassles as much as he does, he’s not actually that good at it. Today was Exhibit A.

But we still had no idea why he’d paddled for that wave. After the heat, they cut to Strider in front of a closed red door with a huge Portuguese guy in a red shirt guarding it. Gabby was in there tearing strips off someone. It felt like 2012 all over again; the famous final he lost on a controversial call that sparked tears and some impromptu furniture rearrangement. The red door stayed closed, symbolically blocking any explanation of the season’s key moment. For a sport that loves being a sport, they’re not very good at explaining it in sporting terms. Two heats later and nobody had said a word about the interference. They crossed down instead to street artist Mad Steez who explained his “weenified” color palette. It was a mad fail. The whole season had just been turned on its head and the red door stayed shut. I was quietly hoping they’d bring in Kelly’s energy healer to do a post-heat energy reading with Gabe—Gabe’s aura would have reduced him to ashes.

Regardless of what happened behind the red door, the title just opened right up."

OCTOBER 20, 2019 BY SEAN DOHERTY

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
If Medina had priority I don't get why he did what he did. He was smoking Caio in the heat, do you really need to hassle him when you think you have priority? Ciao was combo'd. That wave was a closeout too. Pointless.

If he didn't have priority than makes less sense.
Total brain fart by Medina. The int was the correct call.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Gabby grew on me of late, but gotta admit, the whole leveraging of his soccer mate's Insta followers was a cnut move. Disgraceful.

Reactions: Chocki