Mentawi Trip - Looking to Plan for 2022

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I'd love to book a surf trip to the Mentawi's next year, but have no idea where to start. It would likely be either solo or with one other person, and I'm not looking for "perfect" or "big" surf...just FUN, shoulder to head-high peaks.

Could be anytime between May-Sept. I'm in San Diego, and am a goofy foot.

Best time of year?
Travel/Boat recommendations?
Surf Camp or Boat Charter?

Is this good info?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Hi tenover, your choice for time of year is good. I've been on 4 trips out there and I highly recommend a boat trip. The only potential problem there is if you're going solo and happen to get on a boat with the wrong people it can make it miserable. I've been lucky and have made good friends that I still stay in touch with. I like the boat trips because you get to see more territory...I've seen pretty much everything from the Telos to the north and all the way down to Java on the south...3 of the trips were with Sumatran Surfariis, highly recommend those guys. There are plenty of 'hairball' waves out there but a good guide can find mellower stuff too.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
don't go May-Sept if your preference is fun, shoulder/head high surf.

Go off season when that size is far more prevalent.

Or go North to Telos that receives less swell than Ments in prime season.

If you go on a boat trip with people who want to get tubed you could find yourself surfing DOH reef surf most of the time.

No-one is going to want to run away from pumping Kanduis/Bank Vaults/Telescopes/Thunders/GreenBush etc etc to ride shoulder high surf at more protected spots.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
What freeride said you are looking at the prime months of the season.
I was there in April/May and the smallest day was HH+

In season:

Off season:

If I was in your shoes I would look at staying at a resort in playgrounds area during off season or taking a boat to telos/banyaks area.

Here is a thread about my trip and yewstreets after, lots of erbbers posted up tips here:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

diro

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Kandui Resort is tough to beat in terms of access to a wide variety of surf spots in the "Playgrounds" area.

I'd also highly consider the resorts of WavePark and Macaronis.

edit: If I was going to the Mentawai islands right now, I'd go to one of those resorts. I wouldn't get on a boat with a bunch of randos (COVID). At least with the resorts, you can spread out more.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
don't go May-Sept if your preference is fun, shoulder/head high surf.

Go off season when that size is far more prevalent.

Or go North to Telos that receives less swell than Ments in prime season.

If you go on a boat trip with people who want to get tubed you could find yourself surfing DOH reef surf most of the time.

No-one is going to want to run away from pumping Kanduis/Bank Vaults/Telescopes/Thunders/GreenBush etc etc to ride shoulder high surf at more protected spots.
Surfing those reef passes when they are pumping is something too when you are not used to it.

Reactions: santacruzin

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Tenover, from the pictures you've posted you're a very competent surfer. Don't be intimidated by the size of the waves when they are this perfect. It is way different than DOH beach break. DOH Lances Left, Thunders, Scarecrows are super fun waves and not scary at all. That can't be said for DOH Hole, Greenbush and a few others. There is an amazing variety of waves there and everyone should have at least one Mentawai trip on their bucket list.
The biggest worry if you are going solo, is getting stuck on a boat with a bunch idiots. During the day you can escape to the line up, once the sun goes down you're trapped.