Mental Healthcare

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I have a friend who’s mother is in an advanced stage of Parkinson’s with hallucinations and prob some other psychosis. It’s been a long drawn out drama for them. After multiple private aides and nurses quit on them due to her hostile behavior they got to the point where they’re trying to get her into a facility of some sort where she can get proper care but no one will take her.

This past week she had a fall and was checked into the hospital where she tested positive with Covid. She had to be restrained after getting up and going into other patients rooms and kicking and punching the nursing staff. Now the hospital is discharging her and forcing them to either to send her back to live alone without proper care or to come live with her son and daughter in law who have a toddler and a newborn baby that she’s been hostile to.

The crazy part to me is that this woman and her family are of means. They can afford to pay for a top notch facility. But there’s no facility that is willing to take her. What about the people that aren’t of means? What the hell do they do?

Reactions: enframed

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I have a friend who’s mother is in an advanced stage of Parkinson’s with hallucinations and prob some other psychosis. It’s been a long drawn out drama for them. After multiple private aides and nurses quit on them due to her hostile behavior they got to the point where they’re trying to get her into a facility of some sort where she can get proper care but no one will take her.

This past week she had a fall and was checked into the hospital where she tested positive with Covid. She had to be restrained after getting up and going into other patients rooms and kicking and punching the nursing staff. Now the hospital is discharging her and forcing them to either to send her back to live alone without proper care or to come live with her son and daughter in law who have a toddler and a newborn baby that she’s been hostile to.

The crazy part to me is that this woman and her family are of means. They can afford to pay for a top notch facility. But there’s no facility that is willing to take her. What about the people that aren’t of means? What the hell do they do?
Don't take this as my usual biting at you

For all the handwringing about Canada's euthanasia program, this is the kind of situation where a dignified end would make everything better

What do people do in other countries in a situation like this?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Dignified death/euthansia should be legal in America. Seems like it could be a problem in this case if it was being done against the mother's "will." Should someone else be able to decide "It's time for her to die" if she doesn't want to? Tough situation. I only hope that if I end up that way my son and any other loved ones don't suffer that much.

Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Went through a much more mild situation with my mother recently, very difficult and depressing. I know everybody says this but when my time comes I want none of this.

Reactions: npsp

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The American system is fvcked. I understand that state run psych wards were notoriously terrible. And I understand that some people are so far gone mentally it’s almost impossible to treat them in a humane manner short of full tranquilization.

As far as euthanasia goes, I’m a huge believer in death with dignity for the terminally ill. It’s a cause I’ll fight for and I actually donate to organizations who champion this cause. It’s a little bit more complicated to start euthanizing the mentally ill who can’t make the decision for themselves. That’s when you start getting into actual “death panel” type situations.

Reactions: mundus and hammies