Mental Health thread

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
If SurfFuerte can't flex or humble brag in some way about living on an island in the third world (with good waves), being a self made man, or growing his own weed - he hates...keep on keeping on and getting random ass (while young) definitely helps with the mental health if you're in a rut.

Reactions: Subway

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
They clearly need more letterkenny in their lives.
I love this show. It is good for mental health, I think. It's a bit of a show for boys (which I am, pronoun, He) what with all the slo-mo hot chicks (which I don't mind, at all), but it's so the opposite of the mean-spirited stuff that is most television (that I see anyway). Sad I'm getting close to the end of the series. Shoresy next I guess.

Do yourself a favor and delete all of it...it's incredibly toxic and you don't even realize until it's out of your life--Hang in there.
Goddamn I wish I could delete IG. Unfortunately, I actually need it for work because I deal with young people who need the ego boost of a "like" or emoji. I can handle about 10-20 seconds at a time and then I have to shut it off.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don't need any details so no need to say any more.

Would guess most of humanity has felt pretty low at one time or another for any number of reasons, which includes me.

As such, I've found some of the following to be helpful:

1 Quit/scale back intoxicants (alcohol, pot, harder drugs, caffeine smoking, etc) Scaling back may be best if regular user.
2 Clean the house/apartment/garage/room/backyard, closet/car/bicycle, whatever. Less entropy in your face feels nice.
3 Go for a walk after a meal to a park, along the shore, around the block, just get out of your home for a bit.
4 Talk to a friend, a tree, a stream, your deity of choice about whatever. Yeah, it might sound lame but just try it.
5 "Fake it till you make it".
6 Don't consume "the news" in any fashion...aka 'take a break'.
7 Office/social gossip? Don't listen.
8 Money is inescapable part of our modern life, but will not buy happiness. Yeah, sorry for the platitude 'cause I know happiness doesn't buy food or pay the rent.
9 First chop wood, carry water...another platitude, but take care of essentials first then branch out. Sometimes we have start fresh.
10 Hell if I know how other people seem to have everything without trying but I'm sure not on as many meds as most of them....meaning, take comfort where you can.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

Would guess most of humanity has felt pretty low at one time or another for any number of reasons, which includes me.

1 Quit/scale back intoxicants (alcohol, pot, harder drugs, caffeine smoking, etc) Scaling back may be best if regular user.
2 Clean the house/apartment/garage/room/backyard, closet/car/bicycle, whatever. Less entropy in your face feels nice.
3 Go for a walk after a meal to a park, along the shore, around the block, just get out of your home for a bit.
4 Talk to a friend, a tree, a stream, your deity of choice about whatever. Yeah, it might sound lame but just try it.
8 Money is inescapable part of our modern life, but will not buy happiness. Yeah, sorry for the platitude 'cause I know happiness doesn't buy food or pay the rent.
9 First chop wood, carry water...another platitude, but take care of essentials first then branch out. Sometimes we have start fresh.
10 Hell if I know how other people seem to have everything without trying but I'm sure not on as many meds as most of them....meaning, take comfort where you can.
Great list, man. Would only add "Get off social media," anything using an algorithm. Places like this can be good. Would avoid Reddit, however. Not sure if that uses and algorithm, but seems like it does.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

All true, just easier said then done.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Great list, man. Would only add "Get off social media," anything using an algorithm. Places like this can be good. Would avoid Reddit, however. Not sure if that uses and algorithm, but seems like it does.
Am thinking this is covered by #7

All true, just easier said then done.
Actualizing intention is often difficult.

Start small, build on successes....most of us do not win the lottery (metaphorically or literally).

By the way, maybe the closest thing to a lottery win I ever had was on I-5 about 15 yrs ago.

Was winter, we're headed to Death Valley.

Suddenly I see what I think is money blowing in the wind.

"Was that money?!"

"What are you talking about," says a sleepy Sweetie-pie.

"Yeah, that was money." Hit the brakes, pull over, then reverse back about a mile.

A stiff north wind is blowing $20s, $50s, $100s around.

I run around on the side of I-5 snatching bills willy-nilly, crinkling it up and stuffing it in my pockets.

Where's it coming from? Then spot money blowing across the two southbound lanes to the center median, so who cares, gotta get the green!

Wait for a lull, dash. From the center median, people in cars look agape at my idiocy of running across interstate traffic.

But I am collecting money!

More if blowing across the northbound lanes, but traffic is so much busier....weighing cost benefit ratio, wait for lull, run back across southbound lanes, make my way back to the car. I am crazy with happiness at bulging pockets of free money.

Sweetie-pie is holding a purse, and there is more money in it!

And ID. European ID. Vacationers we figure.

Oooooohhhhhhh, I feel the money going away.....

Looing around, I see we're actually quite close to a highway on-ramp, and then tracking back, there is cluster of gas stations and fast food places.

Someone put the purse on the car while filling up or something, then drove off, and at highway speeds, it blew off the roof.

Then as I continue to look around, about mile or two further south, there is a car parked on the side of the road, and people outside.

We look at the ID, drive to the people outside the car.

Woman runs over, tears. There are two kids with her, both under 10?

She looks like her ID.

Sweetie-pie hands purse over with all "my" found money.

We tell her there is probably more $ about a mile back where we were, but it is blowing around and running across interstate traffic is dangerous. I don't get a sense there is much understanding, and she seems stunned by all that is happening.

For a moment, there is this feeling like, "Does she think we ripped her off and are now giving the purse/money back because it is all part of some elaborate trick to get more?"

Then we say good luck and go.

Sweetie-pie estimates we gave her back about $2,500.

Took me about 10 miles to get most of me to feel like I did the right thing.

Last edited: