Mental Health thread

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yea. Except it isn’t.

Some people have legitimate chemical imbalances in their brain from a variety of things and struggle daily.

That’s why people use SSRIs, SNRIs, or medical pot, and other substances or medication to try to find a balance that allows for functioning in daily society

Microdosing to correct serotonin or norepinephrine imbalance is something that is being researched.
If that's the actual use for it, great. No judgement. Ideally it should be overseen by a therapist who actually understands the stuff.

It's the silicon valley dorks that make me want to puke when they talk about using it for productivity.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If that's the actual use for it, great. No judgement. Ideally it should be overseen by a therapist who actually understands the stuff.

It's the silicon valley dorks that make me want to puke when they talk about using it for productivity.
Therapists should not be overseeing microdosing. Psychiatrists should.

And yea the morons who act like the discovered some secret to tech are joe Rogan nut swingers

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Therapists should not be overseeing microdosing. Psychiatrists should.
Well yeah, that’s what I was getting at. Not something that should be self administered. I’ve seen wrong psychedelics have the opposite effect on those who are mentally ill.

And yea the morons who act like the discovered some secret to tech are joe Rogan nut swingers
More so Tim Ferris types but yeah :beer:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Yea. Except it isn’t.

Some people have legitimate chemical imbalances in their brain from a variety of things and struggle daily.

That’s why people use SSRIs, SNRIs, or medical pot, and other substances or medication to try to find a balance that allows for functioning in daily society

Microdosing to correct serotonin or norepinephrine imbalance is something that is being researched.
i believe in it - i just think you need more than micro doses to get the help it can provide.
The idea of using a sacred substance in small regular amounts just to make your workday and normal life pass easier is 100% pure tech culture Tomfookery :rolleyes:
It is being researched big time.

One problem with using acid for serotonin balance is that we build a very strong tolerance immediately after taking LSD. So for example, if you wanted to do acid two days in a row, you would have to double or triple your dose to feel the same on that second day.

A couple weeks ago I micro-dosed three times in a week, all while working, using increasing amounts every time because tolerance builds very fast for acid. I was pouring wine at consumer events, so of course I was drinking too. It definitely made the day a little more interesting, I laughed more than normal.

I do feel that I had a serious serotonin crash for a couple few days after the last one.

When I was an accountant and fundraiser (& databse manager), I used to micro-dose at work and I feel I was a little more creative on those days, especially wrt how to pull data.

Anyone see the film "Another Round (DRUK)?"

"Teachers Martin, Tommy, Peter, and Nikolaj are colleagues and friends that work at a gymnasium school in Copenhagen. All four struggle with unmotivated students and feel that their lives have become boring and stale. At a dinner celebrating Nikolaj's 40th birthday, the group begins to discuss theory of psychiatrist Finn Skårderud - that humans are born with a blood alcohol content (BAC) deficiency of 0.05%, and that being at 0.05% makes one more creative and relaxed."

underdog

Michael Peterson status
Jan 7, 2005
MAINEAGEBITCHES!
Hopefully you can keep your focus where it needs to be (her). Serenity is hard-won even in good times -- you'll really have to fight for it now. Taking care of her is a privilege -- you GET TO. Don't take that for granted. Much love and empathy coming your way.
:jamon:Yes Sir it is! Even when scrubbing C-diff infected poo off the walls.

There's a long road to true serenity from where we are now, but having the overwhelming love of the erBB helps me a hell of alot! I am incredibly greatful to all of you!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I just got home from the hospital and the quick update is she is still stable and swollen up. Every day she has had some positive step towards coming home. They want to move her to a rehab hospital now. IM VERY STOCKED ABOUT THAT!

I will update later my eyes are burning:cry:

Thanks for the Love!!!
Doug real name george douglas smith.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
If it makes you feel any better to be in questionable company, I regularly get the distinct privilege of cleaning poo off the walls, but also the bed sheets, the mirror, the sink, the bathroom countertops and one time, even the top side of a round lamp that hangs 7' in the air.... still, for the life of me, cannot figure out what an 87 yo woman would be doing hanging from a light fixture after pooing herself?

:socrazy::shrug::socrazy:

Not only disgusting, as cleaning another's feces can only be, but seriously intriguing!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

On the upside, there's not one thing I shy away from cleaning now.

:toilet::barf::poop::shrug::crazy2:

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Yea. Except it isn’t.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

― J. Krishnamurti

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Man I've been telling my wife and friends that for months now. Not only is it NORMAL to be at the very least frayed and frazzled after what we've all been through the last 2 years, I'm actually a little suspicious of those few random people who seem TOO well balanced after the last 2 years. And in the bigger picture, and more in direct reference to that Krishnamurti quote, we are still wired to be hunting, gathering, fighting off predators and the hostile clan in the next valley, and living in small clans/family groups. I don't really condemn all of society as sick, I just think our brains and emotional balance have only just begun to catch up to modern life

Reactions: bigglesworth

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Man I've been telling my wife and friends that for months now. Not only is it NORMAL to be at the very least frayed and frazzled after what we've all been through the last 2 years, I'm actually a little suspicious of those few random people who seem TOO well balanced after the last 2 years. And in the bigger picture, and more in direct reference to that Krishnamurti quote, we are still wired to be hunting, gathering, fighting off predators and the hostile clan in the next valley, and living in small clans/family groups. I don't really condemn all of society as sick, I just think our brains and emotional balance have only just begun to catch up to modern life
Would a stoic be rattled ?
I don’t think I’m rattled at all
Not that I’m a stoic, but I kinda naturally lean that way

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
hey you've been handling this like a champ, but you were certainly as rattled as the rest of us last year LOL. I will concede you seemed to have collected yourself and stabilized faster than most :bowdown: :shaka:

I stabilized towards the end of 2020 and early 2021, as our business still sort of slumbered but at least we could see signs of life, so it wasn't as dire as earlier in 2020, and we weren't very busy either.

But then BOOM May hit, all of a sudden we were inundated with RFPs and business activity, but our internal back office systems were woefully unprepared for such a mad rush of business, so I've gotten even more frazzled the last 6 months. I'm working on it, and the "pace" of business is staying strong while seeming to balance out a bit to a manageable work flow, so that's good. I actually "fired" a long time client yesterday because I've been putting up with his crap for 14 years, meanwhile he's like 4% of my billing and probably 50% of my headaches and time sucks, so i finally gave him the boot. Some young new rep with time on his hands and a fledgling book of business will embrace the challenge gladly, and get a major time-vampire off my back

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Best thing for ones mental health is to take a vacation from ones "Self".

On that note, RIP Veronica Forque, Almodóvar muse along with Carmen Maura. She committed suicide the other day, apparently she's been struggling on and off with depression all her life.

:bowdown:

veronica-forque-amar.jpg1.jpg

Thanks for all the laughs.

:cry::cry::cry:

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I'm actually a little suspicious of those few random people who seem TOO well balanced after the last 2 years.
Totally. I'm surprised that more people aren't exhibiting madness. My bigger realization is that everybody is suffering and our lives are arranged as as one large coping mechanism.

Stoicism definitely one way to get there.

Reactions: santacruzin

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I love how you rebounded that post with an instant gratitude list. That's honestly become one of my favorite tools in my mental health tool box. Whenever I'm all twisted up with anger or frustration or whatever, I try to immediately count 5 things I'm grateful for, anything from the soup dumplings I'm about to have for dinner, to the grandiose stuff like health, love, wealth, surf etc. Just bang, count em out, 5 in a row. guaranteed to change your mindset, at least enough for you to get back in your groove and shake off the blues for a bit

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Totally. I'm surprised that more people aren't exhibiting madness. My bigger realization is that everybody is suffering and our lives are arranged as as one large coping mechanism.

Stoicism definitely one way to get there.
word

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

― J. Krishnamurti

I'll take your JK quotation and raise you with a Willian Blake poem

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp,
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Reactions: bigglesworth

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Oh we are absolute miracles of evolution and undoubtedly the masters (for good or bad) of much of the planet, and have achieved immeasurable wonders in a brief amount of time. Hell I see the beauty of creation in a paper cup. Doesn’t mean we aren’t still more primate than we’d like to believe

I guess I’m just saying I miss the caves and the jungles man. I want to run half naked screaming bloody murder as I slay the evil tribe in the next valley with my axe made out of boars tusk, and then come home and impregnate a few of my younger wives