Mental Health thread

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
. . . I just clicked on this thread because I'm having a really hard time right now, and I guess I was hoping to read something helpful and encouraging, but after reading the posts a the top of the page . . . . jesus, fook all of you. You think older single women are the dregs? Take a good hard look at the single men over fifty. And did I already say fook you all? Because fook you all.
I said that. It was harsh. As an addendum, there is a good reason I am approaching 40 and have difficulty maintaining a stable relationship. I’m not exactly the pick of the litter.

But.....you’ve never made a judgmental generalization? We all do it, and could all stand to do it a lot less. I’ve come to learn that when I judge other people it codifies something and creates a standard where there is none. And ultimately comes back to bite me in the butt.

Anyway, I hope the hard times abate somewhat and that you feel free to express what you are going through here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and Witchipoo

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
@Witchipoo are you still playing the drums?

You can join my band and I can guarantee you all the 60 year old fat homeless Santa dick you want. (That is our main audinence.)

How are you at the brushes?

https://soundcloud.com/user698828797%2Fghost-of-california-2
I actually really liked that. I played bass and sang backing vocals in a couple of country bands, about ten years ago, but as far as drums, I only pick them up for special occasions, like that reunion show/fundraiser thing my old band did for me back when I was sick. I do play the djembe for full-moon pagan rituals up in the hills, but I've already said too much . . .

It's funny, though. The whole reason I clicked on this thread was because I was having a breakdown because the band I've been trying to put together for the last two years just fell apart because the guitar player can't stand the mandolin player, and instead of talking it over (I would have booted the mando player in a heartbeat - he wasn't even really in the band), just had a hissy fit and quit.

I've been downsizing my musical ambitions and general life expectations for years now, but apparently I can't even keep a casual acoustic party band together. I've been working on learning the violin for five years, putting hours and hours and hours into it, and all I wanted was to have a little band that could play parks and street corners and not have to deal with any of the bullshit involved in playing rock and roll. And even that didn't work.

I'm also super bummed about surfing, which is my only other joy in life besides music. I can't stomach the crowds and fuckery at Malibu and Topanga anymore, and I can't afford to drive very far because of the price of gas and my aging car. My regular San-O buddy broke his ankle, twice, so no more carpooling for Witchipoo.

Yesterday I seriously considered downing a bottle of Ativan and paddling out as far as I could before it kicked in. I mean, that's where I'm at.

Wait, why am I telling you bastards all of this?!?!? Cue the insensitive jokes and mean comments. . Except Al Soldano, I look forward to his input. Al will make it all okay. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I actually really liked that. I played bass and sang backing vocals in a couple of country bands, about ten years ago, but as far as drums, I only pick them up for special occasions, like that reunion show/fundraiser thing my old band did for me back when I was sick. I do play the djembe for full-moon pagan rituals up in the hills, but I've already said too much . . .

It's funny, though. The whole reason I clicked on this thread was because I was having a breakdown because the band I've been trying to put together for the last two years just fell apart because the guitar player can't stand the mandolin player, and instead of talking it over (I would have booted the mando player in a heartbeat - he wasn't even really in the band), just had a hissy fit and quit.

I've been downsizing my musical ambitions and general life expectations for years now, but apparently I can't even keep a casual acoustic party band together. I've been working on learning the violin for five years, putting hours and hours and hours into it, and all I wanted was to have a little band that could play parks and street corners and not have to deal with any of the bullshit involved in playing rock and roll. And even that didn't work.

I'm also super bummed about surfing, which is my only other joy in life besides music. I can't stomach the crowds and fuckery at Malibu and Topanga anymore, and I can't afford to drive very far because of the price of gas and my aging car. My regular San-O buddy broke his ankle, twice, so no more carpooling for Witchipoo.

Yesterday I seriously considered downing a bottle of Ativan and paddling out as far as I could before it kicked in. I mean, that's where I'm at.

Wait, why am I telling you bastards all of this?!?!? Cue the insensitive jokes and mean comments. . Except Al Soldano, I look forward to his input. Al will make it all okay. :roflmao: :roflmao:
Has anyone suggest dead lifting yet?

It's what I always tell troubled women to do.

Too bad you are so far away.

I always show up for band practice and play for the song.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I don't have much advice Whitchipoo, currently in a flat spell here and the water is full of fecal matter and flesh eating bateria.

I do recommend setting up a skateboard with soft wheels, cruise around a little bit if you can. Helps with the surf withdrawal.
If skateboarding isn't in the cards, working on other hobbies can help.
As much as I envy your waves, I do not envy the crowds out there. Can turn a fun session into a nightmare quickly.
Also another thing I do when I get really down on my surfing and im not having fun is body surfing. Lots of fun pulling into tiny shore break barrels and doing summersaults like a dolphin

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I'm sorry to hear that Witchipoo. These are rough times and when what you love doing no longer makes you happy it's fcking brutal.

Right now, since there's no surf, I'm pretending I don't surf. It doesn't help much.

Do you write music? Do you want to play covers?

I just got this app called "Acapella" which allows you to multitrack yourself. It's free for short videos and is really fun to play around with. You can also collaborate with others.
If you give me a song title, I'll write a little ditty and you can record a part on whatever instrument you want, and maybe we can get autoprox to lay down a guitar track or vocals?

I've been working on learning the violin for five years, putting hours and hours and hours into it
That's hard core. Violin is so freaking hard to play well. Kudos to your dedication to sticking with it.

Reactions: Aruka and PPK96754

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I do play the djembe for full-moon pagan rituals up in the hills, but I've already said too much . . .
Not enough if you ask me!

:cool:

I gotta think LA would be a tough place to connect with the kind of healing energy that only mother nature provides. The ocean is, of course, the obvious exception to that; but, as you've pointed out the crowds of zombie people sort of mess that up too.

Maybe try bodysurfing at night?

(edit) Having a good laugh at the thought of me of all people offering somebody advice on mental health :roflmao: I'm bout ready to blow a gasket, get a whole bunch of opium, steal a sailboat, and chase the sunset.

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Not enough if you ask me!

:cool:

I gotta think LA would be a tough place to connect with the kind of healing energy that only mother nature provides. The ocean is, of course, the obvious exception to that; but, as you've pointed out the crowds of zombie people sort of mess that up too.

(edit) Having a good laugh at the thought of me of all people offering somebody advice on mental health :roflmao: I'm bout ready to blow a gasket, get a whole bunch of opium, steal a sailboat, and chase the sunset.
Looking forward to your trip report!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I said that. It was harsh. As an addendum, there is a good reason I am approaching 40 and have difficulty maintaining a stable relationship. I’m not exactly the pick of the litter.
Wow, an unmarried guy on the Erbb who doesn't bang a different 10 several times a week? I take it your boards are all bigger than 5'10x2x18 as well? You might be the first . . . . . .

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
That's great mental health advice right there.
Day time body surfing too. And body boarding beach break that's unsurfable. That can be a blast.
I find that whatever it is that gets me in the ocean, I'm mostly happier after. I find there are generally more uncrowded waves for bodysurfing/bodyboarding too, so there's more peace than a session at any crowded pointbreak. YMMV

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Wow, an unmarried guy on the Erbb who doesn't bang a different 10 several times a week? I take it your boards are all bigger than 5'10x2x18 as well? You might be the first . . . . . .
There is something liberating about honesty with oneself.

Came across this quote the other day -

"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world"
- George Bernard Shaw

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There comes a point in everybody's life where they reach a certain age and realize they need to downsize their ambitions. It's a tough place to be but getting through it is incredibly freeing.
Shakspeare has a quote that when hope dies you are free.

I didn't get it when I first read it but I kind of do now.

--Sincerly Happliy hopeless

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
. . . I just clicked on this thread because I'm having a really hard time right now, and I guess I was hoping to read something helpful and encouraging, but after reading the posts a the top of the page . . . . jesus, fook all of you. You think older single women are the dregs? Take a good hard look at the single men over fifty. And did I already say fook you all? Because fook you all.
par for the course here, you have been here long enough to know most of us are idiots. Well meaning idiots but still idiots. I know because I am one fo the idiots.

sorry we bummed you out. Seems that things have been really tough for everyone lately. I think we are all feeling a bit of anxiety and despair because sh!t is fucked up.

And the crowds! the worst , hopefully things get a bit brighter for you.