Mental Health thread

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Damn, underdog, sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through. That's horrible. Wishing you both the best and hope for positive prognoses on all fronts.

Reactions: underdog

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Congrats on the anniversary underdog!
Glad the further details on the shitty diagnosis are relatively less shitty!
Stay strong and stay positive and have fun blowing sh!t up!

Reactions: underdog

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Suicide is as old as time.

I say if you want to go, go.

Try to be considerate of the people who have to clean up your mess.

That is not a popular position, but I am not a popular guy.
This is how I feel about it. None of us ask to be born (as far as we know), and if you don't want to keep going then you shouldn't be forced to. What sucks is the aftermath for everyone still alive that loves and depends on you.

Lost my best friend from college to this about a month ago. His life from his mid-30s on was a mess by just about every metric. He was looking at another 3-4 decades without much in the way of job skills and financial security, let alone the motivation to get himself out of bed every day to get it back together, in addition to what was probably some bad brain chemistry. I think he saw that reality in combination with his own misery and other issues he was facing and said, "no thanks- not doing it". Ended up having a psychotic episode a few months ago, followed by other issues and eventual a deep depression that ate away at him until he finally did the deed.

What I wonder is if those issues were always under the surface and really came to life once he started having real life issues. He could get pretty nasty in arguments, far beyond the point of what's a 10 on the anger scale for most of us. I wish he could've gotten the help he needed, but even then I'm not sure if he had it in him to the work at that point. Mental illness sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: npsp, afoaf and r32

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
This is how I feel about it. None of us ask to be born (as far as we know), and if you don't want to keep going then you shouldn't be forced to. What sucks is the aftermath for everyone still alive that loves and depends on you.

Lost my best friend from college to this about a month ago. His life from his mid-30s on was a mess by just about every metric. He was looking at another 3-4 decades without much in the way of job skills and financial security, let alone the motivation to get himself out of bed every day to get it back together, in addition to what was probably some bad brain chemistry. I think he saw that reality in combination with his own misery and other issues he was facing and said, "no thanks- not doing it". Ended up having a psychotic episode a few months ago, followed by other issues and eventual a deep depression that ate away at him until he finally did the deed.

What I wonder is if those issues were always under the surface and really came to life once he started having real life issues. He could get pretty nasty in arguments, far beyond the point of what's a 10 on the anger scale for most of us. I wish he could've gotten the help he needed, but even then I'm not sure if he had it in him to the work at that point. Mental illness sucks.
It was there before.

Bad circumstances and situations bring it to the forefront.

It's harder than life itself.

Don't ask me how I know.

:socrazy::censored::unsure:(n)o_O

Reactions: grapedrink

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
friend texted me last night when I was in bed that he needed some kelp.
For some reason I obliged, when I met him at the bar around the corner he was out of his mind very drunk saying he decided to end it all.
I was trying to tell him to chill because someone was gonna freak out on him or call authorities. Walked him to my place and let him talk for awhile. He is manic as hell and fixated on his ex, if he can't win her back its game over. Apparently he had done mushrooms the day before and the big revelation was that everything means nothing so fook it.

sheesh man, told him he needs to take a few weeks no more drinking or drugs and focus on a single day at a time, if that's too much an hour, etc.

I know some people can benefit from psychedelics but it can also throw people further into the deep end.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
If the person that takes their life is young, it is the worst, most horrible thing to endure for the parents, siblings and those who are close to them.
I believe some people have the switch in their brain that allows them to carry through with the act. Most don't and that makes super hard to comprehend.
The best therapy in the world can't fix a bad day for some people..... It really sucks for the survivors to pick up the pieces.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
friend texted me last night when I was in bed that he needed some kelp.
For some reason I obliged, when I met him at the bar around the corner he was out of his mind very drunk saying he decided to end it all.
I was trying to tell him to chill because someone was gonna freak out on him or call authorities. Walked him to my place and let him talk for awhile. He is manic as hell and fixated on his ex, if he can't win her back its game over. Apparently he had done mushrooms the day before and the big revelation was that everything means nothing so fook it.

sheesh man, told him he needs to take a few weeks no more drinking or drugs and focus on a single day at a time, if that's too much an hour, etc.

I know some people can benefit from psychedelics but it can also throw people further into the deep end.
that's rough. you're a good friend

divorce is a tough row to hoe....my friend said "it's going to take five years"

it seemed excessive, but I think he was pretty spot on with that estimate

a domesticated man can do very well for himself in his second act

I tell my sons, men get more powerful and good looking with age...women hit the wall at 35 and
then it's a downward spiral - don't get shacked up until you're 40, at least!

you gotta remind this guy he's got the power of greyskull in him

1626118432260.png

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
yea my mate is a few years younger than me, the bi-polar, or the manic depressive type of behavior patterns trip me out.
I always dealt with depression but it never seems to intensify into mania and subside, seems like just a constant slow burn that i've learned to live with like a long term injury.

My mate was on top of the world a few months ago and then now he's at the bottom mentally despite things looking up for him.

My gf freaked out Friday because our neighbors slam the door too much and it shakes our sh!t box apartment. she was full on crying and shaking because the neighbor made a snide remark about the ring camera we installed. Dude get a grip. I was trying to help her but she's going to have to find a healthy way to cope or she's going to implode.
Trying to be nice and understanding but I know i probably was looking at her like she was an alien.
I feel like im the friend everyone comes to with their problems, like bro i can't help you! I'm still arguing with Duus on surfer forum... but sure come vent. lol