Mental Health thread

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Going back to school was the best thing I ever did as far as my professional career goes.

I ended up (staying) in a line of work that was completely different from what I originally went to school for. But i did realize I enjoyed what I did, but had a hard time seeing a future in it. I went back again, and I don’t know how old you are, but to redo it in your later in my twenties was weird at first. In the end I got a good job while still doing my degree that I currently hold a few positions at and got a much clearer vision of my career path.

it got me into a position I was not only appreciated more as an individual, but also compensation wise.

do it. Kelpcutter gave the best advice I could imagine. That’s what kept me going when I was working a 60hr job and going to school at night, getting home at 2am for three years.
I was successful but unhappy so I changed careers in my mid-40s. Best thing I ever did. New career paid a lot less but quality of life skyrocketed and stress plumetted. Wife took one for the team and went back to work full-time to allow me to switch careers; I owe her big time for that and whenever we are in a fight she reminds me of that fact :-/

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
I was successful but unhappy so I changed careers in my mid-40s. Best thing I ever did. New career paid a lot less but quality of life skyrocketed and stress plumetted. Wife took one for the team and went back to work full-time to allow me to switch careers; I owe her big time for that and whenever we are in a fight she reminds me of that fact :-/
Similar for me. When I finally finished my degree my career took off. I was riding the tech bubble, making big $$$ and working long hours. It was great for the ego but didn't leave room for family or fun. I took a serious reduction in pay for a 9-5 job and got my life back. It was supposed to be temporary, but ended up being a career. Sometimes I missed the fast pace and excitement, but looking back it was the best decision I could have made.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Career change at 44, went to get degree to teach elementary. Make less, but was smarter about saving, real estate... so the reduced pay doesn't crush us. Best thing ever for more time, and time is gold. And, marrying up REALLY helps in making it work :roflmao: :cheers:

Reactions: kelpcutter

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I did the opposite.

Finished college super early, by my academic standards anyway. At 17 in the entry level work force in finance. Learned in 6 months that vertical rise was next to impossible in banking/finance, unless those above you died. Started horizontally rising by playing banks against each other. Reached 2 poitions from the CEO and son of the owners by 20. Retired at 33 for health reasons.

Never looked back.

Work sux, go surfing was my ethos.... It's gone pretty friggin well in that sense.

:dancing: working for others/paycheck to paycheck.

:waving::shaka: earning a living for yourself and your own.

Good luck, lifepaths aren't easy to choose correctly, as noone has a crystal ball.

:applause2::bowdown::waving:

underdog

Michael Peterson status
Jan 7, 2005
MAINEAGEBITCHES!
Not sure where to start with this misery parade I have going on...
I resigned my position w/SSA last Monday.(sh!t job w/ crap training)after almost 3 years.
God decided to sh!t on us on Tuesday. Wife has been diagnosed w/ breast cancer. We'll know stage tomorrow after her biopsy tomorrow. Doing the best I can to put on a brave face as we are both scared as fuck!
Need positive vibes wherever we can get them!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Aruka and Boneroni

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Not sure where to start with this misery parade I have going on...
I resigned my position w/SSA last Monday.(sh!t job w/ crap training)after almost 3 years.
God decided to sh!t on us on Tuesday. Wife has been diagnosed w/ breast cancer. We'll know stage tomorrow after her biopsy tomorrow. Doing the best I can to put on a brave face as we are both scared as fook!
Need positive vibes wherever we can get them!
Hang in there, brother
Sending good vibes and rooting for the underdog

Reactions: Aruka and underdog

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Hang in there underdog. It's a good time to be looking for work in most markets. Hope you find something better soon. Best wishes for your wife. Be strong, she needs you now.