Mental Health thread

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Long time ago for me, but I still remember it like it was yesterday. Ever present in my memory.

Started with cold showers, before the baths.
1st 10 secs x limb, then 10 secs per front back of torso, then 60 secs, 30 secs per side entire body. Presto, you're down with two minutes of cold water.

Then baths, start slow. With the idea, before you enter, that no matter how short you last, you WILL stay 10 secs longer. I got to 30 secs my 1st time, was held in for 10 secs after asking to be let out. Extend as able, we all react differently to cold, just like we all react differently to everything.

Once 2 minutes was down in an ice bath... it was an animal feeding trough that fit two. We were 4, so 2 @ a time, held by their partners... we went outside, backpacking in the Trinity Mountains, same 4. We did the same routine, only in snow melt creeks on the way up; by the time we reached the top after a couple of days, taking it easy to fit everyones pace, we were all 4 swimming in alpine lakes, friggid cold. The cleanest water you ever saw though.

It was incredible. But now, I stick to cold showers 2 minutes, as we started with. It's enough to get the blood flowing and energize me, especially when I close my eyes and see myself in those lakes... then I can go more than 2 minutes.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
How does it compare to a traditional? Do you sweat as much? I don't like how they don't get as hot, but maybe that doesn't matter because of the penetration or whatever. Haven't been inside one yet.

Pretty much impossible to find a compact traditional sauna, so i may go infrared just because of that.
I’m sitting in it now, no gay code suggested. Makes you sweat like crazy, especially if taken right after a bike ride or other HIIT workout. And all you need is to get to that point where you feel “hot as hell” then the saunas work is done, both for immune health and muscle aches and pains and even stress relief. I’ll be much mellower to do a couple more hours of work afterwards, before dinner. For me that means 12-15 minutes. Sometimes 20 if my back or muscles are aching badly enough to warrant some more heat. Heat= recovery for strained hard worked muscles. Here is my 2 person unit (wife sometimes joins :waving:) with tushy towel and Bluetooth soundbox for the mellow jams
C34298C3-DAA1-4F05-8F79-8B36DD5087D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I’m sitting in it now, no gay code suggested. Makes you sweat like crazy, especially if taken right after a bike ride or other HIIT workout. And all you need is to get to that point where you feel “hot as hell” then the saunas work is done, both for immune health and muscle aches and pains and even stress relief. I’ll be much mellower to do a couple more hours of work afterwards, before dinner. For me that means 12-15 minutes. Sometimes 20 if my back or muscles are aching badly enough to warrant some more heat. Heat= recovery for strained hard worked muscles. Here is my 2 person unit (wife sometimes joins :waving:) with tushy towel and Bluetooth soundbox for the mellow jams
View attachment 105592
I’m gunna get one and make it my home office. I’m getting a little worn out being on a video for 6-7 hrs a day. That and 4 kids.

make and model, please?

Reactions: b.r.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
View attachment 105592
Make one that doubles as a toilet and I'm in.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m gunna get one and make it my home office. I’m getting a little worn out being on a video for 6-7 hrs a day. That and 4 kids.

make and model, please?
JNH lifestyles. Literally comes ready for easy assembly with latches and what not. But I was remodeling both upstairs bathrooms at the time so I just had the contractors crew assemble it. Runs off a normal household socket, no special wiring Or converter needed.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Perspective... 100% the name of the mental health game, imho.

Finally got 100% off the Xanax for sleeping aids, a week before scheduled.

It cost me some tossing and turning nights, but in the end, a very helpful friends advice helped me put perspective on the situation.

I now do WTF I want when TF I feel.

If I can't sleep a night, siesta for 3-5 hours the next day makes up for it... I have Time.

If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm tired, I rest. If I'm horny, I hump. If I'm wrestless, I surf. If the surf is carp, I garden.

Been sleeping a lot better 4-5 days after the last day I took the last 0.5 mg of Xanax.

Right now, my only meds are grown by myself at my home. Shooting for the same with my food, hopefully within a 2-3 year period realistically I could be 70-80% food self-sufficient.

The perspective shone on my situation by stepping outside my "box" has done wonders for my mental health lately.

Hope that helps someone else.

:bowdown::waving::shaka:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Near death experiences, or anything putting you into fight/flight response, tend to have this effect.

There are other ways though.

Nice warm ones too... Try meditation.

Gerry Lopez says it works. He knows a thing or two.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Near death experiences, or anything putting you into fight/flight response, tend to have this effect.

There are other ways though.

Nice warm ones too... Try meditation.

Gerry Lopez says it works. He knows a thing or two.
I used to have his posters on my wall and now live less than a click from his house. I walk my dogs through his neighborhood. Trippy.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I've taken up TM again. Really seems to work well. Gives me a ton of energy, but not the kind of energy that won't wear off at night, but then again I've always slept through the night very well.

I would highly recommend. I learned when I was a kid (my parents were both TM teachers), and I gave it up for many years because as a 13 yo kid i didn't see any benefits. I guess I just needed ~25 years of experience and stress to figure out how it could help me :roflmao:

It's about 20 min in the morning, and 20min in the evening of mantra meditation. I like it because even if your brain won't shut off and you feel like you hardly meditated at all, it still works.

FYI, it's not religious at all.

From wiki:
"Transcendental Meditation (TM) refers to a specific form of silent meditation and the organizations that constitute the Transcendental Meditation movement.[1][2] Maharishi Mahesh Yogi created and introduced the TM technique and TM movement in India in the mid-1950s. Advocates of TM claim that the technique promotes a state of relaxed awareness, stress-relief, creativity, and efficiency, as well as physiological benefits such as reducing the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure.[3] The technique is also purported to allow practitioners to experience higher states of consciousness.[4]

The TM technique involves the use of a silently-used sound called a mantra, and is practiced for 15–20 minutes twice per day. It is taught by certified teachers through a standard course of instruction, which costs a fee that varies by country. According to the Transcendental Meditation movement, it is a non-religious method for relaxation, stress reduction, and self-development.

Research on the effects of the meditation technique itself have yielded results ranging from inconclusive to clinically significant in support of its therapeutic value.[12][13][14][15][16] More research is needed to conclusively determine the therapeutic effects of meditation practices,[17][18][19] although the quality of research is improving, with some researchers stating that scientific evidence supports the therapeutic value of the technique.[20][21][22]"

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Count my blessings, remember to take a few deep breathes, exercise, a little yoga, or even just listening to my wife teach zoom yoga downstairs helps lol

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Lately, my mental health is tied to my mother wearing her daipers to bed at night, or not.

If yes, mental health all good.

If no, mental health suffers greatly, especially when she blows.

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yall ever catch yourself being manic? Realized I was on some chit yesterday had to try and relax. Kinda scared me
Several times a week, some times. I channel that into work, trip planning, my shrink, my wife etc. surfing when we actually have surf. Spin and or lift heavy things

Reactions: Boneroni