Mental Health thread

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
after four months, some of us working "lucky ones" are just physically and emotionally burnt out.
These "essential" front line workers such as hospital staff, first responders, grocers, maintenance crews and financial infrastructure workers have been going a million miles an hour since the lockdowns when everyone went into hiding and financial panic mode.

Workloads have been like over 200% normal volumes with 50%-75% less staff sheltering in place working remotely.
Seems like this term essential really meant sacrificial when it comes to a pandemic.
For those of us at risk essentials "required" to come in because of jobs we are responsible for everyday is a gamble where the odds gets worse for you over time as the contagion spreads due to others

This burnout is happening everywhere among those originally defined essential worker populations along with the psychological impacts they have been dealing within their occupations.
The damage done to this critical sector of society is being washed over by all the existential arguments the rest of society seems to be having among themselves.
And this population is again being taken for granted and many may not be there after all this is over for one reason or another. Then what when the next pandemic comes from wherever?

Like the PD after Floyd BLM, who would want to do these dangerous jobs for the compensation the provide?

Teachers will be next if we continue on the current path.
My sister the teacher wants to quit and she is a GREAT teacher.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
It is time to reinvent yourself, if your mental health is suffering due to your employment situation... Period, no other solution.

Change is life. Stagnation is death.

Carreer-wise, and in so many other aspects.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I've had enough change the last 11 months than you. I'd prefer a return to normal. Makes me appreciate all of those stressful and even traumatic years of big billing, too much work, and big commission checks. although a confluence of a "return to normal billing" coupled with the inefficiencies of remote work could be disastrous in its own right. My current assistant gets stressed out on the random days that i get a little busy. I'm like "this kid will break under the pressure of pre-pandemic deal flow and work loads" He means well, and he's way better than my last assistant, but...Anyway, i keep him well-bribed to ensure his esprit de corps.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
He's getting there. His attitude is gung ho, which is important.

He also assists another veteran, who happens to have a bunch of Dept of Health accounts, which generate a ton of workload even and especially during a pandemic

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Cast in this unlikely role,
Ill-equipped to act
With insufficient tact
One must put up barriers
To keep oneself intact

Reactions: Boneroni

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
My sister the teacher wants to quit and she is a GREAT teacher.
It is really tough to basically start from scratch, make the best of the new schooling, and not dwell on how awesome things used to be. Glad I haven't been teaching too long, some long timers are struggling with this new way.

- not great teacher OUT!

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
It is really tough to basically start from scratch, make the best of the new schooling, and not dwell on how awesome things used to be. Glad I haven't been teaching too long, some long timers are struggling with this new way.

- not great teacher OUT!
My GF is contemplating a career change after this year...She's a fifth grade teacher and is more an IT director than anything right now. Sucks all the way around.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Being a teacher this year is nutz. I joke that I am the producer of a reality t.v. show, director, creation content, make up and wardrobe, tech support, researcher, and on air talent. I just try and make the best out of it and be lively for the students. there are perks, it is nice using my own bathroom and not having to wait in line to use the one male bathroom (which we share with the severe special ed kids) after someone destroyed it, it is nice to get up at 5 45 get everything prepped while sittin in my PJs. it is nice to jump in my 60 degree pool with 15 minutes left until class starts and swim laps until I can't (think wimhoff) and then jump in a shower with 5 minutes left until class starts and be ready with a minute to spare. The kids wonder why I am so alert in the morning as they are rolling out of bed and turning on their computers. I see kids at the beach and they say hey Mr. BR and I say oh hey, what grade are you in now, and they say "I'm in your class right now". oops hard to tell with the tiny screen that I am teaching on. looking forward to getting back in the classroom.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I started yesterday.
My GF is contemplating a career change after this year...She's a fifth grade teacher and is more an IT director than anything right now. Sucks all the way around.
I think she should hold on until she gets back to the classroom before she decides.

I'm like a call center operator.

On air talent

Producer

Tech support

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I miss the good 'ol days when things were calm and predictable. You know... how it used to be. Back in 2020.