Mental Health thread

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
mental health, is it really just a thing of the so called "first world", wouldn't a better name for it be, too much friggin time on my hands to micro-analyze my life, self, job, etc.... maybe get busy living, get your brain synapses firing, and low and behold, mental health says what?

just asking, for a friend. you know.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
you don't think they have mental health issues in sub saharan africa? seems like a pretty short, stressful, brutal existence

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
you don't think they have mental health issues in sub saharan africa? seems like a pretty short, stressful, brutal existence
It’s more that you don’t have as much time and bandwidth to ponder your own existence and purpose in the world when you are busy with basic survival needs. Maslows hierarchy and stuff. Once basic survival and comfort is taken care of, it frees up the mind to look for actual meaning and purpose in life. Unfortunately many people go about it the wrong way.

Probably why you don’t have CSI style serial killers in developing countries. They’re too busy carrying water and worrying about their subsistence crops failing to go down you tube reddit incel rabbit holes.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
mental health, is it really just a thing of the so called "first world", wouldn't a better name for it be, too much friggin time on my hands to micro-analyze my life, self, job, etc.... maybe get busy living, get your brain synapses firing, and low and behold, mental health says what?

Why do you hate America so much?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It’s more that you don’t have as much time and bandwidth to ponder your own existence and purpose in the world when you are busy with basic survival needs. Maslows hierarchy and stuff. Once basic survival and comfort is taken care of, it frees up the mind to look for actual meaning and purpose in life. Unfortunately many people go about it the wrong way.

Probably why you don’t have CSI style serial killers in developing countries. They’re too busy carrying water and worrying about their subsistence crops failing to go down you tube reddit incel rabbit holes.
Send everyone who ever went on 4/8chan to sub-Saharan Africa as part of an exchange program?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

hmmm. Gotta disagree.
But having a system of outsourcing self reflection to a professional is a definitely a privileged position I enjoy.

The comments on "sub saharan Africa" are an interesting way to minimize roughly 15% of the world population..

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
hmmm. Gotta disagree.
But having a system of outsourcing self reflection to a professional is a definitely a privileged position I enjoy.

The comments on "sub saharan Africa" are an interesting way to minimize roughly 15% of the world population..
I don't think that's what he meant. I think what he was getting at is when most of your mental energy is focused on subsistence and survival, you aren't spending much time pondering your lack of life purpose and place in the universe. Even if you do suffer from mental illness in that type of setting, I imagine that the harsh realities of your day-to-day existence are going to occupy most of your mental bandwidth.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ - and those harsh realities are why we humans developed "modern" civilization.

By the way, you know those bible stories about casting out of demons? And the more modern news items about sorcerer and witch killings? Doesn't seem like a "less modern" civilization is without its hang-ups.

Any way you slice it, seems like there is +/- to the civilization you find yourself in...so the secret to coping is balance the push and pull.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
surely the third world is chock full o crazies and loonies, but when you have to struggle just to get a measly ham sandwich in per day you don't really have the time, nor will power, to feel "bad about your self".

you too busy feeling bad about your situation. period.

Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It may be A placebo effect but Levium seems to work great for stress. It’s got that ashgandrada stuff in it that suppresses cortisol

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
yall ever get scared to sleep? I dont like sleeping unless I am passing out from surfing or meals/beers.

Not scared, but more dread?

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
3:27am, i'm wide awake, awaitin' a new mornin'.
L.A. streets seem to be a lot more tense lately, even at thee beach where i look for sharks to jump.
saw hundreds of people, protestin' or ah, maybe just gettin' some covid19 era exercise on a saturday night,
all on bicycles, take over both lanes of pch last night, ridin' alll the way from marina del rey up to sunset,
just to turn around...

saw some white dude, looked like he surfed,
no board though, he parked along this same beach for a coupla dayz recently,
drove a red truck w white shell, no back window on it, he seemed a little eccentric, split eventually,
then i got to watch him get crazy, live, on a freeway chase friday night before a beach~side lil' rav happened,
i watched him on my laptop crash into many other L.A. drivers again+again, i realized that's that dude,
he finally lost a tire, sparks a glowin', i knew it would be him, yep, blonde white boy gets out the truck,
shirt~less + in trunks, goes runnin' on the freeway after someone that he had crashed in to that had pulled over,
they escaped, he finally got tazed by chp, cuffed, f**kin' knucklheads abound!

crazy white boy~0.JPG
vid is in link below:
Police chase suspect taken into custody after sparks fly

another vid, on cbs2/kcal9, f**kin' nutz!
:cursing:

Last edited:
Reactions: Waterlogged05

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Hah! Because the school District bowed to public pressure, and jumped the timeline for bringing kiddos back to the classrooms..... They didn't meet the State metrics (rising cases for K-3 age) for being able to bring kids back, so they have to 180 spin to telling parents that your little genius who has been driving you batshet cray ISN'T going back where the teacher takes care of it!

So, from comprehensive distance learning (CDL) to back in school, back to stay at home. It is killing me but I am planning week to week at this point. 3 weeks from now could be the earliest kids could get into classrooms for K-3. It would be better for the District to just pick something and stick with it.

Hey, more time for family with less commute. To at least curb this recent mentalness, I'll be remote teaching from the coast. Close to the ocean and maybe waves! Yew!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My sister had a choice and she went for remote teaching.

Her logic was the shitty parents with shitty kids will want to drop them off at school to get rid of them.

I think once you mastered remote teaching it would be doable.

It takes me two years minimum to get my programing right when I teach a new class.

I have moments where it is okay and then it all comes crashing down.

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
My wife has teaching in person for the past month and streaming remotely at the same time.

She's doing fine.

The in person kids are so glad to be back.

Reactions: HarryLopez2