Mental Health thread

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Addiction sucks for those addicted and those close to them. And it's not just a "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" type of thing. All sorts of survival mechanisms get established by people in relationships with addicts that end up being detrimental to their lives.

Addicts, alcoholics, and those impacted by them find community in 12 step groups because of the way people like Autoprax talk about addiction. Ya don't get it.

Reactions: Boneroni

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Addiction sucks for those addicted and those close to them. And it's not just a "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" type of thing. All sorts of survival mechanisms get established by people in relationships with addicts that end up being detrimental to their lives.

Addicts, alcoholics, and those impacted by them find community in 12 step groups because of the way people like Autoprax talk about addiction. Ya don't get it.
I wouldn't bring it up here but for the fact that lots of addicts talk about addiction here on the BB.

I mean, you guys talk about it a lot.

You probably should stick to talking about at meetings.

Like I said, I'm done.

I put addict talk on my no fly list.

Last edited:

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
did a couple of sober drunks on the internet actually manage to trigger autoprax? now I've seen everything
Who would of thought he would get upset about not being able to talk about spraying cum all over the place and alcoholics :roflmao: ;)
I say free the dirty old man!

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
did a couple of sober drunks on the internet actually manage to trigger autoprax? now I've seen everything
When people play the victim and make unwarranted appeals to shame it always triggers me.

Hypocritical crybabies disgust me.

PS, does this mean I can go back to trivializing alcoholism?

You loosers just need to settle down and have a drink.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m a victim all right. A victim of my own damned success, good looks, hot wife, serenity, and this cursed forum. Fr fucks sake even our yoga business is already turning a nice little monthly profit. I just cant win, the cards are stacked against me, and I can’t even have a drink to numb the pain of all of these things im a victim of

the surf might be really fun on Monday too. When will the horrors end?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yes. I'm a victim of victimhood.

But due to the framing effect, I think I am the real victim.

Does this mean I can join back in the addiction discussion?

Any of you addicts check out Carl Hart's work?

I like this too.

Though I am not an addict I've done some reading on the subject and feel that I could still provide some interesting insights.

Thanks

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Speaking for myself, I have always enjoyed your brand of well informed and creative lunacy, so I would be bummed if you left this addiction discussion. All are welcome. You don’t even have to make coffee or set up chairs

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Lets talk about the 12 step program.

Is it for everyone?

What should people that it doesn't work for do?

Anyone here tried Nicacin for alcohol cravings?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

Is it for everyone?

Hey man, I’m not speaking for anyone
Im just saying you pissed me off
Comparing addiction to alcohol to wanting to get good at guitar seems like obvious trivialization
Since when does someone saying something on the erbb pissged someone off shut down discussion?
Continue on however you want
Jeez, if you want to be a wuss, you can
But expect to be called out on that too
It’s the f’n erbb ffs

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Hey man, I’m not speaking for anyone
Im just saying you pissed me off
Comparing addiction to alcohol to wanting to get good at guitar seems like obvious trivialization
Since when does someone saying something on the erbb pissged someone off shut down discussion?
Continue on however you want
Jeez, if you want to be a wuss, you can
But expect to be called out on that too
It’s the f’n erbb ffs
Crafting a good metaphor is tricky.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

Is it for everyone?

I think I was and am very lucky I grew up in an AA home (my dad got sober when I was 6) so I knew it existed and I knew what alcoholism was, and where to go if and when I was ready to quit. and I knew at a young age I was well on my way.

I’m glad for the foundation and the tools I got from my years in the rooms, but as I progressed, for me, using the tools but leaving out meetings and that just underlying pressure to be a “meeting maker” and be involved….it ended up causing me a lot more anxiety than I liked.

Once I gave myself permission to just be a man who doesn’t drink, because I can’t control it and I wanna live a longish and happy life, and stopped fretting about meetings and time and trying to be a quote “good AA” I became far more at ease. But that’s just me. I like the THC too and enjoying that guilt free has also been revelatory. Guilt is a toxic and deadly substance to be handled in small doses and with great care. .

for anyone who thinks they may have a drinking problem here’s a hard truth. If you think you might have one, you probably do. And I think a 12 step program is an EXCELLENT place to begin life anew. Some people, it becomes their new life and that’s cool. They stay sober, they have their fellowship etc. Many people are super into it for a few years, hen just kind of go into long term maintenance mode of a meeting here and there, staying friends with fellow AAs, whatever. But I’ve also seen the damage, many times, of the guilt people put themselves through if they slip, or aren’t a perfect AA, and that can get ugly. So it’s a great place to learn real time tested ways of clearing out the wreckage, learning how to live sober, hell even the slogans come in handy all the time.

5/7 would recommend… anyone who wants to quit drinking goes to a meeting and keep an open mind. Just cause I don’t go NOW, I would very likely be dead already if it weren’t for AA, and the foundation and tools I learned there

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
“I’m not an alcoholic I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings”

there are many cute little anti AA word plays in English too