Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I started my work day at 6. Then a tortuous 60 minute sales meeting being told we aren't
coming back hard enough. then I immediately shut it all down, and spun, pushed and pulled to exhaustion, sauna and shower, then back to it. I may have napped for a few minutes when the sun came around the corner of my house

I was also accused of having an eating disorder by one of my oldest friends, because she’s just jealous about all the fat I dropped and muscle I built. Weird day, as are most mondays.

also learned that one of our BF’s father died of the Coof. So, yeah, it’s a suck balls of a day

@PPK96754 it was sabrinas father :(

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
He was a good dude, at his daughters wedding he went with us on a charter boat for barracuda and whatever other tropical fish we could find off St Vincent. Literally a few months after a quadruple bypass surgery. He was seasick the entire 6 hours, and didn’t complain once, meanwhile” the other sea sufferers were whining and puking and wasting All our fresh water in their futile attempts to cool off and fight off the nausea. RIP Ruben.

Reactions: TangTonic

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I'm on the countdown! In 2022, I will give my notice and no longer work for an "employer" and will become my own employer.

This anticipation has me fluctuating between extreme excitement to wtf am I thinking.

But the way my brain works...once I make a decision, its set.

When I graduated high school, I committed to the Coast Guard Academy. As a not yet 18 year old, that was a 9 year commitment (4 at the academy and then you owe the CG 5 years). I should have known before going that it was not for me. I went for the Academy Introductory Mssion (AIM) as a junior in high school and walked away sayin f that.

Somehow I convinced myself that being on ships and getting my ticket to captain the big ones was the path I wanted to take. I got up there and they really laid into me. I had also been accepted into Air Force Academy, West Point, Naval, and Merchant Marine. There were newspaper articles about me. So the cadre which were the upper class cadets heard about me and made it a point to f with me every chance they got.

So while I was there hating life thinking about not getting laid, not surfing, freezing my ass off etc, I started thinking how I could go to a normal civilain university and have that college experience with girls, parties and lots of surfing. I made up my mind that I was leaving. My parents said not to but I said, f that I'm done. The CG academy didn't want me to leave either. They must have seen my potential.

But I did leave and had an amazing college experience with said girls, partying, and surfing but also had some really awesome professors and thoroughly enjoyed my chosen degree of pursuit, Marine Environmental Science.

Fast forward about 5 years after graduating college. I'm working two jobs. Waiter at night and GIS mapper by day. Saving up the dollars. Had it all planned out to go back for my Masters in Marine Environmental Engineering. My buddy calls from the Virgin Islands and says hey man do you want to take my job, I'm about to pursue my dream of building wave pools.

So now I was faced with another life changing decision. Can you guess which one I picked? That's right. Island living! Fast forward another 5 years or so and I'm living on Tortola with an amazing job. But my girlfriend says she's moving out to Kauai to pursue her Rolfing certification. Again, big decision to make and right after the market crash in 2008. I said f-it and gave my notice and moved out to Kauai. Such a good decision!!! That period of my life was like a dream!

About a year later we find out that we're having a baby. We were warned how fertile Kauai is and took precautions but I ended up slipping one past the goalie. Father in law calls one day and says he found me a job back in the Virgin Islands. The inlaws were keen to get us back since they wanted to be close to their grandbaby. The father in law had been taking the CEO of this particular company SCUBA diving all the time and asked if there were any openings and sure enough there were. So boom, another big decision. Keep living on Kauai and working as a boat captain and waiter or move back to the Caribbean and utilize the college degree I paid out the ass for. We ended up moving back. So far no regrets because I socked away enough to buy our own piece of land and build a house. Plus my son has had the most incredible upbrining on this little island.

I think that was my last big decision. Besides one smaller one where we were offered to relocate to a different island but chose to stay on STX.

Now this decision of leaving gainful employment for the world of unknowns they called entrepreneurship is up there with all the other big decisions as far as levity is concerned. But I think this one was/is bigger since two other people now depend on me.

But my decision has been made. If I can't make it on my own, I can always walk with my tail between my legs back into the workforce.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I'm on the countdown! In 2022, I will give my notice and no longer work for an "employer" and will become my own employer.

This anticipation has me fluctuating between extreme excitement to wtf am I thinking.

But the way my brain works...once I make a decision, its set.

When I graduated high school, I committed to the Coast Guard Academy. As a not yet 18 year old, that was a 9 year commitment (4 at the academy and then you owe the CG 5 years). I should have known before going that it was not for me. I went for the Academy Introductory Mssion (AIM) as a junior in high school and walked away sayin f that.

Somehow I convinced myself that being on ships and getting my ticket to captain the big ones was the path I wanted to take. I got up there and they really laid into me. I had also been accepted into Air Force Academy, West Point, Naval, and Merchant Marine. There were newspaper articles about me. So the cadre which were the upper class cadets heard about me and made it a point to f with me every chance they got.

So while I was there hating life thinking about not getting laid, not surfing, freezing my ass off etc, I started thinking how I could go to a normal civilain university and have that college experience with girls, parties and lots of surfing. I made up my mind that I was leaving. My parents said not to but I said, f that I'm done. The CG academy didn't want me to leave either. They must have seen my potential.

But I did leave and had an amazing college experience with said girls, partying, and surfing but also had some really awesome professors and thoroughly enjoyed my chosen degree of pursuit, Marine Environmental Science.

Fast forward about 5 years after graduating college. I'm working two jobs. Waiter at night and GIS mapper by day. Saving up the dollars. Had it all planned out to go back for my Masters in Marine Environmental Engineering. My buddy calls from the Virgin Islands and says hey man do you want to take my job, I'm about to pursue my dream of building wave pools.

So now I was faced with another life changing decision. Can you guess which one I picked? That's right. Island living! Fast forward another 5 years or so and I'm living on Tortola with an amazing job. But my girlfriend says she's moving out to Kauai to pursue her Rolfing certification. Again, big decision to make and right after the market crash in 2008. I said f-it and gave my notice and moved out to Kauai. Such a good decision!!! That period of my life was like a dream!

About a year later we find out that we're having a baby. We were warned how fertile Kauai is and took precautions but I ended up slipping one past the goalie. Father in law calls one day and says he found me a job back in the Virgin Islands. The inlaws were keen to get us back since they wanted to be close to their grandbaby. The father in law had been taking the CEO of this particular company SCUBA diving all the time and asked if there were any openings and sure enough there were. So boom, another big decision. Keep living on Kauai and working as a boat captain and waiter or move back to the Caribbean and utilize the college degree I paid out the ass for. We ended up moving back. So far no regrets because I socked away enough to buy our own piece of land and build a house. Plus my son has had the most incredible upbrining on this little island.

I think that was my last big decision. Besides one smaller one where we were offered to relocate to a different island but chose to stay on STX.

Now this decision of leaving gainful employment for the world of unknowns they called entrepreneurship is up there with all the other big decisions as far as levity is concerned. But I think this one was/is bigger since two other people now depend on me.

But my decision has been made. If I can't make it on my own, I can always walk with my tail between my legs back into the workforce.
Facing similar sorts of decisions as we speak.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
How many businesses did you start before you found one that was successful? What was it like starting it (them)?
I've had some that were a financial success, others that were more personally rewarding than financial. If I'm being honest my largest portion of financial success is something I don't particularly enjoy doing. Not that I hate the money but I just don't get any joy from the work.

My failures haven't been the failure of a business, but the failure to get it off the ground. Seeing a great opportunity, but due to circumstance not being able to put it together and watching someone else do it down the road. I don't dwell on it but when you notice it you get that feeling, like damn. Business...you wind them up, you wind them down. As long as you don't wind up homeless.

Starting them is exciting, maintaining them is time consuming. You treat your employees like family and pay your bills on time and it's rewarding.

Reactions: PRCD

rossky

OTF status
Apr 4, 2006
I get what you’re saying but the word expectation still implies an assumption of what will happen, not what is happening.

My son does this survival skills class and has learned so many great skills. One of the things the instructor, a good friend of mine does is of the kids ask a “future question” they have to do 10 push-ups.

Honestly it’s hard to do and again I’m not saying I’ve got it. But take any moment in your life. Are you breathing? Are you alive? Well then you should count your blessings. Because that breathe and life could be taken from you at any moment without any forewarning.
Lemme guess: Mount Victory Camp?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Starting them is exciting, maintaining them is time consuming. You treat your employees like family and pay your bills on time and it's rewarding.
"Friends and family are like steps on the ladder to success; they are meant to be stepped on."

Paraphrasing a fictional character in an attempt at humor....not to worry, still keeping my day job.