So sure of me when I'm not so sure of myself
I need help
But I'm too damn proud to stop the progress now
I need to slow down
But I need a good friend to come and tell me how

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Title of this looks like "Metal Health thread", so here is some cookie monster singing metal for you

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
The funny part is yesterday I typed up a resume for the first time in my life and then told myself Im taking a break from looking for work until Monday. As soon as I let go - the universe delivered. Crazy how that works.
Thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: CutnSnip

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I am adopting "the universe can suck my dong" as my basic attitude and disposition as I transition into the loose-cannon phase of my COVID era career.

My coworkers don't seem to be responding very well to this, but, you know, they can suck my dong!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
About the universe delivering/not delivering...

"In the fields of observation, Chance favors the prepared mind."

"You can do your best and still fail....how that is perceived depends on everyone else, you included." (probably paraphrasing a lot of people who have figured it out well before I did, gotten acclaim for it, but I don't know who said it first or last, and well, I like to pretend I came up with on my own as a teen...really helped my fragile male ego at the time to think I had some insight to how Life works)

Reactions: stringcheese

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
About the universe delivering/not delivering...

"In the fields of observation, Chance favors the prepared mind."

"You can do your best and still fail....how that is perceived depends on everyone else, you included." (probably paraphrasing a lot of people who have figured it out well before I did, gotten acclaim for it, but I don't know who said it first or last, and well, I like to pretend I came up with on my own as a teen...really helped my fragile male ego at the time to think I had some insight to how Life works)
Very similar to a quote my kids are sick of me repeating
Luck favors the well-prepared

Thanks for that link, doof. I don’t think I’ve seen that site before

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Been in therapy since March. No shame in my game. I’m a mess but slowly getting it together. I wasn’t born with bad wiring but growing up at the beach with parents that grew up at the beach is a rough one. Too many bad examples to list.
Counseling and some temporary small kine pill help is a good thing especially considering what we’re going through. This is the ultimate mental health test of all time. Especially for us with alcohol or other substance abuse issues.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
sh!t. I got the bad addiction wiring AND the hard partying beach childhood, complete with alcoholic idols both surfing and otherwise . No wonder my dad would always say “don’t beat yourself up too much for being an alcoholic- you didn’t stand a chance. But what you do about it, that’s up to you”

good on ya for opening up

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah he’s the reason I’m still alive. RIP Dad, Labor Day 2016. Overhead hurricane “all time” surf that morning. My wife somehow found me miles down the beach, surfing A jetty I rarely surf, had just got out after 3 hours to hydrate and hit it again when she found me and told me.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Been in therapy since March. No shame in my game. I’m a mess but slowly getting it together. I wasn’t born with bad wiring but growing up at the beach with parents that grew up at the beach is a rough one. Too many bad examples to list.
Counseling and some temporary small kine pill help is a good thing especially considering what we’re going through. This is the ultimate mental health test of all time. Especially for us with alcohol or other substance abuse issues.
Ya i bit the bullet and signed up for betterhelp.com over over the weekend. Basically work has been a mess and super stressful and got me in a bad place combined with flat surf + wife and kid away with family so I've been feeling very alone. Don't have the best genetics when it comes to depression either in my family so that doesn't help. Tried calling kaiser but they're booked up until end of september and wanted to bring me in and drug me up right away. I passed for now, wanted to talk it out with somebody first so got in touch with somebody through better help and have been feeling a lot better.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
One of my best friends is twenty years sober and invests a huge amount of time and energy into helping others along the 12 steps. I've learned a ton from him and have gotten a little bit better at life as a result.

That being said, recovery programs can suck my dong.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Ya i bit the bullet and signed up for betterhelp.com over over the weekend. Basically work has been a mess and super stressful and got me in a bad place combined with flat surf + wife and kid away with family so I've been feeling very alone. Don't have the best genetics when it comes to depression either in my family so that doesn't help. Tried calling kaiser but they're booked up until end of september and wanted to bring me in and drug me up right away. I passed for now, wanted to talk it out with somebody first so got in touch with somebody through better help and have been feeling a lot better.
The pills have minimal to no beneficial effects and a lot of bad side effects, including suicidality. I'm also speaking from personal experience. I posted a link for online CBT a couple of pages back.