Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
so, i rented this sick beach house in Eleuthera for this sappy "Brady Bunch goes to Eleuthera" thing, i posted about it somewhere on here. My mom and her new husband, and her new husband's favorite grandson and grand daughter in law, who are in their 30's. The six of us, family bonding, aging parents etc. All the feels.

Anyway, i was talking with dear old ma last night, and right before she hung up she muttered something about her husband and her step-grandson needing new passports. I stopped her, and asked her to explain precisely what she meant.

Long story short- they are not going to Eleuthera. My wife and I as of now have an insane 2 story 3 bedroom sand-front beach house for 7 nights in mid April. All to ourselves.

I'm still excited for the house, visiting a new (to us) funky little island, the snorkeling and spear fishing, and even some goofy trade swell. But, the $7,000 i shelled out for flights and that house? that's most of the way to a week in Tavarua. nuff said.

Anyone want to come to Eleuthera April 11-19? One room has two twins, the other has a King. We will happily go have a romantic getaway by ourselves, but, even my wife was pissed about all the money we spent on this "family trip" only for the other "grown ups" to completely drop the ball. She literally said last night "see if any of your weird forum friends want to come, as long as they chip in for the house" :waving: :ROFLMAO:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
so, i rented this sick beach house in Eleuthera for this sappy "Brady Bunch goes to Eleuthera" thing, i posted about it somewhere on here. My mom and her new husband, and her new husband's favorite grandson and grand daughter in law, who are in their 30's. The six of us, family bonding, aging parents etc. All the feels.

Anyway, i was talking with dear old ma last night, and right before she hung up she muttered something about her husband and her step-grandson needing new passports. I stopped her, and asked her to explain precisely what she meant.

Long story short- they are not going to Eleuthera. My wife and I as of now have an insane 2 story 3 bedroom sand-front beach house for 7 nights in mid April. All to ourselves.

I'm still excited for the house, visiting a new (to us) funky little island, the snorkeling and spear fishing, and even some goofy trade swell. But, the $7,000 i shelled out for flights and that house? that's most of the way to a week in Tavarua. nuff said.

Anyone want to come to Eleuthera April 11-19? One room has two twins, the other has a King. We will happily go have a romantic getaway by ourselves, but, even my wife was pissed about all the money we spent on this "family trip" only for the other "grown ups" to completely drop the ball. She literally said last night "see if any of your weird forum friends want to come, as long as they chip in for the house" :waving: :ROFLMAO:
Wait, so we're weird, and, she wants us to pay?

:shameonyou::unsure:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yes:cool:

Actually, the money for the house is already spent. Cssh for a bedroom is on a sliding scale, defined by need. At this point I don't even care about getting someone to split the cost of the house- i just want a few fun people to use the other 2 rooms.

I'll of course need to see Pay stubs and tax returns to confirm income requirements

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Actually, the money for the house is already spent. Cssh for a bedroom is on a sliding scale, defined by need. At this point I don't even care about getting someone to split the cost of the house- i just want a few fun people to use the other 2 rooms.

I'll of course need to see Pay stubs and tax returns to confirm income requirements
Why doesn't your Mom at least join? :unsure:

Also, what's it called again when you completely fook up a plan after money was already spent? It's on the tip of my tongue . . .

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

Is it OK if they're 20 years old?

The taxes and paystubs I mean.

:shrug:

• Haha

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I did just get off the phone with my mom and encouraged her to still to come with us. She might. Still leaves a bedroom with a King bed lol

Yes, Subway got Subway'd

FTR- the booze cruise never had a deposit down, nor any money extended.

Reactions: grapedrink

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

No gracias. I will be in Mex. Yew!

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I did just get off the phone with my mom and encouraged her to still to come with us. She might. Still leaves a bedroom with a King bed lol

Yes, Subway got Subway'd

FTR- the booze cruise never had a deposit down, nor any money extended.
Now I'm confused, must be my ESL (English as a Second Language)...
So, the reason we have to pay,
If we choose to attend,
Is that..

Your Mom is coming too?

Dude, am I reading this right?

:shrug::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey::shameonyou::D

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Basically I'm just whining about a remarkably first world, luxury, privileged, cisgendered, upper middle class, white male problem. I made a great plan, paid for it, advised those involved, and they all collectively dropped the ball in a spectacularly mundane fashion

If any of you lunatics wants to join us for a week of snorkeling, spear fishing, maybe surfing, and exploring Eleuthera, see you there. We have a free bed for you. how you get there is up to you. i don't really care about nor need the money. the house is paid in full, that money is spent, so it may well never have existed in the first place.

@TangTonic you should come too. Don't you live just a few hundred miles away? :cool: :shaka:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Wow.
Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

Probably 2x year I think, "Oh sheet! Is my passport about to expire?!" Then i go and check and there's like 5 years left on it and I laugh. Then I do it all again 6 months later.

Reactions: Subway and Mr Doof

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Holy sh!t would I love to take you up on that Subway. But no way in hell can I swing that with all the sh!t going on right now - stressed to the gills.

It would help a lot IF THIS RAIN WOULD FUCKING STOP.

Reactions: Aruka and Subway

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Something positive.
Pops has been dealing with Early onset Alzeheimers.

The docs got him on some new drug and I will be damned if he is not like his old self again.
Not sure how long it will last so I am calling him constantly, think he may be sick of it already ha!

Appreciate your parents while you can.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Something positive.
Pops has been dealing with Early onset Alzeheimers.

The docs got him on some new drug and I will be damned if he is not like his old self again.
Not sure how long it will last so I am calling him constantly, think he may be sick of it already ha!

Appreciate your parents while you can.
Thats awesome. For all the trials and tribulations we've gone through with my cancerous dog (see dog thread). He's been acting like a puppy again for the past 3weeks or so. Eating ferociously, wanting to constantly go for long walks and play with his toys, and even getting into mischievous trouble. I'm loving every second of it, but I'm also very guarded about it and worried that it may be a steroid enduced mirage and he can't stay on that stuff forever. And the reality is that the lymphoma will likely come back with a vengeance at some point. But for now the quality we're experiencing is way better than I ever expected and I'm trying to enjoy it one day at a time. It's pretty much the only thing going well in my life right now. I made an appointment for therapy but thats still almost a month out, wish I could see someone sooner.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Hate it when Dogs get sick. Hope your furball fights off the fucking cancer.

As far as therapy, ever tried talkspace or one of the other online services? They can get pretty fast appointments.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Hate it when Dogs get sick. Hope your furball fights off the fucking cancer.

As far as therapy, ever tried talkspace or one of the other online services? They can get pretty fast appointments.
Do they take insurance?

I'll try almost anything at this point. I'm not quite at a point of crisis. But it's effecting my relationships and general being in a way I don't like and wish I could just snap out of it and make everything better. If only.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I did talk space early in the pandemic. It was fine for what it is. Real therapist. Dude was actually from New York but living in Israel. I cancelled after 6 months because I wasn’t really hearing anything I hadn’t already been telling myself for years lol

i find in person therapy very helpful. And then maybe every 3rd or 4th week we meet on zoom instead of his office if I don’t feel like commuting that Friday

so, I guess talk space for at least a few more immediate sessions while you wait to see a doc in person? the talk space guy was legit. It was just a little too canned for my needs

Reactions: $kully