Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Come stay with us in Long Beach NY for a week. I’m recovering from the chisel and we are both active and cheerful but also kind of depressed and constantly addressing mental health. Roll the dice and come stay with me and Mrs subway. @bonzer5fin is in town too. All KINDS of big mental health medicine on tap. I won’t even force you to do yoga :)

We have hotel-like guest rooms with king sized beds. Bring an SO if f you want

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Come stay with us in Long Beach NY for a week. I’m recovering from the chisel and we are both active and cheerful but also kind of depressed and constantly addressing mental health. Roll the dice and come stay with me and Mrs subway. @bonzer5fin is in town too. All KINDS of big mental health medicine on tap. I won’t even force you to do yoga :)

Can I bring my dog too?

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

If we had one of those North Wind setups I might have darkened your doorstep :bowdown:

Reactions: Subway

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Funeral day. Cold ugly and gray. Perfect. Don't know if I am down for the post graveside wake/celebration of life/slide show/drunk as sh!t thing at an Irish pub. May just have a beer and slip out the back when I can. One of those days you just want to be over.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Funeral day. Cold ugly and gray. Perfect. Don't know if I am down for the post graveside wake/celebration of life/slide show/drunk as sh!t thing at an Irish pub. May just have a beer and slip out the back when I can. One of those days you just want to be over.
Hang in there
maybe before it turns into a drunk as sh!t scene, you can have a few laughs and smiles

Reactions: Joshua2415

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Hang in there
maybe before it turns into a drunk as sh!t scene, you can have a few laughs and smiles
I did. I saw people I haven't seen since college. That was good. There was some tension between his old friends/family and the wife's family. You could feel it. The wife obviously read the texts exchanged between my friend and I. She knows what I know. She has some things she's going to have to live with. His brother confided that he had given him the gun. Guilt and blame. I slipped a switchblade into the grave with a rose. I don't know where you're going bro, but grandpa always told me a man without a knife isn't fully dressed. And that was a good blade. Vaya con dios brother.

Last edited:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
I slipped a switchblade into the grave with a rose. I don't know where you're going bro, but grandpa always told me a man without a knife isn't fully dressed. And that was a good blade. Vaya con dios brother.
i really liked this part. rip for your friend... & your grandfather was probably right...

years ago i posted up a pic of some of my switchblade collection, somebody commented that you couldn’t really rely on them, play in the blades and all....but what else is gonna fit in your birdwells’ pocket ?

gotta work with what (pants) you have...

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I did. I saw people I haven't seen since college. That was good. There was some tension between his old friends/family and the wife's family. You could feel it. The wife obviously read the texts exchanged between my friend and I. She knows what I know. She has some things she's going to have to live with. His brother confided that he had given him the gun. Guilt and blame. I slipped a switchblade into the grave with a rose. I don't know where you're going bro, but grandpa always told me a man without a knife isn't fully dressed. And that was a good blade. Vaya con dios brother.
Funerals are weird like that, especially in this context. It's also really telling as to who doesn't show up. My best friend from college took his own life in summer 2021. He went through a spell ~4 years before where he was way down in the dumps and I thought that it could happen. Then things got better and he seemed to be doing ok. Then sh!t got weird again during Covid and I think the isolation got to him. Then it go real bad after he hung out with "that friend" from high school that he should've parted ways with but found his way back to.

This "friend" gave him some designer hallucinogen with a weird name and he was never the same since. Had spells where he was the crazy guy screaming out on the street, then he would revert to being a shell of himself. Ended up in county jail for 30 day stint and came back an emotional vegetable. As expected, that friend never showed up at the wake a few months later. Neither did his moocher manbaby former addict uncle that can't hold down a job and didn't show up because it was too "emotionally difficult" for him :rolleyes:

Losing someone to suicide will mess with your head. We tell ourselves that we could've done something to stop it but I don't think that's true the vast majority of the time, especially with grown adults. What they are going in their head is so tortured that they really see no other solution.

Hang in their mang, you'll be alright :beer:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
2nd opinion confirmed I have Lupus. Being referred to rheumatologist for further testing to determine the extent of internal organs affected. Strangely enough, even though I've just had this bad news, and have to take my mother out to the podiatrist today, when the wind stopped and the ground swell is epic for Lobos, and my buddy just texted me to be at the dock in 30 for a free ride out, I somehow feel strangely elated. Like I just don't give a Fook about anything. DMT is some sh!t ....

:bowdown:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
2nd opinion confirmed I have Lupus. Being referred to rheumatologist for further testing to determine the extent of internal organs affected. Strangely enough, even though I've just had this bad news, and have to take my mother out to the podiatrist today, when the wind stopped and the ground swell is epic for Lobos, and my buddy just texted me to be at the dock in 30 for a free ride out, I somehow feel strangely elated. Like I just don't give a Fook about anything. DMT is some sh!t ....

:bowdown:

Damn.
Sorry to hear that.
But you're right, live it up.
It's tough, but it's possible to give a fuck AND experience joy.

There are lots of good treatments if you are on it early.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yesterday afternoon it sunk in, try pushing your mom around in a wheel chair all day, while pondering a future of pain. Realized this is probably what will put an end to island life for us, as medical treatment is not one of the strongest suits for the Canary Islands.

Thoughts of offing myself kept surging up in my mind, after all, I've had a good run, why put my family through that? Then remembering that I'm the only sibling who ponies up to care for my mother... she'd be in a residence were it not for us opening our home to her... so I guessed I'd have to at least wait until she's gone.

Wish I could surf some right now, can't think of much else that's going to help with my mind right now.

:unsure::violin:

• Sad
Reactions: brukuns and $kully

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
come On man, your story ain’t over!
I sure hope so, have to be honest though... I struggle to remember when was the last time I felt no physical pain.

My family tells me I'm a super human to lead the life I have lived, with the pain I've suffered taken into account.

I just know one thing, it hurts when I'm sitting around kicking my wounds feeling sorry for myself, just as much as when I get off my arse and do stuff, despite the hindering pain.

Get this, apparently my bones are porous, not solid. Like Samuel L. Jackson ....unbreakable-samuel-l-jackson.jpg in that movie with Bruce Willis where they're antithesis to each other..... I think it was called "Unbreakable ".

Lupus, the gift that keeps on giving.

:crazy2:

• Sad
Reactions: brukuns and Subway

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I sure hope so, have to be honest though... I struggle to remember when was the last time I felt no physical pain.

My family tells me I'm a super human to lead the life I have lived, with the pain I've suffered taken into account.

I just know one thing, it hurts when I'm sitting around kicking my wounds feeling sorry for myself, just as much as when I get off my arse and do stuff, despite the hindering pain.

Get this, apparently my bones are porous, not solid. Like Samuel L. Jackson ....View attachment 148854 in that movie with Bruce Willis where they're antithesis to each other..... I think it was called "Unbreakable ".

Lupus, the gift that keeps on giving.

:crazy2:
Stay strong brother. Some days are better than others, you'll be glad when the good days come by, they will be worth it.

Unbreakable is great. there are 2 sequels (they didn't make it clear they were sequels when they came out)... There's "Split" and the final one where everything is wrapped up is "Glass". Not groundbreaking but worth the watch if you liked Unbreakable.