Medium vs. Large Fins

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I don't have the CI Mid but i do have some other mid-lengths that work really well as a 2 + 1. With that setup you can really dial it in .... changing the center fin, moving the center fin up or back ... changing the side bites .... it can take a few sessions to get it right ... but once you do .... magic happens.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I second (or 3rd, or 4th) the idea of trying it as a 2+1.

This is what I always imagine as a baseline for an eggy board.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I've heard different things about too much or not enough fin. In general prefer Futures and have not put any real time on more than 4-5 sets of fins in my surfing life, so could probably just STFU, try more fins, and learn to surf better in general. :bricks:

That said, Futures Large Fins are spec'd for 165+lbs, and their Mediums up to 175lbs. I am 185-190lbs and have been using the Alpha F6 Medium. While the Thruster felt okay on my 6' 2" hybrid short board, I'm now running the Quad on a 7' Rusty Egg Not. Tail is about 14.5" wide on this board 12" up, which is basically right at the back of the front two fins.

View attachment 172253

Sometimes the board feels like a dog when turning. I feel like this is likely just me not having my foot far enough back, as sometimes I can get going on a wave, consciously move my feet back, and pump top to bottom well, but the bog is most noticeable on the first / bottom turn. It doesn't slide out and I'm certainly not putting much pressure on these fins compared to a good surfer, but I'm wondering if bigger, and even softer / speed generating fins would do better?

I've heard if you're right near the weight spec cutover from Medium to Large (which I am for these fins) that the smaller fin could be a bit faster and still have plenty of grip since I don't rip turns. Hence why I've stuck with the F6.

Next move would be the F8 Blackstix for the two front fins (they dont make a Quad). Large spec and softer / speed generating flex. I'm a head high and under surfer 95% of the time and may be out in slightly overhead waves from time to time, so I don't see how a miniscule size increase is going to feel much different than the current F6..??..
General rules of thumb.…

Good waves….

Quad - medium

Tri- large

Twin - really large

Small waves…

Quad - large fronts, whatever rears you use for good waves

Tri - large with more flex and inside foil, medium center fin.

Twin - keels

Single fin FTW.

BIG waves…

Quad - small, 50/50 or 60/40 rears.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I second (or 3rd, or 4th) the idea of trying it as a 2+1.

This is what I always imagine as a baseline for an eggy board.
Have the Greenough 4a 6.5" on order.

A bit concerned about the box placement on this 7' board for the front 2, but it is sold as being set up for both a 2 + 1 or Quad..??.. I'm thinking the front of the large 1 fin should be right up to the back of the front 2 fins so will surely have to slide it back a little. Then, I can't imagine the 1 large fin extending past the tip of the tail.

Here is the box placement on the 7' board its going on.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I never knew the rule of thumb for 2+1 like there is for bonzers as I find 2+1 pretty forgiving.

I always started with it in the middle or all the way back (max drive), and then adjust from there.

since you are craving drive I’d be compelled to start with it all the way back and nudge it forward as you want it to get looser or to steer from the middle - but I’m sure someone here is more knowledgeable on the subject.

I found tweaking the position of a 2+1 is instantly gratifying unlike tuning quads which was always 2 steps forward 1 step backwards at best.

you could also pop this in for a tri set using your L fronts, https://www.cleanlinesurf.com/products/futures-fins-performance-single-fin

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
With the 2 + 1 setup ... rule of thumb is to put the leading edge of the center fin in line with the trailing edge of the side bites. For more drive ... longer turn arc ... adjust by moving the center fin back until you find the feel you're looking for .... move up to get make it turn quicker. For single only .... the larger the fin ... the closer to the front of the box ... usually start with the center of the fin at the center of the fin box.

Reactions: urchined and 92122

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I never knew the rule of thumb for 2+1 like there is for bonzers as I find 2+1 pretty forgiving.

I always started with it in the middle or all the way back (max drive), and then adjust from there.

since you are craving drive I’d be compelled to start with it all the way back and nudge it forward as you want it to get looser or to steer from the middle - but I’m sure someone here is more knowledgeable on the subject.

I found tweaking the position of a 2+1 is instantly gratifying unlike tuning quads which was always 2 steps forward 1 step backwards at best.

you could also pop this in for a tri set using your L fronts, https://www.cleanlinesurf.com/products/futures-fins-performance-single-fin
I was considering that for the big center fin of a 2 + 1 setup as its supposed to be an all around / neutral template, but went with the Greenough 4a instead.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
If that were my board I'd run a parrish with sidebites
Interesting... only available in 7.5" though which is a tad big IMO.

Well, at least I got the Greenough 4a for a bit of a discount. :LOL:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I like this as the way to find the starting point for single fin placement. As opposed to the middle of the box for a starting point.
3:24 mark.
Also would be looking at a fin more in the Parrish kind of template than a Greenough 4A for that board.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Agree.

Something about the 4A just doesn't seem to fit that wide blocky tail. I think area running through the entire fin will be his friend.

Doesnt the squash tail increase the area around the fins?

Rusty Surfboards.com said:
The Squash tail adds a little more area, lengthens the rail line, and has a more pivoty feel compared to a roundtail.