Meanwhile, in New Zealand

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
All it takes is an isolated island nation with a limited number of points of entry. Germany (Merkel) isn't so lucky.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
All it takes is an isolated island nation with a limited number of points of entry. Germany (Merkel) isn't so lucky.

Probably didn't hurt that 92% of the country supported strict lockdown measures and weren't out storming state building with assault rifles and tactical cosplay costumes crying about freedom.

This is what leadership looks like...

She took to the national airwaves to explain a four-stage lockdown system that New Zealand would use to confront the health crisis. "I'm speaking to all New Zealanders today to give you as much certainty and clarity as we can as we fight COVID-19," she said in a nationally televised address on March 21.

Ardern called the threat "unprecedented," but she was calm and reassuring. "Here's how we'll know what to do and when," she said as she laid out plans to shut down schools, most businesses and domestic travel.

Wiles at the University of Auckland says that the prime minister did something quite interesting: "Which was that unlike many other countries, she never put us on a war footing."

So Ardern's speeches weren't about attacking an invisible enemy — as many world leaders would say.

Instead she called on New Zealanders to confront this crisis by protecting their fellow citizens.

"She talked over and over about us being a team of 5 million and that we all do our part to break these chains of transmission and to eliminate the virus," Wiles says. "I think that has been one of the really crucial things — everybody knowing how they had to behave and that they were behaving for the good of everybody."

Wiles heard the prime minister's calls for everyone to come together so many times that she refers to it as Ardern doing her "united thing."

New Zealand is now reopening most businesses and is even talking about complete elimination of the coronavirus from its territory.

As of late May, New Zealand had had roughly 1,500 cases and fewer than 2 dozen deaths from COVID-19.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Probably didn't hurt that 92% of the country supported strict lockdown measures and weren't out storming state building with assault rifles and tactical cosplay costumes crying about freedom.

She took to the national airwaves to explain a four-stage lockdown system that New Zealand would use to confront the health crisis. "I'm speaking to all New Zealanders today to give you as much certainty and clarity as we can as we fight COVID-19," she said in a nationally televised address on March 21.

Ardern called the threat "unprecedented," but she was calm and reassuring. "Here's how we'll know what to do and when," she said as she laid out plans to shut down schools, most businesses and domestic travel.

Wiles at the University of Auckland says that the prime minister did something quite interesting: "Which was that unlike many other countries, she never put us on a war footing."

So Ardern's speeches weren't about attacking an invisible enemy — as many world leaders would say.

Instead she called on New Zealanders to confront this crisis by protecting their fellow citizens.

"She talked over and over about us being a team of 5 million and that we all do our part to break these chains of transmission and to eliminate the virus," Wiles says. "I think that has been one of the really crucial things — everybody knowing how they had to behave and that they were behaving for the good of everybody."

Wiles heard the prime minister's calls for everyone to come together so many times that she refers to it as Ardern doing her "united thing."

New Zealand is now reopening most businesses and is even talking about complete elimination of the coronavirus from its territory.

As of late May, New Zealand had had roughly 1,500 cases and fewer than 2 dozen deaths from COVID-19.
You mean she didn't defeat the virus by telling people to inject disinfectant, telling scientists to use a flu vaccine, tweeting and retweeting conspiracy theories, making up a fake political scandal about Obama, and accusing a TV host of murder?

I find that a little far-fetched.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Compare NZ's Covid stats with US states of similar size, like Minnesota or Alabama or Louisiana.

Reactions: $kully

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Sounds similar to Hawaii. This is great in the short run if we ignore the civil rights and economic aspects of things. Be interesting to see how this looks in 10 months. I wonder what their plans are for allowing flights to resume.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I'd go there just to see:

Got some good friends from the Auckland HC scene. Always made my sofa available to them when they came through my parts and have been meaning to take them up on the return offer for over 20yrs. Gotta say every kiwi I've ever known has been a remarkably good person. It's on my short list of places to visit.

Here's an old video from my friends Angelo and George's band The Bleeders...

Reactions: hal9000 and mundus

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Got some good friends from the Auckland HC scene. Always made my sofa available to them when they came through my parts and have been meaning to take them up on the return offer for over 20yrs. Gotta say every kiwi I've ever known has been a remarkably good person. It's on my short list of places to visit.

Here's an old video from my friends Angelo and George's band The Bleeders...

I dig that a lot.

Reactions: $kully

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
the plan is to open a Trans-Tasman bubble so Aus and NZ can travel freely between each country.

can't see travel from the USA being allowed into either Aus or NZ for a good long while.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005

I could take your premise, and just as logically demonstrate that New Zealand's corona virus success story is because they have kiwis there.