Meanwhile, in New Jersey

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
My sister lived in Williamsburg in Brooklyn for a long time before it got really fancy

it was generally a not so great neighborhood then and there was a lot of crime

but her block was almost totally Hasidic and they regulated the area so it was safe

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I’m fairly young and Williamsburg was not the greatest area even in my lifetime. It’s crazy how quick that changed.
Bed Stuy, Greenpoint, Bushwick...you could say the same thing about some cities on the Jersey side of the Hudson as well. Places that were the butt of jokes in the 1980s, the real estate prices will make you wince.

If the 'rona doesn't result in telecommunication-driven stagnation of urban real estate, I'd look to the Bronx. I read an article a couple years ago that parts of the South Bronx are filling up with Dominicans/Trinidadians etc. who were the first in their family to go to college, they got the city job, and now they're moving to places that used to be guaranteed death bombed out-looking burned down war zones. The sentiment was that nobody noticed or cared because it wasn't white gentrification. I checked out some zones on Google Earth street view and here and there it looks like you're two blocks from the projects and no need to worry about car maintenance because it'll be stolen before you need an oil change. Other places, I can't believe it's the South Bronx.

The prices in those places look hilariously more competitive than the other places that are gentrifying out from the city. Even where the Upper East Side becomes Spanish Harlem, it seems like that is moving North and in every year.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I taught high school in the Bronx for one year

Outside of the school I never felt unsafe

inside of the school was different

we had a few occasions where there was an announcement for all teachers to immediately lock the doors of their classrooms from the inside because there were gang brawls happening in the halls

there were metal detectors but kids were creative. One day a kid got his face smashed with a brick

Most of the kids were nice and scared of the bad kids

im sure the bad kids had learning disabilities and f’d up family situations that caused them to be the way they were, but by the time they hit high school it was too late

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I once took a girl on a first day to the Bronx, she had never been to Arthur ave or the Bronx botanical garden. The moment we stepped out of my truck we watched as a guy chased another guy down the street with a large knife

How long ago? This type of stuff used to be a regular occurrence, probably still is in some parts.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Schools closed for the rest of the year.

This sh*t sucks.

I feel bad for the kids and their parents. Kids are having a difficult time learning and having to do everything on their own. Parents are having a difficult time helping their kids learn. AP kids have had basically had to go full John Winger since mid-March.

They missed out on graduation, end-of-year sports stuff, art show, spring musical, Junior Prom, Senior Ball, senior picnic, project grad, and a million other things.

Starting the next year is gonna be weird. I have no idea how things like sports, dances, school plays, or even being in a classroom are going to work.

• Sad
Reactions: potato-nator

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

This sh*t sucks.

I feel bad for the kids and their parents. Kids are having a difficult time learning and having to do everything on their own. Parents are having a difficult time helping their kids learn. AP kids have had basically had to go full John Winger since mid-March.

They missed out on graduation, end-of-year sports stuff, art show, spring musical, Junior Prom, Senior Ball, senior picnic, project grad, and a million other things.

Starting the next year is gonna be weird. I have no idea how things like sports, dances, school plays, or even being in a classroom are going to work.
If it was threatened that teachers and school administrators would be laid off you can bet the kids would be back in the classroom by Thursday.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

This sh*t sucks.

Don't worry

We're going to destroy kids' educations too.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017

This sh*t sucks.

you can’t stop teenagers from partying