Max heart rate

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Treadmill. I'm sure you've done it before but if you want to find out what it is today you can take a stress test.
Thanks. That's how they first diagnosed the bridge. I thought I killed it. The lady administering the test told me I had the record for the longest time to get to max. But when the the results came back the MD said there were "anomalies."

I've heard to get a really good idea I should get a stress catherization. Somehow I doubt my insurance will cover.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Thanks. That's how the first diagnosed the bridge. I thought I killed it. The lady administering the test told me I had the record for the longest time to get to max. But when the the results came back the MD said there were "anomalies."

I've heard to get a really good idea I should get a stress catherization. Somehow I doubt my insurance will cover.
What does your cardiologist say?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
What does your cardiologist say?
Haven't seen him since quarantine started. My last visit was in January. At that time, since I really have no symptoms, he did not seem concerned. I told him I continue to run. Last year I was wearing the heart rate monitor more regularly. I seemed to plateau around 150bpm.If I took it easy it would go down to 140. It would go up to 160bpm if I was pushing myself. Since it was always pretty much the same I stopped wearing it.

Then on Thursday it was my first long (more than 8 mile) run in a few months so I decided to wear and got high readings- 160 most of the time, 170 when I pushed myself. I felt fine. I do realize that I have to curb my competitive instinct. I don't like being passed and will push myself in the presence of other runners.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You're not running as long and as often as before so your heart rate would generally be a bit higher. If your plan is to resume running at your former pace and frequency you should see your heart rate return to where it was previously.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Technically and terminology wise, 80% is NOT MAX. Max is max, 'nuff said. No one can go MAX for long. Anerobic threshold gets breached, lactic acid builds up, etc etc and you run out of gas. Training is about improving your ability to go higher, farther, faster, stronger to your personal best performance level. It reads as if with your training history you are physically fit, but there are many other factors like genetics, physical insults, diet, body chemistry that all interact daily on performance capabilities. Anyone could drop dead at any given moment, but thankfully few actually do. Sounds like you did ok. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: One-Off and Chocki

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
You could think of it this way: if your LAD gets obstructed during systole, increased heart rate means your heart is in systolic phase more frequently, which means more overall time that your LAD is obstructed. I agree with VM, follow what your cardiologist says.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Update- using the 220-age may max would be 161. Doing the actual field test described at this website (not the calculator) it was 177.

Phil Maffetone pioneered HR training, may want to check him out for his 180 formula. admittedly, i didn't do my homework prior to posting this, so the NTNU reference might be based on it.

Do you sleep well? Anxious? Stress? Poor diet? Many of these factors can impact HR. I've been religiously tracking my HR for 20 years and all of this plays with HR. Have it pretty dialed in for running, biking & erging to know where I should be. Sometimes, perceptions are reality. Mental and breathing can generally control it if it gets out of control.

Good luck.

Reactions: One-Off