Maui recs?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
MY best friend is taking his lady to HI and figured this place would be a wealth of knowledge or at the least funny jokes!

He dont surf but loves nature , ocean, food and weed haha!

Apologies if we already have 45 threads on this4C75C86F-4FC3-4669-9FE9-69BC063CC20D.jpeg

Last edited:

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Haleakala sunrise and/or bike ride and molokini snorkel boat trip esp. during whale season.

• Haha
Reactions: Pico

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I flew over Monday to see the lava. It stopped on Sunday
A lady friend of mines lives half way out at Pu'uanahulu Ranch between Kona and Waimea and said in the evening, traffic going up to the viewing points was like a slow moving, glowing caterpillar headed towards the spouting lava.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Get them on a plane as soon as they land and fly to Kauai or Oahu. Do not pass go or collect $200 dollars.. just get on the plane and go.
Get an RVBO at Sunset Point or just stay at Turtle Bay if that's easier.
If they must stay on Maui then whatever they do.. do not go on the road to Hana. Trust me on this one But perhaps the trip up Haleakala would be worth the effort?
And whatever they do.. do not go swimming in the ocean. Riddled with tiger sharks I'm not even kidding. :monkey:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I loved hana. Big, junky, empty surf. Maybe traffic is more of a nightmare these days.

A tree seed pod fell on my head but otherwise it was a good few day trip.

Reactions: keenfish

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
A lady friend of mines lives half way out at Pu'uanahulu Ranch between Kona and Waimea and said in the evening, traffic going up to the viewing points was like a slow moving, glowing caterpillar headed towards the spouting lava.
Incredible. Next time I dont care where I am Im not wasting time. Im on the next plane.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I used to live in a lean too shack with a dirt floor nailed onto the side of Kenny Tiltons house at Sunset Point. Right at the drain pipe. So unreal
When I first got to California in1959, Larry Felker and Kenny were shaping boards for Hap Jacobs in his new shop on PCH in Hermosa Beach. Kenny lived off and on, on the Big Island of Hawaii in the 1970’s and eventually built a house in Hawaiian Ocean View Estates. He also had a little place in the Philippines where he shaped, surfed and sold his boards.

Kenny shaped boards for a few manufacturers on the West coast and Doug Haut up in Santa Cruz.
On Maui, Kenny shaped beautiful, wall hanging surfboards made from local Hawaiian woods. He spent time in Tahiti in shaping and constructing Tahitian canoes with the local Tahitians. Kenny was a master craftsman.

Kenny passed recently and will be missed in the Pacific Ocean community. Kenny’s Son, carries-on with the Tilton legacy.