Maui recommendations?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Taking the fam to Maui July 3rd-10th, staying up by Kapalua.

Need recs for local food spots, hikes and ocean activities.

Any surf shops I should support in the area? I'm not expecting much surf, but the wife is really looking forward to it.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Poki - Fish Market Maui

Thai - Thai Chef Restaurant

Star Noodle

Ono Tacos Lahaina Maui

There would be waves to catch over on that side

Hikes - I only know the other side.. Twin Falls and Hana

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Waihee Ridge Trail... I wouldnt bother going all the way to the end though as it just ends at a picnic table with no view... You'll see a waterfall off in the distance withon the first mile, but once you top out on the ride looking down on Kahului I'd say thats the best part.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
Plate lunch from Waikapu on 30 on your way from airport to Kapalua.

Drive around the north side of the island. Check out the blowhole. Eat some banana bread, taro chips, and other deliciousness from the stand.

Reactions: retodd

rkgoshi

OTF status
Jul 29, 2012
Kapalua Sansei early bird sushi go early stand in line. Ohana tacos Ono tacos r good!

Looking for try local food? Kaohu Store for poke. Kahului Chevron for spam musubi. Sam Sato for dry mein. Poi by da Pound for Hawaiian. Old school plate lunch breaded teriyaki at Cupies just reopened. Ichiban Okazuya in Wailuku is great. Uptown Chevron in Wailuku is also very local. Pukalani Superette has really good tako poke! Old school bakery: go Komodas. Cream puffs and long johns are Ono! New school bakery Leoda pies.

Surf Lahaina early as in 500am. Catch your share of waves before 630am and go back to Kapalua. Go Haleakala and Hana if you never been. If you already went, go someplace else.

Main thing is try hard not to do too much. Slow down, inhale the good and exhale the not so good. Let the reality that you are in Maui and be grateful! Too many come here and try to do too much! No can do everything....Relax, watch the sunrise and the sunset, catch a couple glassy waves in Lahaina. Enjoy Your Maui Summer Vacation!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
reviving this thread because I just booked a trip for the week of Thanksgiving. Staying in Kapalua with 2 little kids (under 3). Realistically, will mostly be with the kids around the hotel, but hoping to get out for a couple surfs. Are there any decent breaks within walking distance? Been told to check out Baby Beach for the kids, which looks promisingly close to Lahaina.

How about some easy hikes with the kids?

Last edited:

James -Bummer Jim-Devlin

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2004
kauai- excramento
www.flickr.com
reviving this thread because I just booked a trip for the week of Thanksgiving. Staying in Kapalua with 2 little kids (under 3). Realistically, will mostly be with the kids around the hotel, but hoping to get out for a couple surfs. Are there any decent breaks within walking distance? Been told to check out Baby Beach for the kids, which looks promisingly close to Lahaina.

How about some easy hikes with the kids?
that area of maui has many ok to epic spots that parking is a real problem that walking from a nearby resort is a plus to get to them
some resorts sits right on the breaks
too

need to trim trees

real great trail for strollers

Reactions: oeste858

rkgoshi

OTF status
Jul 29, 2012
Watch the women at da bay! Nov 25 - December 6. Carissa rips! Saw Sally running a couple times. Envy that they get to surf cave with only two people while it’s normally surfed with 50! Whale watching season too! Enjoy Maui!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Didn’t even end up bringing a board. Our kids are just too little to sneak off for a few hours to surf. We’re staying at RC at Kapalua and haven’t seen much surf around (that I could walk to) yet. Looks like Ironwoods might be slightly better than the shorebreak at DT Fleming beach but neither really excites. Pretty sure the Women’s contest at The Bay is still on hold.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Didn’t even end up bringing a board. Our kids are just too little to sneak off for a few hours to surf. We’re staying at RC at Kapalua and haven’t seen much surf around (that I could walk to) yet. Looks like Ironwoods might be slightly better than the shorebreak at DT Fleming beach but neither really excites. Pretty sure the Women’s contest at The Bay is still on hold.
Next Bay South to Surf then eat at The Gazebo. Or Boogie Board by Merrimans...

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Heading there in Aug. with the wife and kids.
scored a sweet deal at the Hyatt residence club.

I know theres a bunch of erbbs on Maui, anyone willing to rent or loan a board for a few days?

Whats it take to goto Haleakala these days? want to take the kids into the crater for a hike.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Renting a board on Maui is easy and most places will allow you to trade out boards at will if you do a multi -day deal.