Maui/Oahu Honeymoon In December

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Going to Maui and Oahu in December for our honeymoon, already have the accommodations in Maui booked—staying near Ka’anapali for a week. Planning on heading to Oahu for the next few days to a week after. I haven’t been to Oahu since I was a teenager and she’s never been, so we definitely want to briefly experience the goofy/touristy chaos that is Waikiki for a day or two. I’ve never been to Hawai’i during winter so I’m stocked to check out and surf north shore breaks.

-where would you recommend staying on Oahu? Thinking 2 nights or so in town and then 3-4 on north shore
-activities (hikes/sightseeing/historical spots/beaches) on Maui and Oahu
-food and drink recommendations for both islands

Since it’s a honeymoon and not a total bro down surf trip I can’t make it all about me so I figure I’ll have to surf out of convenience—anyone want to PM me spots/areas to surf for Maui and Oahu. Not asking for secret spots (but I’ll take suggestions anyways).

Thanks!
:cheers:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If you can afford Turtle Bay, stay there. If it's over xmas, you are looking at $500-800 a night. Lots of AIRBNB OR VRBO in the condos just outside Turtle Bay. You can still post up at the pool bar and watch the sunsets.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
northshore will be a zoo in december
koolina or aulani to get away
surf makaha

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
You are right. Never again will I go to Hawaii over Christmas. Too many fucking people.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Went to Kauai (6 nights) and Oahu (4 nights) on my honeymoon. Some Husband & Wife activities that should work for you both, and will still put you in the water / near the surf on Oahu are as follows:

1) Sharks Cove on the North Shore just before Ehukai is a well known snorkel spot.

2) Went to go snorkel and hang out at Hanauma Bay, but it was closed on Tuesday with the gate to the area locked. Supposed to be another great snorkel spot and looks like a cool Beach / Bay: https://hanaumabaystatepark.com/

3) Hike Diamond Head. Don't be like the idiots who come in their cheap rubber sandals with no water. The trail gets steep and rocky and pretty hot up there as the crater blocks the wind. The views from the top are worth it and its good excercise.

4) SUP or go Longboarding off Waikiki (Fours, Threes, Canoes, Queens, etc.) Even if your wife doesnt surf, it should be mellow enough that you can paddle out together and just hang out on the boards / in the water.