Maui newcomer beatdown video

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
I had never seen the whole video. First they tell him to leave, then they try to keep him from leaving. Confusing. Who was in the right here?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I remember that. That's old. I never saw the sentencing stuff. Probation. lol.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
info from youtube comments:

Those 2 knuckleheads were given less than 5 years each.

I heard this guy bought property in a poor area where families struggle to feed themselves. He then fenced of areas and blocked access to a river where families spend lots of time, where hunting trails are accessible from. That doesn’t make what those locals did right. But it seems people keep buying up land then fencing off their sections. He blocked the river, that’s half way blocking off religious and cultural rights to some people around here. It was an inevitable outcome. He should of had a gun to defend himself though, just common sense when you totally and selfishly screw over your neighbors. Hawaii is a community and family based society. Sharing is most important.

2 years ago
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Friday, January 15, 2021 Two Maui Men Charged With Hate Crimes For Racially Motivated Attack A federal grand jury in Honolulu, Hawaii, returned an indictment charging Kaulana Alo Kaonohi and Levi Aki, Jr. with a hate crime for their racially motivated attack on a Caucasian man who was attempting to move into the defendants’ Native Hawaiian neighborhood of Kahakuloa on Maui. The indictment was announced today by Acting Assistant Attorney General John B. Daukas for the Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division, U.S. Attorney Kenji M. Price for the District of Hawaii, and FBI Honolulu Special Agent in Charge Eli S. Miranda. The indictment alleges that, on Feb. 13, 2014, Kaonohi and Aki willfully caused bodily injury to C.K., and attempted to cause bodily injury to C.K. through the use of a dangerous weapon (a shovel), because of C.K.’s actual and perceived race and color.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I believe the "less than five years" was less than five years... of probation.

:roflmao: Not exactly a slap on the pee-pee with a splintered ruler.

"Warning: This video includes graphic violence and explicit language. It shows a caucasian homeowner in Kahakuloa Village, Maui, being terrorized by his neighbors in 2014 for having the "wrong f--king color skin." The attackers, Levi “Pio” Aki Jr., and Kaulana Alo Kaonohi, reached plea deals with prosecutors. Aki was sentenced last month to probation, with credit for 6 months served in jail. Kaonohi was sentenced today. He received 4 years probation and no jail time. The victim, Christopher Kunzelman, called it "insulting." Kaonohi was also recently sentenced to probation and one year work release jail for an unprovoked attack on a stranger in a bar just 5 months after he assaulted his neighbor."

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
info from youtube comments:

Those 2 knuckleheads were given less than 5 years each.

I heard this guy bought property in a poor area where families struggle to feed themselves. He then fenced of areas and blocked access to a river where families spend lots of time, where hunting trails are accessible from. That doesn’t make what those locals did right. But it seems people keep buying up land then fencing off their sections. He blocked the river, that’s half way blocking off religious and cultural rights to some people around here. It was an inevitable outcome. He should of had a gun to defend himself though, just common sense when you totally and selfishly screw over your neighbors. Hawaii is a community and family based society. Sharing is most important.
That's an interesting take.

Is there documentation of his previous encounters with the locals (I'm assuming diplomacy was attempted first for it to come to this).

All I heard mentioned in the video seemed to indicate his skin color was the issue.

Also, in the USA people don't struggle to feed themselves unless they're spending all their money on drugs/ETOH. There's abundant government handouts and free food...Every one of the locals in that video is overweight or obese.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Fckin punks no doubt. I will say though blocking areas that is historically used by locals isn’t exactly getting off to the right start.

wasn’t the house purchased site unseen for a very low amount?

Reactions: sizzld1

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I can also see that playing out terribly for the homeowner. It's a small community... on an island... fighting against an entire community, many of which could be armed themselves.
Blast the invaders off, call the police right away and barricade inside the house until they arrive. It was already playing out terribly for the homeowner. I do get your point though.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
$175k for ocean front property sight unseen. It's obviously not an excuse for what happened to these people, but when a deal sounds too good to be true...you might want to do some due diligence before you agree.

Btw, from the article I saw this morning, it sounds like these people still own the property and would be happy to consider any reasonable offers :waving: