mature Dante reviews?

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
I apologize for not wading through the wetsuit thread. It is too bulky and time consuming for me.

To the point, have any of you feedback on the Matuse Dante, the hoodless version (3/2 or 4/3) that you could share?

Thanks. I have used their Tumo and Hoplite for 10 years (got them cheap and have sent them back for repairs) and I like their warm, durability and non-absorbing properties, but I know the Dante is not the same material. But they have my size for sale in a vintage model and if it fits and lasts even close the other ones I am interested.

Thanks.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
When I tried one on at Mitch's the guy told me that they were going to do a redesign for this years suits with an improvement. He told me that you won't get the reliability of the hoplite or tumo models. You also need to size up. I wear a large tumo and the XL dante fit the same when I tried it on. The detached chest zip and weird velcro pullover inner jersey kinda bugged be to be honest

Jul 15, 2008
I have been using Matuse Wetsuits since 2013. I have two Tumos from 2013 that I still use, two Dantes (one from 2016 and the other from 2019), and one new Tumo from last year (2022). All the wetsuits are 3/2, aside from the 2013 Tumos that are 2/2.

My feedback is that the Dantes are very similar in warmth, and more flexible than the Geoprene Tumos, but they don´t last as much as the Tumos.

My Dante from 2016 broke in my knee last year (2021) (I don´t use it anymore), and my 2019 Dante is holding well. I try to rotate my wetsuits as much as I can.

My takeaways are the following: I will buy more Geoprene wetsuits at a discount. I like Geoprene more than the Geoflex material. That said, for the price of the Geoprene suits, I think they are a very good deal compared with other wetsuits on the market.

From my friends, I was the only one using Matuse wetsuits. Now all my friends are using them. Mainly Geoflex wetsuits.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: perfect_wave

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hmmm, I've been pretty happy with my dante. It's not a perfect suit but it's pretty warm, flexible enough, and has held up well for me. Mine is on its second season (maybe 2.5 seasons in actually) and it still gets the job done. It does leak a bit more than when it was brand new and I find the neck area can flush a little bit when first going out but otherwise I find it to be a comfortable and reliably warm suit (5/4). I would not in a million years replace my hyperfreaks with dante's. The 5/4 hyperfreak is much warmer and more flexible than the 5/4 dante which I would put between a 5/4 and 4/3 hyperfreak in terms of warmth. The dante is definitely more reliable than my hyperfreak though so if you can about that it's worth considering. It seems like the neck entry on the tumo would solve the flushing problem on the dante but anything less flexible than a dante and I'd rather just be a little bit cold... also $700... happy to just stick with two hyperfreaks at that price.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I agree with sizing up. I have a 2/2 short arm Dante in large and could easily go XL.
As far as performance goes, I immediately felt the seams in the legs leak as I waded out very first surf. Also it’s the hardest suit to get out of that I’ve ever had and it’s a 2 mil short arm ffs! Sizing is a factor as it’s so damn tight on my arms.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I would not buy any wetsuit named “Dante”.
Have you considered starting your own Casamoogsies Reports consumer review media enterprise? I swear you've posted detailed feedback on some Drivers, the Pier Pony, a Rusty, Sharp Eye, and I think I've tallied Cyber, Axxe, that French wetsuit company, another one you refused to name....

Or at least a dollar store tequila brand called Casamugros or something that rips off Casamigos branding to appeal to Icy Hot Stuntaz and other aspiring Andrew Tates, without actually trademark infringing?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Have you considered starting your own Casamoogsies Reports consumer review media enterprise? I swear you've posted detailed feedback on some Drivers, the Pier Pony, a Rusty, Sharp Eye, and I think I've tallied Cyber, Axxe, that French wetsuit company, another one you refused to name....

Or at least a dollar store tequila brand called Casamugros or something that rips off Casamigos branding to appeal to Icy Hot Stuntaz and other aspiring Andrew Tates, without actually trademark infringing?
TBH I’d like to look into starting a wetsuit company.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I agree with sizing up. I have a 2/2 short arm Dante in large and could easily go XL.
As far as performance goes, I immediately felt the seams in the legs leak as I waded out very first surf. Also it’s the hardest suit to get out of that I’ve ever had and it’s a 2 mil short arm ffs! Sizing is a factor as it’s so damn tight on my arms.
I had the same s/s 2mil and it is really easy to get on (that is the idea of the open collar and fully detachable zipper), but I agree it can be a pain to wriggle out of, for some reason. It was a good thin suit for SoCal summer/fall, down to about 60F water.
I tried a 4/3 hooded version on a few months ago, and with the thicker material, it did not seem easy to get in or out of. My usual LT definitely felt snug. Decided the fit / design wasn't for me. No experience with their other models except 3mil Scipio, which IMO was a really warm suit.

edit: here's a review:
Like the review says, the entry is a good idea, but probably needs some tweaking for the next iteration of the suit.

[dank RasTrent dreads, bro. So irie!]
13323688_10154148354256346_8618198427383148865_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Toobz

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
In addition to shitting up OP's thread with degeneracy, there are some Dante mentions for a few pages starting with page 4 in the good hooded 4/3 thread:

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I had the same s/s 2mil and it is really easy to get on (that is the idea of the open collar and fully detachable zipper), but I agree it can be a pain to wriggle out of, for some reason. It was a good thin suit for SoCal summer/fall, down to about 60F water.
I tried a 4/3 hooded version on a few months ago, and with the thicker material, it did not seem easy to get in or out of. My usual LT definitely felt snug. Decided the fit / design wasn't for me. No experience with their other models except 3mil Scipio, which IMO was a really warm suit.

edit: here's a review:
Like the review says, the entry is a good idea, but probably needs some tweaking for the next iteration of the suit.

[dank RasTrent dreads, bro. So irie!]
View attachment 145085
I agree, not hard to get into at all it’s just getting out of the damn thing. I don’t see mine lasting long with the battle I have getting the thing off. Those seams will be facked in no time.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
doubt sizing these up will help with fit. pattern is kinda whacked. took a chance on a 5/4 hooded sale. was cheap enough. nice and light. dries pretty fast and doesnt leave a neoprene shroud of turin on your wax.

but...for a size large
the hood is too small and the legs are too short. the arms are too long and the shoulders/chest is too tight. which other than the shoulders and chest makes no sense.

it has stretched some as jap rubber will do but still a bitch to get out of. the rubber does feel nice but not 5/4 warm. and yes it flushes. not often but when it flushes it flushes a lot.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
weird. size large in oneil, LT Isurus, L Matuse. A little snug at first but my tumo is pretty much on par with my oneill
We have this discount surf store where I bought mine from. I wonder if that's the reason they were all there - must have been big batches of them that just came out tiny? Speaking to the kid at the store when I went to replace it with somethign else, he said that a lot of people were giving them the same feedback ...woulda been nice to have known that before buying it.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Matuse is midget sized - be very careful if buying online... I had a hell of a time getting in & out of mine Easily size one, or even 2 sizes up when buying these.
It's the neoprene.

Around 10 years ago when they were the next big thing I bought one an never used it - it was practically impossible to slide into.

No fucking way was I going to spend 10 minutes struggling to get into a suit.

Sold to some fool on craigslist.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
It's the neoprene.

Around 10 years ago when they were the next big thing I bought one an never used it - it was practically impossible to slide into.

Gave mine to a mate that's a lot smaller than me - usually wears a medium - and he loves the large. The rubber felt good to me after some shoulder dislocation action getting in and out. Actually wore the springy for most of a winter season, but I should have ditched it after the first surf .... or actually tried the thing on in the store ( who does that anyway for a wetsuit?)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It's the neoprene.

I thought Matuse was the fancy Japanese stuff that's good?

I was looking at the 2mm jackets on the intarwebz. Took me a minute to realize one of their offerings is a full front zip. But the backzip ones looked interedasting.