Master shapers to buy a board while you can list...

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
The thing is, I been looking at the desert storm step up version since both you and Maz were talking about it. It sparked my memory to check his boards out after seing one at my local.

My trip to Sumbawa is postponed until further notice... so got some time to find the step up I love.

Not that either of them would be used much where I am, but since you’re an ex-Sunny Coaster, which do you reckon would work at Wurtulla best on those very rare occasions?
Anything works at Wurties when it's firing .

Get both.

DS will be a bit more versatile.

Reactions: waxfoot

JKH

Jan 27, 2020
Owl Chapmann Sunset Gun, Parmenter 10' 6'' Paddle surf
I have a few Owls and a few Brewers. I have no idea why but Owl's boards are as "magic" as he says they are and like them more than Dick's. First time I surfed Sunset was on a rising swell and on a new Owl, scared out of my pants, made every wave, it was like a security blanket being on that gun. Rawson has made some amazing short boards and semis for me as well. All three of them need a Jack Reeves glass job or you're missing something.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I hate wall hangers but if I was ever able to get a BK custom single fin sunset gun it would most likely hang from a wall at my age;)

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I have a few Owls and a few Brewers. I have no idea why but Owl's boards are as "magic" as he says they are and like them more than Dick's. First time I surfed Sunset was on a rising swell and on a new Owl, scared out of my pants, made every wave, it was like a security blanket being on that gun. Rawson has made some amazing short boards and semis for me as well. All three of them need a Jack Reeves glass job or you're missing something.
Just so I dont get accused of claiming I have only surfed sunset a couple of times,, just love the looks of Owl's boards.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I have a microdirt that I like to ride when the waves call for it. Always wanted an MP or a Hot Generation, but I heard Hilbers has more or less gone MIA and hasn't been shaping for a little while now.

I picked up a 6'0" Bonzer Egg two years ago. Been my go to around here when the waves are good and would love to add another Bonzer in the mix once I get through grad school.
He used to work Sundays at Val Surf in valley village (probably not anymore since covid lockdown). Might ask them though. I've thought about ordering something from him because I moved a couple years ago and I think he lives like 10 minutes away from my new house... but I've never ridden anything hullish before. Maybe his slightly hullish egg would be a good entry point.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
He used to work Sundays at Val Surf in valley village (probably not anymore since covid lockdown). Might ask them though. I've thought about ordering something from him because I moved a couple years ago and I think he lives like 10 minutes away from my new house... but I've never ridden anything hullish before. Maybe his slightly hullish egg would be a good entry point.
even before bj went awol trying to order off him was a minefield. heard some guys had noproblem but everytkme i tried it fell apart into late night rambles. not surprised he needed a time out

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
even before bj went awol trying to order off him was a minefield. heard some guys had noproblem but everytkme i tried it fell apart into late night rambles. not surprised he needed a time out
Hopefully he is able to get back in the saddle at some point. I love his boards and there is definitely a demand for them.

Reactions: HSY

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
MP is very similiar to egg shape less hull and razor sharp rails etc but has those beautiful "S" rails. I rode my MP like most ride eggs worked great at local beachbreak from 2' to oh+ and I got to ride her during last good El Nino here in CA '07(?) local beach looked like Burleigh Heads:)

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
For sure

I dont know if I'd surf it but the craftsmanship is insane
View attachment 97594
ive got a few. hands down makes the best longboards ive ever ridden, and ive ridden a ton.
kinda trips me out that his boards arnt universally known. mine are vanilla compared to alot of his work, but seems like a session doesnt go by without someone saying "whoa nice board. who made it?"

when tell them jim phillips, i always get the same blank stare. its obvious they dont have the faintest idea about the genius

Reactions: rowjimmytour

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
MP is very similiar to egg shape less hull and razor sharp rails etc but has those beautiful "S" rails. I rode my MP like most ride eggs worked great at local beachbreak from 2' to oh+ and I got to ride her during last good El Nino here in CA '07(?) local beach looked like Burleigh Heads:)
Thanks for the info. MP and GeeBee both always looked really interesting to me. Hmmm, maybe time to get rid of some old boards and to make some room in the rack and try to track him down for an MP.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks for the info. MP and GeeBee both always looked really interesting to me. Hmmm, maybe time to get rid of some old boards and to make some room in the rack and try to track him down for an MP.
Never rode on but felt her out on rack and geebee is bladey hull 100% dusplacement hull ride in middle. While MP is full on funtional single mid length mine had widow maker set up and rode really good in the tube.