Mast length

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
My prone standard has been 27" and 29" sup/wing. I have been forced lately to use a 32" due to a technical problem. And I really like it, think I am going to stick with it. The extra height gives more room to play with to avoid breaches. The only negative is that on marginal days where depth is an issue, the extra few inches can be a session ender.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Standard seems to have settled around 75cm. Misterbennets was on an 81cm mast when he was on Unifoil. He's trying all kinds of different gear now including custom masts so I don't know the lengths anymore. He liked the extra length to be able to lean it over.

I personally rode 75cm for a long time. Got a custom mast that was longer, about 82cm. Liked it as it had a bit of extra room to avoid breeching. I did hit bottom a lot though and that is a problem with the places I surf. One of the spots is high tide only and it would limit my sessions. I'm on a lift 28" now which is slightly shorter than 75cm and have become used to it.

@steamroller rode a long gofoil mast for awhile. 36" I think. He could lean carves over so far. But found catching tiny waves harder as the foil was below the energy of the wave.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I use a 75 cm one right now but I keep breaching it.

I dont know if weight plays any factor. I am about 240.

Wondering if I should try the 82 cm?

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
yup....what Hd1p said...82/85cm....32.5/33" is the limit...im 240# also but.mostly.ride small.weak socal waves.so putting the wing in and out of the power is real noticeable...but you hawaii guys got all kinds of power waves ...of course hitting the reef becomes a biig issue

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
yup....what Hd1p said...82/85cm....32.5/33" is the limit...im 240# also but.mostly.ride small.weak socal waves.so putting the wing in and out of the power is real noticeable...but you hawaii guys got all kinds of power waves ...of course hitting the reef becomes a biig issue
Does it work surfing a longer 85 in softer waves?

That spot with the anchor on the bottom in town, can try the 85 there?

I keep breaching and Im not sure if its me or the mast length would be better for me cause my weight and height.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
KDMaui advice. If you're breeching and blowing out of the water, move mast back. If you're pearling or digging rails in turns move mast forward.

When I rode a longer mast for awhile I found that yes, I didn't breech much at first. Eventually you get used to the new length and just ride that bit higher. The foil wants to be in the sweet spot regardless of mast length. I'm 6'1" and was 185# when I rode that one. Prone on a 4'6". I am fine on the lift 28" though. I tried the lift 24" and it was way to short for me.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
yeah....if youre breaching a lot keep moving the mast back 1/4inch at a time till you get to the point where the board doesnt want to fly...then move it foreward 1/8 inch and fore/back till you find the sweet spot

tuning the foil to the board and finding the sweet spot is a major part of it...so much back and forth of the mast position and if you have tail shims thats a whole nother can of worms...a LOT of guys just bolt the foil on any old place and come to the quick conclusion...this board/foil sux...but they havent tuned it properly so they'll never know

Reactions: grendel95
Apr 4, 2020
I've used 28" (71cm) and 32" (81cm) Lift masts with LIft 120HA.

The 32" mast makes taking off on bigger waves easier. I didn't have any problems with the 32" mast when riding weak, WH waves. I haven't been able to tell any difference in my pump performance between the two masts. However, I mostly ride the 28" mast due to sea grass and hitting bottom.

With the 32" mast, I either needed to use a foilboard with zero tail rocker to prevent nose diving at higher speeds, or increase the negative angle on the tail. Of course, with Lift, to change the tail angle, I needed to get the tail adapter.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I just got the axis 850mm and now thinking about trying it too surf. picked it up too learn to wing but may be worth trying when it is bigger and deeper.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Longer mast is more forgiving. If you have the water depth for sure try it.

What's interesting is lining up masts next to each other. Even within the same brand, they're not the same length. Example. The AXIS 75cm aluminum is longer than the 76cm carbon.