Massive Iceberg Threat to Island

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Visited Patagonia 10-15 years ago. Took a boat to the ice bergs. Captain sent a couple of crew over the rail with a saw and they went deep and came back with XXX,000,000 years old ice that became exposed to the elements for the first time. Ice chunk went right into my glass of whisky! Another one off the bucket list! 2DA5475F-37FD-47AF-82F0-A793E145A71B.jpeg

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Visited Patagonia 10-15 years ago. Took a boat to the ice bergs. Captain sent a couple of crew over the rail with a saw and they went deep and came back with XXX,000,000 years old ice that became exposed to the elements for the first time. Ice chunk went right into my glass of whisky! Another one off the bucket list! View attachment 102131
You couldn't just gets some ice out of the freezer? WTF, J?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
One I took the 25 cent ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island back in the day, grabbed a beer and a hot dog, rode back.

Cheapest tour ever.
My dad was stationed on Staten Island at Fort Wadsworth after WWII in the 1940s. Don’t remember much other than it was cold, but the family photos seem to awaken a few other memories.

Reactions: Mr Doof

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Visited Patagonia 10-15 years ago. Took a boat to the ice bergs. Captain sent a couple of crew over the rail with a saw and they went deep and came back with XXX,000,000 years old ice that became exposed to the elements for the first time. Ice chunk went right into my glass of whisky! Another one off the bucket list! View attachment 102131
^^^Very fun^^^
My buddy and wife along with my wife and I did something similar on a fishing charter out of Yakutat.
Went and checked out the Hubbard Glacier and scooped a cooler full of ice chunks and back at the condo made million-year- old margaritas.

Reactions: john4surf

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Manhattan is tiny. Why must they always compare sh!t to Manhattan? Has anyone even been to Manhattan besides Manhattaners? :cursing:
Because the people who write these articles live in Manhattan and think that Manhattan is the center of the universe.

I once rejected a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from a Manhattan bar tender because he wanted $11 for it. He told me his bar was the “only place in the state of New York” to get that beer.

I told him they sold it by the case at Wegmans in Ithaca and left. People in Manhattan have no idea what goes on outside in the rest of the world.

Reactions: john4surf

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
South Georgia island was where Ernest Shackleton finally ended up.

He landed on the wrong side and had to scale a mountain range to get to the only inhabited spot, a whaling station. I saw this documentary recently on a research expedition to locate his ship, The Endurance in the Waddell sea.

800 miles in a little open boat from Elephant island/south Shetland islands through the roughest seas on this planet. And then he and his small crew had to climb over a mountain range. Conrad Anker, narrated. He's a multiple time Everest summiter. He traced the route. He was blown away by the technical nature, the limited resources they would have had

Shackleton made it. Then went back to Elephant island and rescued the rest of his crew.

The Waddell sea off of Anarctica is pretty much just a giant floating iceberg. Endurance spent 11 months trapped in pack ice there and drifted almost 300 miles before it was cruched like kindling and had to be abandoned.