Mandalay Beach Done?

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
!. Cement path to the beach is buried in two feet of sand.
2. Trash is everywhere.
3. Was told that it was going to be let go, parking lot and path
because of all the junkies that hang in the bushes at night
killing themselves.

Drugs seem to be taking over California and the homeless population is
unsolvable. Surf can be very good.IMG_0598.jpeg

Last edited:

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
That's where I learned to surf...

And yes....can grind...

Still remember one swell summer like 73-74...

On my canvas mat w/ Duck Fins...

Lifeguard truck pulled up one the beach...and watched.

Mat was too stiff in those days...did not run into George until later...

:waving:

:drowning:

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Reverse gentrification going on... a shame. Demolition Man seems to be coming truer every day - Associate Bob (uh, not you. The Bob from the movie) is the end result of the latest kumbaya movements. The homeless could also use an advocate like Edgar Friendly; would give them more pizzazz.

Anyways, great pic of the old stomping grounds. :shaka:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've surfed on either side of Mandalay hundreds of times each but don't think I've ever parked at and paddled out at Mandalay where the park is. It's usually a sh1tty closeout to reform, and I've seen 1 pic of it going off. Look at what happened to McGrath campground up the way. It's literally a swamp.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I've caught it good a handful of times. Usually park a bit north and walk in.
I've seen plenty of yuppie white people walking dogs, but no drugs or trash :shrug:

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
One of my kids is living with a friend whose parents have a spare 5 million dollar house on Venice Beach. (or at least that's what it what was bought for) The beach has been taken over by the homeless. Dirty needles and human waste everywhere. They have people in the yard at night and they're afraid to go outside after dark. I have to wonder if the place has not lost some value on the open market. They've turned the beach into a Skid Row alternative.

Thanks Newsome!

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
!. Cement path to the beach is buried in two feet of sand.
2. Trash is everywhere.
3. Was told that it was going to be let go, parking lot and path
because of all the junkies that hang in the bushes at night
killing themselves.

Drugs seem to be taking over California and the homeless population is
unsolvable. Surf can be very good.View attachment 111485
Bob do you live here?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
My wife and I took PCH on the way to get our Global Entry passes at LAX back in April.
Hadn't taken that route in quite a few years.
We were shocked at the amount of homeless RVs parked everywhere along the highway.
What was really eye opening was all the tents and junk piles on the beach north of Santa Monica pier.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
So let me get this straight. Is everyone just ignoring the 'no overnight parking' signs now, including the cops? I swear if I ever did that, I'd get woken up in the middle of the night by a CHP or Sheriff, and subjected to a cavity search, ticket, and ensuing fine.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So let me get this straight. Is everyone just ignoring the 'no overnight parking' signs now, including the cops? I swear if I ever did that, I'd get woken up in the middle of the night by a CHP or Sheriff, and subjected to a cavity search, ticket, and ensuing fine.
I imagine they’ve given up. Too tiring and a waste of time

Reactions: PRCD and r32

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Reverse gentrification going on... a shame. Demolition Man seems to be coming truer every day - Associate Bob (uh, not you. The Bob from the movie) is the end result of the latest kumbaya movements. The homeless could also use an advocate like Edgar Friendly; would give them more pizzazz.

Anyways, great pic of the old stomping grounds. :shaka:
At least they can scavenge for their 3 sea shells :poop: :beer:

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
Yes. Same exact thing in San Diego.
There are people squatting all along the coast highway in shitty motorhomes. The signs prohibit overnight camping and there are big fines associated with it. They refuse to write the tickets anymore. This has been going on for some time now. I have seen them bypass 30 motorhomes that are illegally camping and write a ticket to a surfer who is standing next to his car checking the surf 10 minutes before the A.M. stipulation of the time morning parking can legally resume. Obviously someone is giving them orders to leave boondockers alone. A while back I saw one that dumped his holding tank into the rocks along the side of the highway. It was disgusting.

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
One of my kids is living with a friend whose parents have a spare 5 million dollar house on Venice Beach. (or at least that's what it what was bought for) The beach has been taken over by the homeless. Dirty needles and human waste everywhere. They have people in the yard at night and they're afraid to go outside after dark. I have to wonder if the place has not lost some value on the open market. They've turned the beach into a Skid Row alternative.

Thanks Newsome!
Boo fucking hoo.

The same people who complain about the homeless also don't want to build housing near them for the homeless (let alone market rate development). Or pay taxes/support more services to get these people off the street. Everybody is so wrapped up in their home values that they can't pull their heads out of their asses to figure out a solution.

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
Boo fucking hoo.

The same people who complain about the homeless also don't want to build housing near them for the homeless (let alone market rate development). Or pay taxes/support more services to get these people off the street. Everybody is so wrapped up in their home values that they can't pull their heads out of their asses to figure out a solution.
I actually volunteer at a homeless shelter on a regular basis. I don't own the house. I couldn't afford it. And somehow building low cost housing on some of the most expensive real estate seems like kind of a fail. Basic math? Think about it genius. I also pay my taxes. And of course people are concerned with the valuation of one of the most expensive things they own. Again, basic math? And I love how you're "they" are tasked with pulling "their heads out of their asses to figure out a solution." What's the matter with your head? Stuck deep in your ass? You're so smart, you figure it out. So fvck you and your stereotypes.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I often park on the north side of the park to surf and don't recall ever seeing a homeless person or a lot of trash. Even farther north near the power station there's not a lot of homeless camping out.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
That's always where I parked when the sand was good in that spot and never saw homeless people/trash. The liquor store lot on Wooley seemed to attract more of that.

And to clarify, we're talking in front of the grass park near the hotel, and not what Google maps refers to as Mandalay near 5th st, right?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I actually volunteer at a homeless shelter on a regular basis. I don't own the house. I couldn't afford it. And somehow building low cost housing on some of the most expensive real estate seems like kind of a fail. Basic math? Think about it genius. I also pay my taxes. And of course people are concerned with the valuation of one of the most expensive things they own. Again, basic math? And I love how you're "they" are tasked with pulling "their heads out of their asses to figure out a solution." What's the matter with your head? Stuck deep in your ass? You're so smart, you figure it out. So fvvk you and your stereotypes.
CCEE3F41-436A-4D05-AD4F-BEB85793FEBD.gif