not everyone is hurting or will be hurting like everyone claims
but they seem untouchable
everyone else is their slaves
make them pay

Reactions: mundus

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Raising Corp tax rate will result in job losses and potentially companies moving headquarters out of USA. Prior to recent Corp tax cuts, it was more profitable for a company to locate in Canada which had a lower rate.
I’m in favor of making capital gains rates commensurate with rates on wages. I don’t think it’s fair to value capital over labor

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Raising Corp tax rate will result in job losses and potentially companies moving headquarters out of USA. Prior to recent Corp tax cuts, it was more profitable for a company to locate in Canada which had a lower rate.
I’m in favor of making capital gains rates commensurate with rates on wages. I don’t think it’s fair to value capital over labor
Still drinking the trickle down koolaid, huh?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
On paper we had a reasonable corporate tax rate, but a usual the law was written with so many loop holes the corp tax was much lower than other 1st world nations.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So taxes on wages should be lowered.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Trump said the same thing during an economic doom while massively increasing the deficit. Only in America do middleclass people fight for the right of billionaires to pay as little in tax as possible.
The increase in the deficit is from spending. Tax revenue to the treasury has increased every year during the current administration...

Fiscal YearRevenue
FY 2021$3.86 (estimated)
FY 2020$3.71 trillion (estimated)
FY 2019$3.46 trillion (actual)
FY 2018$3.33 trillion
FY 2017$3.32 trillion

In fact if you look at the revenue history there is no correlation between tax rates and revenue increases or decreases. Revenue has generally increased every year with a few exceptions which were due to economic downturns.

So I ask, if deficit reduction is your goal and revenue increases remain even at lower tax rates then what is the justification for a tax increase?

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
If that happens, it's not going to happen because it has to happen.

It will happen because of greed.

Let's not cry for the fat cats just yet.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The senate will thwart changes to JB's tax plans.

You pick JB because he won't appoint right wing nuts to run the government day to day.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The increase in the deficit is from spending. Tax revenue to the treasury has increased every year during the current administration...

Fiscal YearRevenue
FY 2021$3.86 (estimated)
FY 2020$3.71 trillion (estimated)
FY 2019$3.46 trillion (actual)
FY 2018$3.33 trillion
FY 2017$3.32 trillion

In fact if you look at the revenue history there is no correlation between tax rates and revenue increases or decreases. Revenue has generally increased every year with a few exceptions which were due to economic downturns.

So I ask, if deficit reduction is your goal and revenue increases remain even at lower tax rates then what is the justification for a tax increase?
Revenue will always increase with a growing economy, now defend Trump running a huge deficit during a economic boom?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Revenue will always increase with a growing economy, now defend Trump running a huge deficit during a economic boom?
Spending (which happens in Congress). And I’m not defending it.

I have been consistent in my posts here on the fact that our government spends too much, is too big, has too much power.

Is English not your first language? Because I’ve been pretty fucking clear on this issue.

So I ask again, what is the justification for raising taxes?

If you’re so dead set against deficits why do you want to expand the power, reach and spending of the federal government?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Spending (which happens in Congress). And I’m not defending it.

I have been consistent in my posts here on the fact that our government spends too much, is too big, has too much power.

Is English not your first language? Because I’ve been pretty fucking clear on this issue.

So I ask again, what is the justification for raising taxes?

If you’re so dead set against deficits why do you want to expand the power, reach and spending of the federal government?
Because billionaires pay less proportionally in taxes then their secretaries and massively profitable corps often pay zero. Keep drinking the trickle down koolaid, gonna trot out the Laffer next?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Because billionaires pay less proportionally in taxes then their secretaries and massively profitable corps often pay zero. Keep drinking the trickle down koolaid, gonna trot out the Laffer next?
So lower the taxes of the secretaries.

I don’t know what Laffer is. I just gave you the revenue numbers.

Data.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Once again arguing from ignorance of the issue.
What ignorance? I showed you the data. Taxes went down, revenue went up. Sure, if taxes went to zero there’d be less revenue but that’s not what we’re talking about. It has not been proven that an increase in taxes raises revenue, so what’s the justification? If money is going to be taken by force it needs to be justified.

Is it simply that you don’t like people who have more than you?

We both want to reduce deficits (I think) so how is that done? We can see from the historical data on revenue that higher taxes don’t achieve that goal so using deficit reduction as a justification for raising taxes doesn’t pencil out.

The issue is spending. The government needs to cut spending. That is one way to reduce deficits.

The other way is to have policies that support economic growth (as you rightly said above revenue increases are due to growth). Raising capital gains and corporate taxes don’t support economic growth, they hinder it.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
What ignorance? I showed you the data. Taxes went down, revenue went up. Sure, if taxes went to zero there’d be less revenue but that’s not what we’re talking about. It has not been proven that an increase in taxes raises revenue, so what’s the justification? If money is going to be taken by force it needs to be justified.

Is it simply that you don’t like people who have more than you?

We both want to reduce deficits (I think) so how is that done? We can see from the historical data on revenue that higher taxes don’t achieve that goal so using deficit reduction as a justification for raising taxes doesn’t pencil out.

The issue is spending. The government needs to cut spending. That is one way to reduce deficits.

The other way is to have policies that support economic growth (as you rightly said above revenue increases are due to growth). Raising capital gains and corporate taxes to don’t support economic growth.
I am done, your argument is one of a simpleton.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I am done, your argument is one of a simpleton.
Your done because you’re dead wrong and cannot produce any data or evidence whatsoever that rebuts anything I’ve written in this thread.

How does it feel to get smoked by a simpleton?

Done.