Mammoth/June area camping recs?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Getting out of town for a few days and want to go camp in the Mammoth/June area. Planning to leave Monday Night/Tuesday Morning until Friday probably.

All the campsites within 100 miles are first come first serve so was hoping someone could recommend some good public land areas that are somewhat easily accesible (no 4x4) just in case we cant get a site at one of the paid grounds.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I believe all the BLM land areas on the east side of the 395 are open for camping. You won’t get amenities but there are some cool hot springs. Look for the green church by the airport.

Reactions: JBerry and CutnSnip

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If you do dispersed camping please follow the "leave no trace" guidelines. If you're looking for a campsite, better double check. A lot of stuff that opened up, is shutting back down because of the Covid spike. The BLM areas might get crowded. You'll have to fight afoaf for a spot.

• Love
Reactions: $kully

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
If you do dispersed camping please follow the "leave no trace" guidelines. If you're looking for a campsite, better double check. A lot of stuff that opened up, is shutting back down because of the Covid spike. The BLM areas might get crowded. You'll have to fight afoaf for a spot.
Absolutely hear you on the leave no trace and wouldnt do it any other way. Were doing the BLM only if we cant get into a capsite in Mammoth or June.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the campground at silver lake (june loop) was blowed the fk out the first day it opened

what's the deal at Grant Lake? you see people pulled up in their trucks right on shore
like it's fkn mad max. you'd need an EZ-UP, but it seems like there is space to be had
out there, but with slight possibility of neighbors

Reactions: CutnSnip
Jun 24, 2020
It is a good option because I was there and I was amazed by the beauty of nature.
I remember being with friends and family and spending an unforgettable time. Because we all have work, we didn't have much time to spend together, and that camping united us in a beautiful way.
I remember I forgot to take my Vont Hurricane Emergency Collapsible Batteries from amazon.com and we had problems because of it but I got out of the situation and we managed without it. Too bad I took these batteries exactly for camping but I forgot them at home.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
I spent a week in Topaz Lake RV Park, the place is wonderful, I recommend. Also, don't forget to take with you what is needed for camping. The most important, for example, a tactical flashlight with a Vont "Blaze" flashlight (2 PACK), one for you, another for your partner. There are places on the spot where you can take a night walk, so it is a must. It is bright and fits perfectly in your pocket. When you go camping, don't forget to take a spray to fight mosquitoes. These creatures sometimes get me crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBerry

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Benton Hot Springs out past Wild Willys is pretty great too...camping at your private hot tub..we had a great time there..full moon, shrooms, beautiful green grass to throw your sleeping bag out on, no mozzies.
That place is seriously dope. But no mozzies? When were you there?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I spent a week in Topaz Lake RV Park, the place is wonderful, I recommend.
that zone trips me out

last time we were driving through there at like midnight or some god awful hour
and passed 30 lamborghinis racing northbound

my kids asked if we could follow them....the wrong direction!

Jul 22, 2020
California Woodside
Topaz Lake sucks we had been there 2 years ago, but we spent a great time at Silver Lake. Beautiful nature and the campground weren’t crowded, maybe because it was the end of the season. We missed this season because of quarantine, but we get ready for the next one. Hope the situation will definitely get better because I found an RV Share platform, actually a peer-to-peer RV rental platform that provides rental opportunities for those who are looking for an RV for their vacation. Their options seem to be very good, and prices are accessible. I'm going to rent RV from RV Share.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
that zone trips me out

last time we were driving through there at like midnight or some god awful hour
and passed 30 lamborghinis racing northbound

my kids asked if we could follow them....the wrong direction!
They have annual meet ups somewhere on 395. Seen them several times. Last year I was up over Tioga Pass toward eastern side, near the highway and I could hear the lambos coming. Looked down the ridge at the highway and saw four Lamborghinis flying through heading west. I imagine on 395 they really let the cars loose. Also seen them in Death Valley in the winter.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Topaz Lake suck we had been there 2 years ago, but we spent a great time at Silver Lake. Beautiful nature and the campground weren’t crowded, maybe because it was the end of the season.
Topaz, biggest mozzies ever seen! Tried to pit stop and picnic on way to tahoe, nope!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I believe all the BLM land areas on the east side of the 395 are open for camping. You won’t get amenities but there are some cool hot springs. Look for the green church by the airport.
Love that place but when the mosquitoes are in force it's gnarly. Was fishing at the UO right there and got completely attacked. I could see the AIDs/Herpes forming on my forearms and all I could do was run for my life to my truck 1/4 mile away.

• Haha
Reactions: JBerry