Mammoth/June area camping recs?

CutnSnip

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Getting out of town for a few days and want to go camp in the Mammoth/June area. Planning to leave Monday Night/Tuesday Morning until Friday probably.

All the campsites within 100 miles are first come first serve so was hoping someone could recommend some good public land areas that are somewhat easily accesible (no 4x4) just in case we cant get a site at one of the paid grounds.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I believe all the BLM land areas on the east side of the 395 are open for camping. You won’t get amenities but there are some cool hot springs. Look for the green church by the airport.

Reactions: CutnSnip

llilibel03

Phil Edwards status
Jul 28, 2005
If you do dispersed camping please follow the "leave no trace" guidelines. If you're looking for a campsite, better double check. A lot of stuff that opened up, is shutting back down because of the Covid spike. The BLM areas might get crowded. You'll have to fight afoaf for a spot.

• Love
Reactions: $kully

CutnSnip

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
If you do dispersed camping please follow the "leave no trace" guidelines. If you're looking for a campsite, better double check. A lot of stuff that opened up, is shutting back down because of the Covid spike. The BLM areas might get crowded. You'll have to fight afoaf for a spot.
Absolutely hear you on the leave no trace and wouldnt do it any other way. Were doing the BLM only if we cant get into a capsite in Mammoth or June.

Icu812

OTF status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Benton Hot Springs out past Wild Willys is pretty great too...camping at your private hot tub..we had a great time there..full moon, shrooms, beautiful green grass to throw your sleeping bag out on, no mozzies.

Reactions: CutnSnip and $kully

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the campground at silver lake (june loop) was blowed the fk out the first day it opened

what's the deal at Grant Lake? you see people pulled up in their trucks right on shore
like it's fkn mad max. you'd need an EZ-UP, but it seems like there is space to be had
out there, but with slight possibility of neighbors

Reactions: CutnSnip
Jun 24, 2020
It is a good option because I was there and I was amazed by the beauty of nature.
I remember being with friends and family and spending an unforgettable time. Because we all have work, we didn't have much time to spend together, and that camping united us in a beautiful way.
I remember I forgot to take my Vont Hurricane Emergency Collapsible Batteries from amazon.com and we had problems because of it but I got out of the situation and we managed without it. Too bad I took these batteries exactly for camping but I forgot them at home.

Last edited: