Mammoth? 2021

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
set cruise control for under 80 and you're good. Also, slow down in the towns.

I can bet money on when and where people get pulled over on the 395

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Speeding between Lone Pine and Bishop is foolish. And especially between Big Pine and Bishop. I laugh when I see people get pulled over in the same spot that I did once 25 years ago.

Noticed btw, at least going Hwy 5 back north the other day, speed traps are being shown as hazards on google maps display. Wonder how long THAT lasts.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Speeding between Lone Pine and Bishop is foolish. And especially between Big Pine and Bishop. I laugh when I see people get pulled over in the same spot that I did once 25 years ago.

Noticed btw, at least going Hwy 5 back north the other day, speed traps are being shown as hazards on google maps display. Wonder how long THAT lasts.
I hate that drive in the dark now. Too many near misses and brutal head on accidents witnessed. It's just not worth it to hurry plus, in my opinion, it is a beautiful drive. Like you guys noted, we get a good playlist or "book on tape" going and expect to cruise the 7-9 hours it might take to get there or back.

Reactions: One-Off and sdsrfr

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
In the end you save 10-15min by passing and speeding your way up there.
Yup. I've done that stretch of road many times and learned to not bother. There's a passing lane eventually. Last time I did the drive this suburban with a rack full of snowboards came flying past me going 100 in the oncoming traffic lane. Almost caused a collision. Drove like a complete asshole for as long as I could see him... Ended up passing the same vehicle coming down the 15S before the 15/215 interchange. lol.

Reactions: frontsidegrab

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
In the end you save 10-15min by passing and speeding your way up there. One speeding ticket is close to the cost of a weekend of boarding or a new board. And the cost of a collision on that road could be lethal.

I just put on a good playlist, turn up the music, eat a very mild edible and set the adaptive cruise control to 74mph and chill.
look at all that old man wisdom and sh!t

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I hate that drive in the dark now. Too many near misses and brutal head on accidents witnessed. It's just not worth it to hurry plus, in my opinion, it is a beautiful drive. Like you guys noted, we get a good playlist or "book on tape" going and expect to cruise the 7-9 hours it might take to get there or back.
Likewise regarding not hurrying, especially with family in the car. Like you said, just not worth it. We have an extensive playlist of music, including the *shudder* Parry Gripp songs for the kids, although some of the lyrics are pretty funny. This generation's Weird Al, I suppose. If you have a huge line of cars, you are not gaining all that much time passing them just to get stopped by the next chain.

Overall, it's the stops that burn you on time, especially for food. What's the use in hauling ass if you're going to burn 45 minutes in town? If you're really trying to make solid time, pack snacks and drinks for the ride and combine gas/bathroom. Or if you really have high time priorities, bring a catheter...?

Reactions: npsp

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

I mostly got pulled over after Bishop when I’m on the home stretch going up the incline. Usually before Tom’s place.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Can you not fly to mammoth from San Diego or John Wayne
United and that Private Jet outfitter has flights from LAX. Not sure about SD or John Wayne. But when it storms and you want to go the flights don’t always land. I heard they were planning on building up bishop airport and a shuttle system to make access by plane more reliable. But not sure if it ever happened. I’ve never bothered to fly, if I’m dealing with an airport I’m going to Utah.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The 395 gets much better once you pass Ridgecrest. The stretch from I-15N in the high desert to 395N in Ridgecrest is anxiety inducing since it's constant blind hills and single lane. The lane dividers seemed to make a difference but still kind of worrisome. I've watched cars fly off the highway into the dirt because they tried to pass on a blind hill. The Semis make it terrible since some drivers won't move over when the passing lanes appear because they want to get past the bigger semi in front of them.
I've got a better way to get there.

• Haha
Reactions: Muscles

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
Almost got in a head on through that stretch. We were driving back, cruise control set, just cruising along when a SUV coming the opposite direction tried to pass a semi on a double yellow almost directly in front of me. Slammed on my brakes locking them up and he swerved into the dirt (thank god I didn't do the same). No turn signals as to where he was going or anything else, just dumb luck.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The lane dividers were a big help. I don't understand why they didn't make the road two lanes since it's literally out in the middle of nowhere and space isn't an issue.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I

the weekender people in mammoth are kind of the worst, too...
The worst.

I always plan my Mammoth trips Mon-Fri.

Getting out my rock skis - anybody Mammoth bound?
Skied The first week of November, it was fun, uncrowded and snow coverage wasn't bad, except on the steeps.

Going next week, there should be a little sprinkling....

At least it's cold enough for them to make snow.

Early November:

FC23E595-914C-45ED-AB1A-2367E2D9E5DE.jpeg

F4D787A1-5694-48DF-B2AD-03511307F801.jpeg

3895F246-CFE3-46F2-B8CB-19B9D084B2AC.jpeg

48A60152-9D70-4F1E-BE04-B9F74E1EAB8E.jpeg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Yep. I got pulled over going just over 80 two years ago, I think coming into Independence or Big Pine. The cop actually let me off, mostly for slowing down before getting into the town. That was when I was driving up there at least 6-12x per year.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The worst.

I always plan my Mammoth trips Mon-Fri.

Skied The first week of November, it was fun, uncrowded and snow coverage wasn't bad, except on the steeps.

Going next week, there should be a little sprinkling....

At least it's cold enough for them to make snow.

Early November:

View attachment 120003

View attachment 120006

View attachment 120008

View attachment 120009
Yes, during the week. I never went much before thanksgiving. Thanks for the pictures, especially the start of the slog to Dave’s.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Freshly retired, sitting on an unpopped Ikon pass, with no intentions of using it until something significant happens weather wise.
74 MPH is the magic number. Took me 35 years to figure that out.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Freshly retired, sitting on an unpopped Ikon pass, with no intentions of using it until something significant happens weather wise.
74 MPH is the magic number. Took me 35 years to figure that out.
Yep. 8-9 over is the sweet spot :beer: I’ve been popped for 12 over in a 65 :foreheadslap:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Yes. The old Blackie's Crew in Newport just had a reunion with Ilima who was visiting from Maui. Ilima and my brother were living in Newport years back on 17th St near Market Basket (gone now).My brother was on the Costa Mesa PD for a while before he went to the Santa Ana PD and retired a few years back after 44 years with Santa Ana. Now he worked for the LA County Sheriff's Dept. Ilima won the Huntington Beach Contest in 1962,, retired and living life.

Haven't heard the name Market Basket since I was probably 10. Haha. Ex-wife booked a room at Austria Hof last weekend and didn't go, so I gladly took her paid for room and my youngest grom up. Main Lodge was a nightmare over the weekend. No parking probably all the way past the Mill for at least 1/2 mile. Nice and icy, but my oldest grom was loving the icy conditions at the top and use of his friend's dad's Black Pass. Told me I should get one. Yeah, $12,000. I don't think so.

Canyon was only open to take 16 to the open lifts. Made parking easy. Did a little fishing near Pleasant Valley on the drive back.

1638343506701.jpeg

1638343445803.jpeg

1638343485479.jpeg
1638343208488.jpeg

Went to Santa Barbara the weekend before turkey day for my birthday and it somehow turned into a quest to see the Monarchs.
1638343835213.jpeg