Maldives, worth it?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Looking at doing a delayed 2 week honeymoon April/May '21 if it's possible by then. It's also going to be very close to the end of her Medical Residency so that's extra cause for celebration. She's been on about going somewhere tropical, all inclusive, five star, overwater rooms, etc. and has specifically mentioned the Maldives. I've already accepted I'm going to be dumping loads of cash I'd rather not spend (but whatever, she deserves it) so I might as well get some good surf out of it.
Anyone done one of these? I'm having trouble figuring out which spot to zero in on. It seems like you're relying on boat transfers to surf almost everywhere and booking surf passes or whatever though third party "surf travel" agencies. Checking out the "surf" pages on some of these resorts turns up some underwhelming videos. Anyone had any success, tips?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
not sure how upmarket your tastes are but this is any far the best report to stay at for quality waves.
Lohis=best left in Maldives.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've been to Hudhuranfushi (Lohi's). Caught some really fun waves there. It is nice to have a rippable wave on the island. I'd definitely recommend it for the surf convenience factor.

If you're looking for 5 star, check into the 4 Seasons on Kuda Huraa. It's pretty centrally located with plenty of spots within 15 minutes by boat. This set-up is 5 minutes away.

1595471514921.png

Last edited:

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Do it. I did a boat trip there about 10 years ago in August & scored some really fun, amazing surf. The non-surf stuff is great, too. I’ve convinced my wife that we need to go there for a milestone anniversary. Should probably start saving up now

Reactions: mundus

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
If I was going to the Maldives, spending Maldives money, I'd 1000% want to be at a place with walk-to surf access.

I'll never, ever, ever, go on a surf trip where I have to get in a boat with 8-12 people to go surfing.
100%, especially when they're charging you every time you hop on a boat to go surf. Outside of Lohis, which I don't think will be quite high end enough the options are limited when it comes to an easy access wave

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Heard the Maldives is overrun with Israeli surfers with horrible behavior,

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
100%, especially when they're charging you every time you hop on a boat to go surf. Outside of Lohis, which I don't think will be quite high end enough the options are limited when it comes to an easy access wave
Pasta Point?

Heard the Maldives is overrun with Israeli surfers with horrible behavior,
A few years back they had to evac some Israeli tourists after one of them pulled down an anti-Israeli sign or poster or some sh!t.

Also, imagine being such a ding dong the guide you are paying tells you to cool it. So you poun' 'em.

According to Maldives Finest, three Israeli tourists beat up their surf guide while on a trip to the Maldives last month.

The guide was apparently attacked in mid-September after he told the three men that they needed to respect the local surfing etiquette and the other surfers at Thanburudhoo.

• Haha
Reactions: rts265

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
At Lohi's, they didn't charge us to get on the boat. There were usually 2 or 3 boats you could hop on each day, or just stay at the resort. Some of them had 10-15 people on them (which sucked), others were pretty empty. We did tip the boat drivers at the end of the week.

Have you considered Namotu?

Reactions: mundus

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Pasta Point also has a left out the front, is in the Maldives, and it has over-water rooms.

Moorea?

I want to say there's a Club Med or something similar in the SoPac with reef passes out the front.