Maldives rights to surf

Jun 7, 2017
Does anyone know what the score is with the madives and the rights to surf all the waves. There was a few media threads and articles a few years ago abut the government taking away the rights from the breaks such as lohis and pasta point to allow a more open access to all the waves in the maldives.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
just got back from there ,lohis and pasta point is still private and if you hit it you will get harassed unofficially , Sultans was off the charts and Ninjas last week , wish i knew how to put pics up had a blast , the water temp ,heat and sun power is off the charts though

Mar 2, 2009
Hey Ranch, did you happen to stay at Pasta Point? If so, who did you book through? It seems like there's several options.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
sorry PS no amigo , if i went back i would stay at the club med place off Ninjas , easy access , no boat paddle out , was with wife so it was four seasons Kuda..was worth every penny on a stock i made big $ on , couple guys here did pasta point , looked amazing on the shots , that thread has to be here somewhere

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I was at Lohi's October last year and there were no outside boats that came to surf it.

The island is still advertising that guests get exclusive access to the break.

Boats were going past, but they would drop people at other nearby breaks.

If the gov't did allow open access, boats still seem to be abiding by private access guidelines.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I was wondering how the private access was going, since I heard of the "supposed" open rights for all to surf the resort "owned" breaks. It seems the local resort surfers are still silently enforcing the old rules of exclusivity. They depend on their "exclusive" break for return visitors. They've finally limited surfers at the resorts to prevent overcrowding their own and other breaks. Plenty of other breaks for the live aboard boaters to hang at, but when smaller Lohi's can be the better spot, while Pasta can be the better spot when swell is maxing. At medium sizes (head high to not quite 2x o'head), all the spots are pretty good if winds cooperate.

Reminds me of Tavarua and resort surfers/guides harassing main island boat renters surfing Cloudbreak back in the 90's. Some of the maverick boat renter guys were ending up stranded out there (hanging out on the contest scaffold hut waiting) and Tavarua locals had to take them in, and boat them back to the main island. So they were discouraging/harrassing the guys renting a boat on the main island, because not all "captains" of those little outboard boats were reputable.