Maldives in May

JLW

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 7, 2004
I thought I posted this a few days ago but I can't seem to find the thread anywhere. So here it is again

1. Any suggestions on when to go and what kinds of waves to expect? I was thinking early May.

2. How's the weather in early May? Can I expect the days to be pretty sunny? The reason I ask is that my wife is coming and I want her to be happy.

3. Anyone done the seaplane charter to find surf? How many people do you go with? What was that like?

4. Anyone been to Hudhuranfushi resort? Any other suggestions? Once again, looking for really nice places to stay since my wife will be with me.

Basically, I'm looking to get the best waves possible while still keeping the wife happy. So the weather needs to be reasonably nice and the amenities gotta be top notch.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
4. Hudhuranfushi has a really fun wave and boat access to other great spots as well. There is stuff for your wife to do (snorkel, massage, yoga), but I wouldn't call the amenities top notch. It's a nice resort and nothing felt run down or anything, just not top notch.

Maybe you should be looking into the 4 Seasons Maldives

They have a couple of really good waves out front and the amenities would obviously be top notch.

Not sure about May. I went in early October.

JLW

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 7, 2004
4. Hudhuranfushi has a really fun wave and boat access to other great spots as well. There is stuff for your wife to do (snorkel, massage, yoga), but I wouldn't call the amenities top notch. It's a nice resort and nothing felt run down or anything, just not top notch.

Maybe you should be looking into the 4 Seasons Maldives

They have a couple of really good waves out front and the amenities would obviously be top notch.

Not sure about May. I went in early October.

thanks a lot for the input. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Four Seasons starts at $1000 USD per night and goes way up from there. I guess you get what you pay for....

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
thanks a lot for the input. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Four Seasons starts at $1000 USD per night and goes way up from there. I guess you get what you pay for....
Maybe you could look into the Ocean Villas on Hudhuranfushi. That would definitely give it a more upscale feel. They are located on the other side of the island from the surf break, so you'll have a 15 minute walk to check the surf each morning, but it might give you what you're looking for. I stayed in the beach villas right on the break, and although I have no complaints whatsoever about them, I just wouldn't call them "top notch."

I have no idea how much the Ocean Villas are, however.

Also, a few of the guys (Aussies) I met there make a couple of surf trips to Hudhuranfushi each year. They said they typically went in May and October because it was the best balance of waves, weather, surf, and crowds. Weather can be unpredictable any month with random tropical storms whipping through quickly but they typically don't last too long.

I will say that the week before I wen't (in October), it was flat and windy for like 7-10 days straight. So the people who booked that week had no surf the entire time with less than ideal weather. That's pretty rare there for that time of year, but you just never know. You can''t let that hold you back though.

Last edited: