Malcom Campbell Alpha Omega Twin ride report....UPDATE!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Really had a fun session on AO kinda low end grovel waves left reef sets waist to shoulder and peaks has short rights two other guys out no other waves in area unless you boat or have key. Man bun world cup middle age guy was to deep to go right (other two middle age guys kept going right) so I grabbed the right and got 1 pump turn and 2 solid otl's and had speed for rentry but no real lip to hit. This was easily bezt wave of session and bezt wave I have had on my AO so far. I noticed board rides bezt with wider then shoulder width stance and of course back foot over twin cluster. I caught some nice lefts backside but again noticed if feet shoulder width twin spun out on sometimes on bs bottom turn. Also really tested how well my AO paddles and catches waves pretty easily with plenty of float. The beak nose seems to help the board push over peak and allow you to catch wave.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Got good point break surf today and the thing just clicked.

Feels like I made a deal with the devil. As the waves got bigger the board went better.

It‘s LESS prone to slide out the faster it goes and it goes fucking fast.

Foot positioning is very important. Seems almost like there is zero room for error with where your feet go.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I agree re the sweet spot/weight distribution. Get it right and it feels like cheating.
Yes. Another surf this morning and I thought about your ‘weight distribution’ comment.

It isn’t so much foot placement as it is center of gravity weight dist.

You can’t just lean over to turn it. Your center of gravity needs to be in the same sweet spot whether you’re going straight, doing a toe side turn or heel side turn. Your weight needs to be pushing down into the stringer.

it’s a feeling that‘s hard to explain really.

let’s just say you can’t be sloppy or lazy when you ride it.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yes. Another surf this morning and I thought about your ‘weight distribution’ comment.

It isn’t so much foot placement as it is center of gravity weight dist.

You can’t just lean over to turn it. Your center of gravity needs to be in the same sweet spot whether you’re going straight, doing a toe side turn or heel side turn. Your weight needs to be pushing down into the stringer.

it’s a feeling that‘s hard to explain really.

let’s just say you can’t be sloppy or lazy when you ride it.
After already tearing one pad off and going wax I am going pad again to try to keep back foot in sweet spot more often. I specially backside find my back foot way to far back on first bottom turn and go for a slippery slide. I am waiting for a astro deck Christian Fletcher wide tail 3 x pad. It has nice swallow shape look alright up higher on tail then normal.

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
After already tearing one pad off and going wax I am going pad again to try to keep back foot in sweet spot more often. I specially backside find my back foot way to far back on first bottom turn and go for a slippery slide. I am waiting for a astro deck Christian Fletcher wide tail 3 x pad. It has nice swallow shape look alright up higher on tail then normal.
After you put on the new pad, would you mind snapping a photo of the pad placement and posting it? Thanks

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I can’t believe you’d sully such a fine work of art with a hideous tail pad.

Beat it kook!!!!

PS: too far forward is worse than too far back.

• Haha

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I can’t believe you’d sully such a fine work of art with a hideous tail pad.

Beat it kook!!!!

PS: too far forward is worse than too far back.
I really like CF astro pad on my 2x4 step up swallow and the swallow shape should help make the pad not look as far forward as it is since wings go out 3"...:)

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Put that on your AO and you’re dead to me.
I figure the leverage worth it and its unlike any other bonzer I have owned which feel the same way no pad ever. I remember used bumblebee I scored otr used at beach house had rasta pad I had to tear off:) No worries I never surf bedwetters any way ...

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
The 6’4 shreds. Paddled into larger waves like a dream. can see a 6’6 in the future.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Welp, latest continuing run of swell has given me more time on this bad boy and, uh, well...

...I found out it has another gear.

Also, the juicier the wave the better it holds.

Surfed this morning at point break, head high to more than head high, overlapping swell, double-ups, sections, ripping current.

Would have been nice to have more paddle power (that’s being made now) but jesus christo this board is ridiculously fast and loose. Check turn/stall and the fuckking thing accelerates.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
That particular wave is where I did the test piloting on the first versions. It was pretty much like peanut butter and chocolate. A/O #1 is still sitting in my racks. Cut six of them today. Strange days. Some people don't have enough to eat and are losing their homes. Others are lining up out the door to buy multiple surfboards.

An inside tip for whoever is interested, Stussy came by and he has 50 brand new boards stashed at his house. He just felt like making some boards. They aren't for anybody in particular and he doesn't want to sell them wholesale. If you want immediate gratification AND a brand new Stussy, contact him. Or me I suppose.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

For the hell of it, the above are old pictures of one of my personals. And the painting was a gift and the pillow was something my wife liked. The leather couch replaced the infamous salmon colored couch. And I loved that damn dog. I breathlessly await input from the erBB's flock of interior decorators.