Malcom Campbell Alpha Omega Twin ride report....UPDATE!

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Had a few sessions on it now.

definitely not a board you just jump on and surf with any kind of familiarity. It’s different, but not in a bad way. It just takes a little bit more to get used to. All of my surfs have been in beach break from smaller mush with some decent sections, walled barrels and slopey nor Easter. I haven’t gotten it in “good” surf, but more days with moments of “good” surf (welcome to the northeast). haven’t had it in something like point surf where you get a more consistently similar wave that can be ideal to dial in a board like this to figure out it’s nuances.

when everything comes together it’s fast and very loose. Definitely a completely different feel from any board I’ve ever had. I’ve ridden all types of twins pretty much from the start of my surf career and have had moments of exclusively riding them; the current one being my longest stretch. When you tap into its potential you’ll have the speed to get past just about any section Short of a close out. Made a long section that’s hard to make, and had to straighten off to avoid hitting the jetty. Had one backside turn in the pocket today that just generated speed through it. Actually has felt best backside so far.

I’m definitely liking the board A LOT. I’m liking the feel and figuring out such a new feel in a surfboard. Paddles better than anything in my quiver right now which is awesome. Excited to get it into some more waves. I know I’ll get some winter days soon that are just tailor made for a board like this.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Had a few sessions on it now.

definitely not a board you just jump on and surf with any kind of familiarity. It’s different, but not in a bad way. It just takes a little bit more to get used to. All of my surfs have been in beach break from smaller mush with some decent sections, walled barrels and slopey nor Easter. I haven’t gotten it in “good” surf, but more days with moments of “good” surf (welcome to the northeast). haven’t had it in something like point surf where you get a more consistently similar wave that can be ideal to dial in a board like this to figure out it’s nuances.

when everything comes together it’s fast and very loose. Definitely a completely different feel from any board I’ve ever had. I’ve ridden all types of twins pretty much from the start of my surf career and have had moments of exclusively riding them; the current one being my longest stretch. When you tap into its potential you’ll have the speed to get past just about any section Short of a close out. Made a long section that’s hard to make, and had to straighten off to avoid hitting the jetty. Had one backside turn in the pocket today that just generated speed through it. Actually has felt best backside so far.

I’m definitely liking the board A LOT. I’m liking the feel and figuring out such a new feel in a surfboard. Paddles better than anything in my quiver right now which is awesome. Excited to get it into some more waves. I know I’ll get some winter days soon that are just tailor made for a board like this.
Its all about foot placement and putting your back foot right on fin cluster. Hard to find sweet spot at first I had to remove a pad and go wax then I put a Christian Fletcher wide tail pad proper placing for AO (back fin line with start of kick) pad police no no and she goes:shaka:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I just did no pad. Foot placement definitely seems integral.
Its a nice guide specially if you surf other boards and go back but for long time its been AO only and when I had wax only I would blow waves stepping on back (normal back) of tail and board spun right out:drowning:

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
6’4 x 20 3/4 x 2 11/16

Sizing based off the one posted by @rts265

Not exact same dims but close. A bit thinner and a bit narrower. Glassed strong.

Thank you, Malcom and especially GWS.

Can’t wait to ride it....

View attachment 107982
View attachment 107983
are you happy with this as a step up?

and for sizing , did you ksut go with the stock 6-4 dims or was it custom?

I have a 5-10 that's my DD and may trade for a "stock" 6-2 and wasn't sure if it would be too large a board for a step up or I should try to get a custom

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
are you happy with this as a step up?

and for sizing , did you ksut go with the stock 6-4 dims or was it custom?

I have a 5-10 that's my DD and may trade for a "stock" 6-2 and wasn't sure if it would be too large a board for a step up or I should try to get a custom
Yes. I’d probably go a touch narrower.

I don’t know what the “stock” dimensions would be.

How much do you weigh?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
my entry from today's community surf journal thread:
Man, the AO is gonna take some time to figure out. Very different from my other twins- certainly less fishy. Felt very loose when releasing from turns but never felt like it was going to spin out, if that makes sense. Was hyper responsive to adjustments. Tried to fade a little on big drop, and it just locked in and shot me straight towards the left, and I by the time I recovered I missed the section. Had some good turns and moments but never felt like I surfed an entire wave well. Sigh.
:foreheadslap:

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour