Makua VLOG

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
I enjoy Barley's blog because he so clearly puts a lot of time and effort into it, and frankly his tube riding is phenomenal. Not just Outer Banks phenomenal but world class. Remember that year he was in the Pipe Masters?

Also, he's a genuinely likable guy without all the bro-brah stuff.

Ben Gravy's novelty wore off pretty fast. JOB is still worth watching, again because he's just a phenomenal surfer -- and he seems to have toned down the Jackass stuff now that he's what, 40?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Makua has always triggered me. He tries SO hard to be hawaiian that it's like an SNL pidgin sketch. I once heard him say "Hawaii" 3 different ways in one 30 minutes ASP broadcast. The first one: extra loc-dawg with a V. The second: no V but nailed the glottal stops like a semi truck. The 3rd: he done slipped up and spoke it how he does in his head. As haole as I say it.
You’re not the only one.

He’s super insecure about his status as a Hawaiian cause his genes pull strongly from his haole dads side and he’s very light skinned. Way lighter then a lot of haoles and he wants it to be known he’s hawaiian.

I remember him growing up. Would see him around. He ran his mouth a lot for a fat out of shape kid from kahuku high. But he knew he was a protected citizen so he was free to act like a jackass.

His pidgin isn’t even pidgin. It’s over exaggerated nonsense. And you can tell he puts it on more if he knows he’s being filmed.

Real pidgin is the stuff from plantations. Makuas is his own reality.

In a way I kind of feel bad for him at times growing up in his situation. Kids growing up with criminal moron fathers are bound to turn out badly.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I've been in the line-up with JOB maybe a dozen times and I have never seen a problem. He's always seemed friendly enough, even after I accidentally stuffed him on a wave.
JOB is nice enough. Weird weird dude in real life. He used to show up at random hs parties back in the day and people would wonder who invited him.

• Haha
Reactions: stringcheese

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
How come Makua talk differently from Koa?
Different fathers.

You’re not the only one.

He’s super insecure about his status as a Hawaiian cause his genes pull strongly from his haole dads side and he’s very light skinned. Way lighter then a lot of haoles and he wants it to be known he’s hawaiian.
How did he decide this was as important as accomplishing stuff, standing on his own two feet, and building a solid reputation?

On the genetic side, in general men are darker than women so it can be tough to find a woman if you are too light and have no other selling points.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Add our erBB "reviews" to a pile, and start sorting....

We the viewers enjoy watching people who enjoy what they are doing and share a genuine enthusiasm for it.
Not so fun if you're playing it up and we can tell you're selling it.
If you act like a badass that everyone needs to recognize how cool you are....we'd rather see you lose your sponsors.

Now which version sells the most shirts and hats?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
thats what weird to me - blow in calling people into waves at a spot thats way more local to you, than her. like, "yea i know its my turn, I actually live here!"
Nah she's a local girl and a world champ, she can take all the waves she wants. Plus she is actually a very cool person to surf with, humble and chill and fvckin riiiiiips.

Her dad is whole other story.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
The prices at Sunrise Shack are pretty steep when you compare them to the other options on NS too tbh.

Props to Makua for starting a business and making some money, can't be easy trying to make a living as an ex-pro with another 40+ years of life ahead of you. Copying his brother's (and the Smiths') success isn't a bad plan. Whether people will continue to shell out that much money for bagels idk, but I'm pretty sure they sold out on their first day.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Its a good point about Makua.

He is probably around 35-36 and the money is going to start drying up. Got to find something.

On another note- Landon MacNamara is far worst then Makua.