Makua VLOG

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I noticed the amount of views is terrible for most Surf Vlogs. Unless your Nathan Florence, Brett Barley, or Koa Rothman.

I'd imagine the amount of time invested isn't paying off with the amount of views they get.
Is JOB still making a successful go of it? 2 or 3 years ago (the winter Truth's daughter lived in my hood and I was more tuned into what the kids were watching) it seemed like he had the most watched "channel".

Edit: Whoops, I posted before reading the whole thread.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Erm, other than the intro i didnt notice any surfing while fast forwarding through.

these guys need someone else to be producer and have final cut. kind of reminds me of the movie Almost Famous and the thing about having to keep rock stars honest in media or else they’ll just try and make themselves look cool and and ruin it all.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
makua paddled out and thought he would just be in top 3 position and get a set - seen him up
here over the years

asked him if i come to pipeline can i immediately get in the rotation? told him he needed to get in line - he didnt really know how to respond so he did the dont come to the north shore act
Haha. I could have told that story for you and I wasn’t even there. After reading your first post I knew exactly what happened.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Gotta say one thing for Eddie ,managed to stay top of the food chain for a long time.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
How did Eddie even end up here?

Really irks me how he claims to be protecting the north shore. If he was- he wouldn’t have sold drugs for years and ruined families and got people hooked on it.
I think that's what Casa was getting at when he said he wanted an Eddie VLOG where he covers his early life growing up in Philadelphia.

He's from Phillie, and he's thinks he's here to help you. I guess selling drugs is a good way to make "friends" in a new community.

I feel like I can see the worry in Ben Gravy in recent things he does. He's got that "fvvk, I need to find a job" vibe.

Edit: just for fun compared a few quick YouTube channels... the most popular surf vlogs are significantly less popular than any videos of random kids reviewing makeup, and not in the same universe as the amount of views Jack Black gets for screaming at video game screens.
YouTube is a bubble. I'm not sure it's even profitable. We're all going to have to grow up and get real jobs. It's brutal.

Reactions: mundus

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
It will be funny when the VLOG bubble bursts, as it is becoming oversaturated. Seems like it all started with JOB and his Who is JOB 2.0 (or whatever it was called).

But you can tell the content is getting stale. I do like Koa, but all his VLOG consists of is "time to go to sunrise shack" "watch me surf pipeline" "watch me surf Rocky Point". Rinse and Repeat.

PS: The way he uses his $500 espresso machine is atrocious.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
It started with people filming things to share because they wanted to film things and share them. It was fun.
We can tell the difference in "look how much fun im having, I filmed this to share" and "look, I'm having a lot of fun, and you can too with this hydroflax"

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Views are down even with the covid surfer influx? Sure it's not just typical winter slowdown ?