Making waves: These women are challenging ‘skinny and hairless’ surfing stereotypes

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
as many have seen and can attest, I was an obese surfer for several years. I never felt shamed by anyone but myself. So I did something about it. Sure as hell didn’t celebrate it

genetics are a thing, yes, and some are prone to pack on the pounds more easily. Life isn’t fair. If you want to lose weight you need to eat less, whatever that “less” may be. Some stay thin with zero effort. Some do not. I gained about 15 pounds back this summer, having more carbs in the house (nephew) and summer living in general but I was by NO means eating like a pig. Lots more socializing and office time, just those minor little things, and the weight started climbing slowly but surely. that’s my genetics. I decided I like having a six pack and looking as lean as I did these past couple of years. Aside from the health benefits, looking good feels good And vice versa,

so, I will just go back to eating 1.5 modest meals per day and will be back to 165 in a month. Will I be hungry sometimes? Yes.

maybe I take this sort of self discipline for granted now after years of staying off the sauce. But, if you are willing to endure a little bit of deprivation in modest doses, the weight falls off. Period

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Nobody cares if you’re fat. Just surf.
Exactly. Or if you’re whatever go do whatever. Sure there’s dicks everywhere so you’ll get some side eye and maybe overhear a rude comment or two but no more than any other clueless kook starting out at something.

The biggest gatekeeper stopping anyone from doing something is the one in the mirror.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
These women have unhealthy lifestyles.

They should not be applauded, celebrated or promoted as role models, any more than people who pursue unhealthy lifestyles against ALL relevant medical advice by consuming large quantities of drugs and/or alcohol.

These women do the same bad things, but with food.

Reactions: npsp

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Sorry that was kind of preachy :drowning:
No it wasn't. It was spot on and any and all reading should take note. You are motivated to do better and you had the willpower to see it through. And it payed dividends for you.

I had a new chicky a couple years ago that was a workout fiend and I decided I needed to do better so I took up running. But not just running.. I was doing 200 yard sprints on the wet sand and then walk the next jetty which is 200 yards. And then do that over and over for about 45 minutes which equals about 2-1/2 miles but all interval training.
It was the best way for me to work out because I don't like going to a gym.
Running in wet sand is awesome because it works the core also. You don't get the bounce from hard surface so you have to pull up every step with your core.

I dumped 20 pounds in about 4 months doing that and was lifting some free weights also. Never felt better.

Well, she dumped me and now I'm back up 15 pounds but still hiking and watching my intake so back to normal. :)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
These women have unhealthy lifestyles.

They should not be applauded, celebrated or promoted as role models, any more than people who pursue unhealthy lifestyles against ALL relevant medical advice by consuming large quantities of drugs and/or alcohol.

These women do the same bad things, but with food.
This.

I could care less about how fat someone is.

But it's destructive to population, especially youth population, to display obesity as something to be applauded or (even worse) perfectly healthy.

We shame smokers and alcoholics yet a huge percentage (perhaps even a majority?) of chronic medical issues are a direct result of obesity.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
When I did search n rescue for a bit before breaking my back, they brought in a nutritional expert one day who during the lunch break of a day long lecture overheard some jovial fat shaming. Upon returning to the afternoon part of the lecture, he started out by bringing 3 of us up on stage, and proceeded to dispell many myths about body types. He took a carrot type, an apple type and a pear type. Did all the corresponding caliper measures of their fat, and showed that the obese looking guy, pear shape, actually held the least body fat percentage. The skinny carrot type broad shoulder guy held the highest, and the apple bulked out skinny leg guy held the middle ground. Upon looking at them you would have thought exactly the opposite.

I'm not saying whales and Moby Dicks don't exist, just saying it's good to not judge a book by its cover.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I personally like having a bit of insulation in cold water. Then there is Lynn Cox.

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Let's face it, we...meaning the western world and particularly America, is energy blind and calorie rich.

We burn hydrocarbons as is they are in endless supply and we manufacture high fat, high salt, sugary foods. This is not a good place to be going for the future resilience of humans.

Energy supplies will continue to decline and increase in price, freshwater supplies will continue to dwindle and become more polluted. Food will be drastically affected by this. The folks who have excess body fat due to poor eating choices and sedentary lifestyle will be negatively impacted and I predict shamed to unprecedented levels when this new reality becomes unavoidable.

The time is now to start reducing your energy footprint, grow your own food, hunt for your protein. We have an unsustainable economic and energy system. The house of cards will come crashing down and we can see glimmers of this happening in Europe and California.

By the way, did anyone tell the stars of that editorial, that Somalia is facing it's worst drought and famine in 40 years?

Last edited:
Reactions: JSC

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Let's face it, we...meaning the western world and particularly America, is energy blind and calorie rich.

We burn hydrocarbons as is they are in endless supply and we manufacture high fat, high salt, sugary foods. This is not a good place to be going for the future resilience of humans.

Energy supplies will continue to decline and increase in price, freshwater supplies will continue to dwindle and become more polluted. Food will be drastically affected by this. The folks who have excess body fat due to poor eating choices and sedentary lifestyle will be negatively impacted and I predict shamed to unprecedented levels when this new reality becomes unavoidable.

The time is now to start getting your reducing your energy footprint, grow your own food, hunt for your protein. We have an unsustainable economic and energy system. The house of cards will come crashing down and we can see glimmers of this happening in Europe and California.

By the way, did anyone tell the stars of that editorial, that Somalia is facing it's worst drought and famine in 40 years?
Why you hate Darwinism so much?

:drowning::drowning::drowning:

Reactions: TangTonic

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
From my other post with the song purify from Marcus Gad:

Purify your body head to toe
Your thoughts inna your mind and slowly make Jah rhythm flow
Nature is the keeper of your body and your soul
Even all of that you’ll never truly own

Brothers sisters watch out what you put in your body
If you are what you eat then think about what you must be
If you still feed yourself upon their industry
They sell the whole world illusion of fertility
Robbing humans, animals and plants of their dignity
To feed the masses but to feed their greed specially
They breed the hybrid and manipulate Jah very seeds
Agro-chemistry is like a war technology
They destroyed all over the Earth the soil microbiology
To bring about a new kind of captivity
Control the food and you control the whole of humanity

Look into infinity, humble before a Tree
And Purify…

Bring a healing to a nation
Give them the seed for plantation
Sovereignty resides in the heart of the land
And what you a go do with the strength inna your hands

The seeds they took away and wiped away all diversity
Testing their madness in the soils of so-called third world countries
To force the people in labor and poverty
Dis a what ya call a modern day slavery
Referenced mostly hybrids in them legal catalog
Made all ancient seeds illegal like any drug
So you must buy their machines and their chemicals
And produce all the food according to their laws

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Exactly. Or if you’re whatever go do whatever. Sure there’s dicks everywhere so you’ll get some side eye and maybe overhear a rude comment or two but no more than any other clueless kook starting out at something.

The biggest gatekeeper stopping anyone from doing something is the one in the mirror.
People make fun of me for going bald.

I guess i should quit surfing and start foiling.