Make or Break: Wozzle TV show

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Got sucked into this on Apple TV the other night. watched the first ep which featured JJF and Tyler Wright.
My main takeaways:
1) After watching most surf clips the past few years on my phone or laptop... the quality of the 4k production on the bigger TV screen is pretty incredible.
2) Damn, honolua bay looked so fun for that women's event... before the fatal shark attack that postponed the event of course.
3) I have to admit, the behinds-the-scenes access documentary style is kinda cool to see a bit more of the characters. Had pretty much forgotten that Tyler missed almost 2 years with a mystery virus. Pretty dramatic stuff for a pro athlete in their prime.

Will probably watch the rest. looks like 2nd ep is about the brazzos, Italo and Gabs.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
i watched episode 1

was a snooze fest to me. not enough surfing, not enough interesting non-surfing stuff. make or break gets it 'just right' on the lack of anything to appeal to my sensibilities

Reactions: rowjimmytour

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
First episode was kind of meh. The rest of them were pretty good.

The Steph and Gabby episodes were really interesting.

Sage throws a tantrum and cusses Tati out on the beach in Mex. That was funny.

Reactions: oeste858

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
not enough interesting non-surfing stuff.
That's probably because most surfers are not very interesting people. Heck, most of the people I "admire" for any ability are not very interesting aside from that ability itself. Reason why I rarely read biographies of or interviews with musicians or other artists I might love. They speak through their art. Surfing isn't any different.

Reactions: Boneroni

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
1) After watching most surf clips the past few years on my phone or laptop... the quality of the 4k production on the bigger TV screen is pretty incredible.
This, one hundred percent.

Just finished the series. The lady enjoyed watching it, which made it more fun.

My main issue was they don't go deep enough on the interesting stories. Seven episodes just felt too limiting. And I'm sure pro surfers (like most other athletes) aren't super willing to share the most compelling parts of their lives.

Did a good job of humanizing Gabby and Felipe, though.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I never even knew Steph had a boyfriend. :shrug:

I thought she was lesbian. :ROFLMAO:
i assumed she was asexual.
LOL
I wonder if she’s a huge sports star in Oz, like her dating life in tabloids and stuff.

edit: saw the Steph ep last night. Her BF appears to have zero personality, he's a bottom for sure. They do not seem like a fun couple to hang with outside the events

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jkb

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
She makes a comment about how lucky the guys are that they can just pop out a family without impacting their surf careers. Made it seem like she's just fully dedicated to competing – probably how you win 7 world titles – and when the shows over maybe she'll think about settling down.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
My main issue was they don't go deep enough on the interesting stories. Seven episodes just felt too limiting. And I'm sure pro surfers (like most other athletes) aren't super willing to share the most compelling parts of their lives.
[/QUOTE]

Apple+ executives approved Season 2 for "Make or Break" before the first season was finished - so impressed were they with the work of the Box to Box producers.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I liked it. Actually made me like Gabby more than I thought possible; Mick was right, he's a good dude! Got board of the girls bits apart from Steph's show. I think the rascal rookies episode was the best.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I enjoyed it. to be honest if they went deeper into each person there are many that would have lost interest so I thought they did a good job of switching it up.

So glad they kept my relationship with steph out of the series. Now my wife can watch it.
Yikes. HD tv is not her friend. I assumed you dumped her by text after watching that.
...The SeaHag, not your wife.
images.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Boneroni and jkb

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i skip over the surfers i dont care about
skipped right over to gabby getting with this chick, she says "everyone thinks i am gonna ruin his career"
fast forward and gabe dropped off the tour, considered permanent retirement. then he broke up with her and hes schedualed to return to wsl

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Did Muletooth Cibilic make the finals his rookie year then fall off the second year??
I can’t believe he and Coffin made the finals

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
First ep was ok, but kinda tried to fit a lot in. JJF story was a bit flat. Tyler's was anticlimactic since the final was sh!t.

I didn't finish the other episodes yet vut I started Ep 2.
Imagine if all of the English speakers on tour had to learn Portuguese instead of the other way around.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I never even knew Steph had a boyfriend. :shrug:

I saw a photo where his face was blocked and was like "Oh sh!t, Steph's finally got a man again".

I think she he had a bit of drama with how people within the tour talked about her dating life for a while. And I can imagine being stalked and attacked by some dude could impact your future relationships..

Reactions: jkb and Boneroni