Mainland Offseason

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Trying to get away for a quick, relatively inexpensive week of surf in Dec/Jan. Want to mix it up beyond the typical east coaster spots (CR, PR, Carib) that tend to have 50/50 odds of being around waist to chest at best. Any consistency to mainland mex in the offseason, is there enough southern hemi action in the off season to keep things in the "fun" range?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It is almost never flat, and I am pretty sure some limited NW swell gets into a couple of specific areas.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Some of the best rights I've ever surfed were just south of the mouth of the Rio Aramria during a X-mas break trip. Mainland is almost always a safe "off season" bet.
If you think that Tecoman is a shithole (I do) you'll appreciate it after spending time in Armeria. IMHO Nexpa is the call.

• Love
Reactions: npsp

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If you are a 15 year old sponsored surfer who can speak some Spanish and likes racktacular 14 year olds with dark brown hair and deep tans, Tecoman is the way and the light. There'll be a pink/purple close-fitting top with a plunging neckline and vacuum-bagged jeans on the freshly ripened breeder rig posted up in the storefront selling clothes just like that. My trip will be to hell but how can they be so big, so young? How well fed can babies be?

I can't imagine Pascuales going literally flat even in the off season, and it faces/catches more WNW than Puerto. Plan on the better sets being 2x the surfline regional forecast on the face. Anything more than like 1 @ 13 and sets will be pushing head. Nexpa wouldn't be my first choice Dec/Jan sight unseen but it has a back beach and I doubt Uncle Ogro would steer you wrong. Caleta de Campos is a nicer town than Tecoman.

Logistically the trip isn't necessarily easy unless the times line up for you to fly into Manzanillo. Not what I would do in hurricane season but sounds sound in Dec/Jan. Colima doesn't have many flights. I would plan on an hour and a half, not counting waiting for the bus, between walking out of the airport with your sh!t and asking Maru for a room at Edgar's from Colima/Manzanillo. Plan on 4+, not counting on waiting for buses, to get from Guad to Colima, Colima to Tecoman. Tack on another hour if you're leaving Guad between 6am and 9am or 4pm and 6pm on a weekday.

Reactions: npsp